Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 22:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Last Remnant
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 23:09 

I actually had no idea of this game being on PC till I started up STEAM yesterday and seen a demo. The game is full of your normal Square style. I'm just happy that most of the men are wearing shirts this time. Square has a thing for mean showing belly or man nipples.

Game also seems to support widescreen. So right away I give some points for that. Menu is very console-ish and there for limited. A number of things can be changed such as res, textures, ect, but other things are missing like anti-aliasing.

I am personally playing the game with a controller. I feel this is just best suited for such a title. So I can't give any examples on how well and mouse and keyboard perform. But even with a controller, the PC integration with this title is so far poor. For example when I press "esc" I would expect to be greeted with some menu options. The normal array of controls, sound, graphics options ect. But instead I get a black pause screen. I have no idea how you can change your settings without shutting down the game first.

Other then all this, graphics is the only thing left to talk about. Its a nice looking game with good polish and wonderful effects. Something we sadly never get to see much on PCs. Not in this much style at least. I did notice a odd problem with textures. They seem to only load up when your at a curtain distance. Maybe thats a graphics option I need to check out.

Anyway, I haven't played it much at all so DL the demo and tell me what all you guys figured out about it.

Post subject: Re: The Last Remnant
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 00:04 

I'm just happy that most of the men are wearing shirts this time. Square has a thing for mean showing belly or man nipples.
LOL, man nipples are never a good thing in video games, esp on characters that look like boys with no chest hair.

DL the demo?, man I don't know. I liked the one FF movie I saw, but I've never been big on RPGs, esp the button masher type and/or those with squad control.

The graphics definitely look good, I watched the HD review on GameTrailers.com which showed a lot of actual gameplay footage. I really don't like the constant onscreen highlights, hints and numbers though, takes away from the immersion.

Currently one of the games I'm playing is Prince of Persia 2008, but even that, as watered down as it is in difficulty from the last Sands of Time installment, gets frustrating for my 50 yr old fingers when it comes to the button mashing.

It's getting to the point where when I have to repeatedly hit L Mouse to sword push a boss back, I have to let go of my grip on the mouse, raise my hand a bit, and vertically tap L Mouse just to be able to hit it enough times in the short amount of time you're given to get through the quick time battle.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 02:06 

Yeah, got the demo and played a bit when it was released on Thurs or so. Most of the complaints I heard about the console version was that there was a lot of texture popping (yay UE3) and I figured it would be fixed here; it's pretty much gone.

The battles are slightly different than your standard JRPGs as you control squads and the commands sound more ambiguous (imo). I was completely overwhelmed by the HUD when I first saw it; gotta play the real game for a tutorial, I imagine. Still works fine if you treat it like a basic JRPG.

I've been playing with my 360 controller as well so I can't comment on kb/m but it seems very console-ish so far. The menus don't seem to have changed much [from what I imagine was on the 360]. System config can be done from the main menu (outside of a save) or from when you bring the player menu up (inside your story, 'Config' option; you can't change the main options from this though, ie.: resolution, graphics level). All my resolutions appear to be available. I've just been playing at 720p windowed because it defaulted to that though.

I'll put some screenies up soon.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 03:00 

Double postan action.

Also, I think the reason there's no AA option is because it's a UE3 game.

I'll post some more later when I beat that damned boss. Or quit out of the dungeon. >_>

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 16:19 

never heard of it either. Looks like a street fighter knock off.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 16:47 
Insiders
Insiders

It's actually a RPG by Square-Enix. I've only played the 360 version for about an hour and was pretty unimpressed with it. The graphics were a little sub-par compared to other games using UE3. The performance and loading times were also a huge killer. I haven't really come to a good opinion yet on whether it's a good game or not.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 20:56 

Well it sounds like performance was your largest problem, and the PC version should eradicate all that. I saw some minor pop-in in the demo, but it was like a second of it, rather than what you see on consoles.

Demo was nice... cool, tactical combat in a lot of ways. My biggest gripe is that the cities look much, much better than the enemy areas.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 23:16 

Pretty thankful the load times between battles are fairly short , i imagine they'd be killer on the 360.
Graphics are kinda meh in the dungeons from what i played.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 23:37 
Insiders
Insiders

I thought the player animations and movement in free-roam were horrible. Turning your character felt really weird.

Both the load times and performance were a killer on the 360. It's like they designed the game around 15 FPS. ;)

As complicated as the battles seem, they're actually really simple and don't require much effort.

The story doesn't seem as engaging as I'd like it to be.

Story: "Are you guys going to find my sister or not? If not, I'm just going to go do it on my own!"
After which you kinda just stroll around town talking to random people doing basically nothing. For a character that's supposed to be so interested in finding his sister, it seems pretty dumb to do that.

I don't know, the game probably will be appealing to Square-Enix fans, but it just hasn't got me interested enough.

Granted, I haven't played the PC demo yet and I probably won't. I'm sure the load times are much better and you can increase some graphics, but the flaws in the game really go beyond that. :)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 22:05 
Insiders
Insiders

I've got the demo downloaded and will be playing it as soon as I get back from work. Surround RPG? We can only hope.