Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Oct 2024, 09:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 22:26 

Ever heard of the Far Crysis MOD? It may end up being much better than Far Cry 2 and run better on single core rigs, esp if there's an eventual Crysis applicable performance patch made from the reworked engine they used for Warhead. It's even going to have an Ultra High graphics setting for those with uber rigs. They've not yet determined if they'll have dynamic fire propagation like FC 2 has though.

Ubi says regarding Far Cry 2, "Most parts of the game have been tweaked to run well on both single and multi-core systems", but that has not been the case for my single core rig. My CPU (P4 3Ghz HyperThreading) is the only thing that fails recommended spec and I have every setting associated with it set to Low. On average I get about 5 FPS higher frame rates in Crysis than in Far Cry 2 averaging around 20 FPS in FC 2 and 25 in Crysis.

Worse yet with the wider FPS window FC 2 has I get lower dips during firefights. The graphics in Crysis are easily better, this should not be the case.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,662463/News/Impressive_Far_Cry_2_Mod_for_Crysis/

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=37844

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 00:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Looks pretty awesome
Wonder when it'll be out?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 00:58 

Some are hoping a few months, but no one seems to know for sure and such questions can be interpreted as nagging, so I doubt many are pressing the issue. This is obviously a big project that takes skill and patience to do. I'm hoping the timing of it's release will come together with a possible Crysis optimization patch made from the Warhead tweaks, which CryTek have hinted at if sales go well on Warhead.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 01:29 

CryTek have hinted at if sales go well on Warhead.

Hinted at? They were PROMISED in the next patch of Crysis until Crytek decided to cop out with "Boo hoo pirates takez r game to much!" Screw Crytek and their non-ragdoll ways.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 02:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah there are no more patches for Crysis ever. They stated that a while ago :evil:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 03:26 

LOL, everytime I bring this up people assume I'm talking about Crysis patch support in general, no that's not what I'm talking about, get over it people. There was an interview with one of the head CryTek guys and though they still maintain there will be no more standard game fix patches they may release a patch that specifically addresses optimization only, from the Warhead engine tweaks.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 03:32 
Insiders
Insiders

mmm I didn't see that one. Makes me pretty sure we won't see it, if they aren't working on patches why should they rejig the engine? It is real easy to say 'we may do that' to look good in an interview.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 11:21 

...if they aren't working on patches why should they rejig the engine?
I don't like that they abandoned bug fixing either, but given the way EA are tightwads, and devs are crying about piracy these days, not to mention that CryTek has never been all that great at bug fixing, it's not all that surprising. Anyone that's played Far Cry a lot knows there are still some major bugs unfixed, like the infamous "Cooler" bug where the apes don't spawn at the end of that level sometimes, causing you to have to play the whole level over, and the repeating assault rifle sound that often occurs when you kill a merc carrying one.

Come on people, this is CryTek, they aren't long time game devs like Valve, Id, etc. They originally intended Far Cry to be just a dino graphics demo, not a game. They sort of fell into gaming by accident. Just because they can make brilliant environments doesn't mean they are going to release bug free games.

Oh, and why "should" they rejig the engine? You mean why did they. Warhead is stand alone because of it. It's already been done, but that doesn't mean translating those optimizations into a patch for Crysis will be easy. To be honest I don't even know if CryTek is happy with their Warhead sales figures.

At least for now there's Far Cry 2 we can play. It's not a bad game, but the AI, though brilliant at times, is very arcadish and laughable at others. It is a truly unique game and experience though. FC 2 and L4D may stand out as the most original titles of their time for a while to come.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 17:24 

I thought the crysis series is one of the better FPS games I've played, I was pleased to see an expansion so soon. Storyline was there, and its starting to mature through warhead, I'm excited to see this. All I need is half-life 3 and I'll be in heaven...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 19:13 

All I need is half-life 3 and I'll be in heaven...
IDon't know if you mean HL3 or HL2 Episode 3?

I hope HL2 Episode 3 is good and long with access to the Portal Gun. Since the video conversation between Alyx and her father in HL2 Episode 2 shows Aperture Science ship containers on the Borealis, some have speculated we'll see the Portal Gun in HL2 Episode 3.