Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Jul 2024, 05:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 08:53 

I'm looking over the Steam ad, gameplay videos and early Euro reviews and I have to say, Risen looks ace.

I wouldn't be surprised if the publisher was responsible for Gothic 3 being what it was, and honestly fan patches turned Gothic 3 into something decent, so... I am tempted by Risen.

Anyone here who's an old fan of PC RPG games going to get it?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 12:38 
Editors
Editors

I'll get it when it's gotten cheaper. I've got more than enough to be doing at the minute. ;)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 15:07 

I'm looking over the Steam ad, gameplay videos and early Euro reviews and I have to say, Risen looks ace.

I wouldn't be surprised if the publisher was responsible for Gothic 3 being what it was, and honestly fan patches turned Gothic 3 into something decent, so... I am tempted by Risen.

Anyone here who's an old fan of PC RPG games going to get it?

any good link to share ?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 16:47 
Administrators
Administrators

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 01:31 

I'll probably get it but i want to see if it's less buggy than their previous games first.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:39 

I'll probably get it but i want to see if it's less buggy than their previous games first.

Early Euro reviews are saying it is a much smoother and polished experience than Gothic 3 was, but still not as polished as Oblivion, which is about what I expected.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:28 
Insiders
Insiders

I've got way too much RPG on my plate as it is. Baldur's Gate II, Fallout 2, FF8, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, Quest for Glory V, Ultima IX, and Wizardry 8. And if I finish all of those in this lifetime, Might and Magic is next.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:56 

I've got way too much RPG on my plate as it is. Baldur's Gate II, Fallout 2, FF8, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, Quest for Glory V, Ultima IX, and Wizardry 8. And if I finish all of those in this lifetime, Might and Magic is next.

I think PC gamers being satisfied with old games is as much a threat as piracy... :wink:

Seriously though, I get that. I have a few RPGs unfinished like Gothic 3, funny enough, and Jade Empire and Arx Fatalis.

Still, I like buying new games... supporting devs, seeing the new tech, the chance of finding a new classic... it makes me happy.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 11:56 
Editors
Editors

[quote]I've got way too much RPG on my plate as it is. Baldur's Gate II, Fallout 2, FF8, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, Quest for Glory V, Ultima IX, and Wizardry 8. And if I finish all of those in this lifetime, Might and Magic is next.

I think PC gamers being satisfied with old games is as much a threat as piracy... :wink:

Seriously though, I get that. I have a few RPGs unfinished like Gothic 3, funny enough, and Jade Empire and Arx Fatalis.

Still, I like buying new games... supporting devs, seeing the new tech, the chance of finding a new classic... it makes me happy.
Haha... I like that, it's totally true. Gamers who like old games don't support the 'modern' gaming industry. Jade Empire was OK... Arx Fatalis I got free with a graphics card, IIRC... could never get into it, though. It didn't help that I had no idea what I should be doing. :( These bundled games always forget the manual.

Cranky, out of those games, I'd say the only one you need need need to play is Planescape Torment - Bioware's BEST RPG ever. That game puts all other Western RPGs to shame, it really does.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 14:27 

I played vanilla Gothic 3 from start to finish and loved it. Yeah a few quests were bugged but otherwise i did everything and got two of the endings. Awesome, amazing game. Much much better than Oblivion (without mods). I put around 200hrs into each of them, but characters/story/quests etc. were all much more interesting in Gothic 3. Especially the weird tablet quests in the desert and the smiths quests (if I remember correctly...) it was a long time ago...

So to answer the OP:

Yes, risen looks awesome. And i'm not the typical "older" cRPGer (i'm 22) but have played gothic 1,2,3, baldur's gate 1,2 deus ex, planescape torment, fallout 1,2 etc. but also enjoyed The Witcher. If I had to pick my RPG of the last few years it's a toss up between the Witcher and Vampire - the Masq. But neither of those are really in the same setting as Gothic/Oblivion/Drakensang/etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next