Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Jul 2024, 15:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 22:55 

They spend twice a game's development budget on marketing, among other revelations.

See it here: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=101634

I appreciate the frankness of his comments on how mainstreaming the industry is changing games in a bad way for the hardcore crowd. That said, it still depresses me.

I feel it will be almost no time at all until this industry goes to a place I cannot follow, like movies have for the most part.

Or maybe I am super doom and gloom man today. It IS raining here.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 01:10 

Judo chop!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 04:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Scary, but not too surprising, coming from EA.

Hey, it's just like pharmaceuticals. They spend more on advertising than on R&D. I'm guessing bribes and kick-backs are included in the advert budget.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 08:09 

They spend twice a game's development budget on marketing, among other revelations.

See it here: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=101634

I appreciate the frankness of his comments on how mainstreaming the industry is changing games in a bad way for the hardcore crowd. That said, it still depresses me.

I feel it will be almost no time at all until this industry goes to a place I cannot follow, like movies have for the most part.

Or maybe I am super doom and gloom man today. It IS raining here.

It'll just become Hollywood, you barely see anything they make and strive to find the good indy shit, and the RARE mainstream gem.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 11:01 

It'll just become Hollywood, you barely see anything they make and strive to find the good indy shit, and the RARE mainstream gem.

I don't really enjoy movies enough to seek out art house gems, so when mainstream movies sunk to the depths they are in now, I pretty much gave up on them completely. I peek my head out to watch some sequels to series I liked, like the new Bond movies and such, but for the most part I ignore cinema almost completely.

I love games enough to stick it out though, I suppose. Searching for the hidden gems amongst the ruins.

The cool thing for us PC gamers is that the biggest and best indie scene will always be on PC, I imagine.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 14:40 

[quote]It'll just become Hollywood, you barely see anything they make and strive to find the good indy shit, and the RARE mainstream gem.

I don't really enjoy movies enough to seek out art house gems, so when mainstream movies sunk to the depths they are in now, I pretty much gave up on them completely. I peek my head out to watch some sequels to series I liked, like the new Bond movies and such, but for the most part I ignore cinema almost completely.

I love games enough to stick it out though, I suppose. Searching for the hidden gems amongst the ruins.

The cool thing for us PC gamers is that the biggest and best indie scene will always be on PC, I imagine.

So you're saying you didn't go see Pan's Labyrinth?

Or my favourite for this year Gomorah?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 21:30 

[quote][quote]It'll just become Hollywood, you barely see anything they make and strive to find the good indy shit, and the RARE mainstream gem.

So you're saying you didn't go see Pan's Labyrinth?

Or my favourite for this year Gomorah?

Never even heard of them... I heard Pan's mentioned casually, but I have no idea what it is.

And before you ask me how I never saw an ad for it, I don't watch TV either.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 01:14 

I heard Pan's mentioned casually, but I have no idea what it is.

All hail Guillermo del Toro! For he shall bring the Hobbits from the darkness!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 10:06 

indeed, Pan's Labyrinth is definitely a masterpiece, highly recommended :twothumb

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 11:49 

The one I'm anxious to see is District 9.