Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 06:13 
Insiders
Insiders

For those who aren't very familiar (or at all) with Sierra, they were a developer and publishing house who were absolutely giants in the computer gaming industry from 1980 until about 1996 - they were just as important to computer games as Nintendo is to console game. They pretty much invented the adventure genre as we know it, and by extension are responsible for the adventure game elements that exist in pretty much every game today. They were the first company to use orchestrated musical scores, the first to make CD-ROM games with fully voiced dialog, the first company to make full use of VGA graphics, the first to use hand-painted graphics, and even the first to create animated lip-syncing technology.

I personally own a copy of almost every adventure game Sierra made - I have most of their early stuff from 1980-1983, everything they made from 1984 to 1994, and several games from 1995 onwards.

I've written a first draft of an article that I pretty much wrote for myself. It started out as a simple list of Sierra's adventure games, but turned into an article on the history of the company from the perspective of facts that I find interesting or useful.

I have shown it to a Sierra oriented forum for peer review and fact checking, but I haven't really gotten any, so I make no guarantees that the information is 100% accurate. But it is accurate to the best of my knowledge. It did get positive response, if not specific feedback, so here it is for the enjoyment of anyone else who knows what the hell I'm talking about (or wants to).

Here's the article:
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/Sierra+adventure+game+chronology

On a related note, I recently bought a Roland MT-32 synthesizer, mainly for Sierra games. With it, I can hear music the way its composers heard it - none of this electronic plink-planking from a virtual Sound Blaster emulated in DOSBox.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 07:35 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh man. I remember police quest, heh. Good times, good times.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

Will have a read - Sierra were dying out just as I actually got my first computer, so I missed a lot of their stuff.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 23:08 

Mmmm... King's Quest....

Specifically VI

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 11:06 
Editors
Editors

Very instructive read, especially for a Sound Blasterized moron like me... The music comparisons are just dazzling. I had indeed no idea that so much music got "lost in emulation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games
Now I'd looove to hear MT-32 versions of the original Alien Breed's, Jagged Alliance's, The Lost Vikings', Sam & Max Hit The Road's or Day Of The Tentacle's soundtracks...

Anyway, I'm a bit too young to have known the golden era of Sierra adventure games - but I was an avid Shivers player. 8)

And: nice to see you around, BTW.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 11:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah the roland soundcard ones sound awesome!

I only had an Adlib sound on my Tandy 1000 :P