Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009, 22:04 

Read about it here

Watch it here

Buy it on Steam (available from 15.7.2009)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 11:55 

oh awesome.
ive always wanted to play the original monkey island games but the graphics have somewhat put me off

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 15:27 
Insiders
Insiders

There's nothing wrong with Monkey Island's graphics as they are. The game was completely playable in 1990 - it's not like any aspect of it got worse.

The new sprites and character artwork are absolutely hideous, BTW, and the animation is really stiff. In that regard, I'd say the original actually looks better. The new backgrounds look nice, though. Voice acting could be a pleasant addition, or a distracting nuisance - I've heard potential examples of both in the trailer. I'll have to wait to play the game to say for sure, though.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 00:43 

not saying it would be unplayable or anything , but 640x480 or whatever the game runs at would look terrible on 24".
You could probably turn off the voices but idk , the voice acting in Tales of MI was all pretty good imo.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 00:57 
Insiders
Insiders

It doesn't look bad at all on my 24" monitor. Just make sure you're using hardware upscaling. If low resolutions automatically looked "terrible" on a 24" monitor, then DVDs (which are basically 640x480) would be utterly unwatchable on your 40" and 72" HDTVs. Clearly that's not the case.

Tales of MI is a completely different game - the dialog was written to be spoken, while Secret's dialog was written to be read. When the latter kind of dialog is spoken anyway, sometimes the results are great, and other times the results are really annoying (even if the voice acting is of high quality).

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 02:40 

It doesn't look bad at all on my 24" monitor. Just make sure you're using hardware upscaling. If low resolutions automatically looked "terrible" on a 24" monitor, then DVDs (which are basically 640x480) would be utterly unwatchable on your 40" and 72" HDTVs. Clearly that's not the case.

hu ... not really either...
most consumer Video DVDs are either 720x480 or 720x576 depending if the system is PAL or NTSC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

there's also a big difference between movie upscaling & video game upscaling since in a video game you may have more static images which are more prone to showing lack of details... not even considering the difference in upscale algorithms.

And First HDTVs had absolutely horrible upscaling btw ...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 04:43 
Insiders
Insiders

most consumer Video DVDs are either 720x480 or 720x576

Like I said, basically 640x480. Ever-so-slightly more if you're running PAL. If 720x576 upscaled on an HDTV is watchable, 640x480 upscaled on a 24" monitor won't look bad either.

there's also a big difference between movie upscaling & video game upscaling since in a video game you may have more static images which are more prone to showing lack of details

What's that got to do with upscaling? If your game is lacking in details, it's lacking in details. Upscaling will neither fix nor aggravate this.

not even considering the difference in upscale algorithms

PC video cards use state-of-the-art upscaling algorithms. If you can be satisfied with results from a HDTV's upscaler, you can be satisfied with results from a PC video card upscaler.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 22:22 

Only 1 day before release of this Jewel (in my opinion). I also would like to see Guybrush more fat (as he was fatter - he had normal proportions in original game, now he is too thin) but I still think everything will be huge positive step up from the level of detail of the original (that I played and comleted as child several times). I am not as negative about the improvements as some of you are. I admire it and am looking forward to play it in new look and with that awsome music + DUBBING...

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 23:25 

there's also a big difference between movie upscaling & video game upscaling since in a video game you may have more static images which are more prone to showing lack of details
What's that got to do with upscaling? If your game is lacking in details, it's lacking in details. Upscaling will neither fix nor aggravate this.

Motion hides the fact that upscaling gives way less image quality.
That's what I meant by that.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 03:01 
Insiders
Insiders

But upscaling does not give "way less" image quality. Not if the upscaling is done right. Proper upscaling neither increases nor decreases the quality - it simply enlarges the picture.

Bad upscaling certainly reduces image quality, as PC monitors and early HDTVs are known to do, but if you enable hardware scaling on any decent video card and are using DVI, this isn't an issue.