Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 19:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 03:19 

I am really looking forward to this one. I can't believe that in a forum thread the other day where the topic, "Games you're most looking forward to in 2009", had me responding with upwards 20 PC games, and now I'm STILL hearing of new games coming out on PC OTHER than those titles.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this and optimistic that Rockstar, vs Remedy, being the sole developer, will breathe new life back into the series. I'm picturing a much grittier, less gullible and vulnerable Max on this one, perhaps with less fluff and romance to the narrative.

This one will likely strike at the core of what's been motivating Max all along, stripping away the superficial and distracting trauma to reveal the deep scars. Finally Max is gonna be saying "Come play with me, if you dare".

If the story, Max's lines and voiceover even come close to the brilliant job Rockstar did with Nico in GTA IV, I'll be thoroughly satisfied. Note that in saying that I'm not even remotely suggesting the line I put in quotes above would be appropriate. Just my take on the feel of Max's character this time around.

http://ir.take2games.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=372139

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 05:06 

You're looking forward to PC games? They're dead, didn't you hear? :P

This does make me excited... though it's not the original devs, Rockstar has a great development history, and even their dissapointments are good games.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 05:32 

You're looking forward to PC games? They're dead, didn't you hear? :P
LOL, yeah like upwards two dozen titles in '09 just in the shooter and racing genres is anything to spit at. And that's just the ones I'M interested in. I'd say it's thriving sufficiently. The nay sayers be damned, I'm not giving up on continuing my high end gaming PC quest anytime soon.
This does make me excited... though it's not the original devs, Rockstar has a great development history, and even their dissapointments are good games.
Heck, I'd go as far as to say it will be better BECAUSE it's not the original devs. With what Rockstar showed us in GTA IV, it wouldn't surprise me if they expertly throw a twist into the plot revealing more truths unrevealed about the demise of Max's family.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 15:17 
Editors
Editors

I'm disappointed. I LOVE Max Payne. The original game is one of the best memories I have in my life. The narrative was superb. The second game was still pretty good, but the story wasn't AS special, and the fun house got boring on the second visit.
The film, well, lets move on.

I would have liked this to be developed by Remedy. You can never preserve what makes a game great when you move developers imo.
But the biggest problem here is that it's being released simultaneously on all consoles and PC. That spells fail. Like FEAR2. I have no faith this is going to be good whatsoever. :(

I hope I'm proven wrong, because I was looking forward to a Max Payne 3 way more than i was Alan Wake.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 16:15 
Editors
Editors

Next winter suddenly seems awfully close. When did development actually start I wonder. Can't say I'm too excited either, but hey. MP2 was a genuinely fun and great-looking game, I suppose R* can do more than a decent job.
(Well of course my heart belongs to the ancient world... when the PC was king, DRM didn't exist and Max Payne was not a license yet...)

"You're in a video game, Max."

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 17:25 

Great memories of the first Max, and the second wasn't too bad either. Needed moar noir. Do it right, Rockstar.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 20:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm disappointed. I LOVE Max Payne. The original game is one of the best memories I have in my life. The narrative was superb. The second game was still pretty good, but the story wasn't AS special, and the fun house got boring on the second visit.
The film, well, lets move on.

I would have liked this to be developed by Remedy. You can never preserve what makes a game great when you move developers imo.
But the biggest problem here is that it's being released simultaneously on all consoles and PC. That spells fail. Like FEAR2. I have no faith this is going to be good whatsoever.

I agree with all of this. Except for the bit about the film. What film?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 00:51 
Editors
Editors

Mark Walberg FTW !

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 02:59 

I was VERY skeptical about the film, but it had just enough Max in it without trying to be too much like the game that it was watchable. Not blockbuster exciting mind you, but watchable. I'd rate it about the same as the Hitman movie starring Timothy Olyphant, another one I was skeptical about but found interesting enough to watch. They are both light years above anything Uwe Boll has done. I know that's not saying much, but you never can expect film adaptations of games to be top quality. I could think of a lot more fitting actors than Mark Wahlberg to cast as Max Payne, but Olyphant was fairly convincing as Agent 47. Then again, he's clearly a better actor than Wahlberg.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 13:56 
Editors
Editors

I knew there was a 'h' somewhere in that name.
To be honest, I never thought the "second Max" guy was very fitting either. Then again, when all is set and done, what really makes the character of Max Payne is voice talent before anything else. I hope R* remembers that...