Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Jul 2024, 09:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 07:41 
Insiders
Insiders

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/115380/tribes-acquired-tribes-universe-announced

Man, a tribes MMO. I was quite literally jiggling with excitement when I saw this. Until I saw who was making it... :(

Hi-Rez studios, the gentlemen that brought you Global Agenda, and a great big slap to the face of widescreen users, and multi-monitor users everywhere, with their out-right refusal to support Widescreen/Surround, not because it wasn't worth the effort or because not enough people that would walk away due of lack of support.. but because it was an "unfair advantage". I think it's safe to say, we won't be seeing proper widescreen/surround support in Tribes Universe... :-x

I was going to start a lobbying thread, but, after diligently searching for quite awhile... well, I couldn't find forums for Tribes Universe... but, I dunno - is it even worth the effort with Hi-Rez's anti-widescreen stance? What do you guys think? :-?

I wont be touching another game by Hi-Rez until it has widescreen/surround support... I can't support companies getting away with ignoring the surround gaming community.. Gotta hit 'em where it hurts.. in the pocketbook. ::TrueWS

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 10:55 
Editors
Editors

Well, DICE were hugely anti-widescreen with Battlefield 2, but mellowed with Bad Company 2 and BF2 patches.

And the "unfair advantage" excuse was used by DICE, 2K (for Bioshock) and various others for ages, until the inevitable flood of widescreen monitors onto the market made their arguments rather moot.

I'd be tempted to just ignore them, but if you think it might be worth playing (personally, I give it about a 20% chance of surviving past 6 months) in the long term, it might be worth a punt to lobby them.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 21:07 

Might as well lobby it while you can at this point. AMD's Eyefinity tech has been around for over a year and there WILL be more people with 3 screens (or more) over the course of time. Even enthusiast spenders probably have something of the sort, if not a 30" monitor.

I was not aware of Hi-Rez being anti-WS/SG/Eyefinity. But this is the one title that I would love to see in triple-wide.

They just posted a sign-up url for alpha testers but... gads... I've been trying for 15 damn minutes to get a username and I've tried several! It keeps tellin' me the name has already been taken. -_- Sorry but I ain't going to sit around for an hour trying all sorts of names that I WANT to use. Chrono? Taken. Sixshot? Taken. G1Sixshot? Can't use it (wtf?!). Megatron? Taken. Galvatron? Taken. Soundwave? Taken. Geez!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 04:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, DICE were hugely anti-widescreen with Battlefield 2, but mellowed with Bad Company 2 and BF2 patches.

And the "unfair advantage" excuse was used by DICE, 2K (for Bioshock) and various others for ages, until the inevitable flood of widescreen monitors onto the market made their arguments rather moot.

I'd be tempted to just ignore them, but if you think it might be worth playing (personally, I give it about a 20% chance of surviving past 6 months) in the long term, it might be worth a punt to lobby them.

Yeah. I remember the Battlefield 2 stuff - though I was on the 4:3 side of the fence with a 13 inch CRT back then.... oh how times have changed.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tribes series, though I'm a bigger... uhm... not a fan... of Hi-Rez studios. Though, your second statement is indeed very true. I sadly invested a lot of time and money into All Points Bulletin, which shut down after only 3 months. Fun game... and it had surround support! :rockout

If I can actually gain access to their forums to start up a lobbying thread I will, I don't know much about the game itself, but if they do it "right" - and have surround support, I'd play it.

I was not aware of Hi-Rez being anti-WS/SG/Eyefinity. But this is the one title that I would love to see in triple-wide.

We boycotted the game (along with HardOCP) back during February when the game launched because of it. Hi-Rez didn't take any noticed at all though, it seems.

The original thread (which moderators moved to the off-topic section.. another slap in the face?) : http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=12858&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

You have to have an account to view the thread, unfortunately.