Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 15:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 17:23 

Editorial contributions to the site by me, I file under the name "The Ramblings of a Moron" for naming continuity, and to warn of non-perfect editorial skills. (Not to mention the high probability of completely moronic things being said.) This is me trying to improve my written communications as well as contribute at the same time. Without further delay:

The Ramblings of a Moron, Articles by Cynagen
This post does not reflect the views, opinions, or stance of Widescreen Gaming Forum and it's staff. It is only of my own, so anything you have against it, PM me or comment.

"Hey Coach, maybe the rescue helicopter is made of chocolate." This is only a sample of the dry humorless wit that L4D2 drips with, and you get to sample it before you're even to the main menu. The selection of new special infected, uncommon infected, and melee weapons add little to this now well-flogged, dead horse.

Once again, you return to the world of which has all but ended entirely, you, a survivor of the mutation that has afflicted so many, many, maaaannnny, others. There's one thing this game is never without, and that is a compliment of zombies, unless you play on easy. The new special infected, while you see more of them, don't exactly inflict the same type of fear as the originals, which have now been given the shaft and relinquished to the dark recesses from whence they came. The uncommon infected, like the armored infected SWAT personnel are actually a treat, as it forces you to deal with zombie hordes just a bit differently depending on the uncommons in the group.

Returning to my opening comments, the poor dialog, and dry humorless wit, is in my opinion, a huge downfall. The comic relief you get from hearing Francis say he hates something, simply because it's a deterrent to his surviving, was a nice uplifting laugh in an otherwise maelstrom of zombie shit flying/binding/dragging/puking/smashing/clawing at you. There is an upside to not having so much comic relief... The walk to granny's house is now relatively easy as pie. On normal, with a group of 3 random public players, we managed to run through the complete Parish storyline in just under 40 minutes, with loading screens and having to restart the last map.

There's a reason I say this is a well-flogged, dead horse of a game. There's nothing to it, it's L4D Junior Edition. Even if you're a die-hard L4D fan like myself, you will be sorely disappointed in this title.

P.S. I abstained from using the demo to give this review and waited till I got some serious face-time with the full version, and well... it didn't help it score much better.

Scoring:
Graphics: 9/10 (Models for original specials are redone nicely, new special and uncommons also look good, levels are indeed detailed.)
Audio: 5/10 (I don't like the southern touch to the music so much, and the music department is pretty empty.)
Action: 8/10 (Welcome to the Jungle, we got fun and games!)
Re-playability: 8/10 (The new AI Director 2.0 does change things up quite a bit on multiple fronts.)
Value to Cost: 7/10 (This really should have been an expansion to the original.)
Overall: 74% (... Let's just say this, there's a lot of room for improvement.)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 17:33 
Administrators
Administrators

Nice :D What is your next one going to be ?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 19:08 

Even if you're a die-hard L4D fan like myself, you will be sorely disappointed in this title.

I completely disagree, I am a die-hard L4D fan and L4D2 is an improvement in almost every direction. I do agree the humor is somewhat lacking comparatively but I still enjoy it.
My name is Ellis, but some people call me El, but I don't really like being called El, because El sounds like a girl's name, so I prefer Ellis; but I guess you can call me El if you want.

I also agree that the music is a step down, but sound design as a whole is through the roof, weapons sound freaking amazing, and how about those clowns?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 23:27 

[quote]Even if you're a die-hard L4D fan like myself, you will be sorely disappointed in this title.

I completely disagree, I am a die-hard L4D fan and L4D2 is an improvement in almost every direction. I do agree the humor is somewhat lacking comparatively but I still enjoy it.
My name is Ellis, but some people call me El, but I don't really like being called El, because El sounds like a girl's name, so I prefer Ellis; but I guess you can call me El if you want.

I also agree that the music is a step down, but sound design as a whole is through the roof, weapons sound freaking amazing, and how about those clowns?

IMO weapons sound generally terrible. They have no "oomph" to them, which makes them sound like props or toys.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 23:54 

[quote][quote]Even if you're a die-hard L4D fan like myself, you will be sorely disappointed in this title.

IMO weapons sound generally terrible. They have no "oomph" to them, which makes them sound like props or toys.

I COMPLETELY disagree, the reason I like the sounds so much is that they do sound like they have quite abit of oomph. They sound as I would expect them to sound.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 01:56 
Insiders
Insiders

I happen to like the dry humor. Don't misunderstand, I loved Francis too; but dry humor is awesome. When I saw the intro video and Nick said that, I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't think the weapons sound that bad either, especially the shotguns.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 01:56 

[quote][quote][quote]Even if you're a die-hard L4D fan like myself, you will be sorely disappointed in this title.

I COMPLETELY disagree, the reason I like the sounds so much is that they do sound like they have quite abit of oomph. They sound as I would expect them to sound.

They are a FAR cry from the real OOMPH you hear/feel from these weapons. You may or may not have fired any of these weapons in real life, but I have, and they do not sound real from first person view. Maybe 3rd person 100 feet away, but definitely not first person.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 12:46 
Founder
Founder

Put in Wiki, and posted on front page, Facebook and Twitter. What's next?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 17:56 

I honestly found this to be a terrible review. It's repetitive, shallow and just a random baseless opinion dump.
Even the "stream of consciousness" format doesn't excuse the glaring faults. I've read hundreds of average forum posts that were far superior to that so-called article. I don't see the point, or the value in it.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 18:16 
Administrators
Administrators

I honestly found this to be a terrible review. It's repetitive, shallow and just a random baseless opinion dump.
Even the "stream of consciousness" format doesn't excuse the glaring faults. I've read hundreds of average forum posts that were far superior to that so-called article. I don't see the point, or the value in it.

That's too bad. You have any constructive criticism to add as well?