Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 31 Jul 2024, 08:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 17:39 

I'm looking for some good discussion and instruction on how to use a packet sniffer to kick specific players when hosting a MW2 round.

Since VAC is fail and cheaters are still running rampant; I'm looking for a way to curb the issue when I am host. And with my 10mg up speed, I am host a lot.

So far, I've heard of Wireshark and Commview as tools to use and even have some instruction on editing and looping a packet; but wanted to discuss what everyone else thinks about this. It's a hard topic because in the wrongs hands, griefers will just go nuts kicking players or entire rounds for their own kicks, or kicking good players who they think are hacking. I'm wanting to use it to remove obviously cheating players - cheating as in not high-scoring players, but players that show killcams where they are spinning 180+ degrees to snap headshots through walls across the map kinda cheater.

If you would like to discuss this in private; please PM me. I'm not quite comfortable with it as a public discussion for reasons already mentioned.

But, it has to start somewhere if I'm going to get any help.

If anything, point me in the right direction or forum where this can be discussed in a PM and let the Mod lock or remove this thread.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:39 

I know this is a valid topic, and don't want to derail it too much, but if you're after competitive MP experience w/admin abilities then Modern Warfare 2 will never be that game. Though good luck to you on trying to implement a few features that are desperately needed to make it even worthwhile trying.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 03:36 

Look into kicking in Warcraft 3, they actually do the same thing in custom games. It is as easy as simply blocking their IP in a firewall I believe.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 03:39 

Look into kicking in Warcraft 3, they actually do the same thing in custom games. It is actually as easy as simply blocking their IP in a firewall.

That works, yes; but I need to know which IP is the right one. To do that, I need to send a fat packet and see whose latency spikes. Then I know I have the right person and can filter out the IP.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 04:05 

There are probably easier ways of going about that. Plus I doubt anything that you could upload would directly make them lag at all. due to the fact that the average upload speed is just 1/10 the average down speed.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 05:38 

There are probably easier ways of going about that. Plus I doubt anything that you could upload would directly make them lag at all. due to the fact that the average upload speed is just 1/10 the average down speed.

You don't need to lag them, just spike the latency enough to notice it on the player list. A script to ping their IP about 25 times should do it.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 05:40 

Don't know why this double posted.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 06:23 

Just a quick comment, it surprises me that MW2 doesnt have a steam style "status" console command to spit out ips or steam ids (since it seems to utilize steamworks to a decent degree)

At the very least they should have a ban command that saves it to your computer based on IP or atleast keeps working for the game.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 09:41 

Just a quick comment, it surprises me that MW2 doesnt have a steam style "status" console command to spit out ips or steam ids (since it seems to utilize steamworks to a decent degree)

At the very least they should have a ban command that saves it to your computer based on IP or atleast keeps working for the game.

It's Modern Warfare 2. You would expect a lot of things that it does not have.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 15:52 

And all is for naught; though you may be the host for a game, it is not direct p2p. IWNet sends you all the packets from the other players, so you are only getting the one connection from IWNet and not each player. Which is why the host has such a major advantage in the game. More fail for IW.

So now I'm waiting on Bad Company 2.