Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Aug 2024, 00:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 23:40 

In relation to:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9268#comment-173214

I'm making this thread mainly because I haven't played nwn or even nwn2 in a long time and never in multiplayer.

Examples of things I'd like to know:
- I remember something about registering my game/key with bioware or such, is there any link between that and playing multiplayer.
I've long misplaced the info I used at the time/account the key is linked to.
- Can I fetch a character I used offline and just bring it into the server or do I have to make a new one?
- basically, any guide out there of 'things to know for nwn multiplayer' would probably help me.

feel free to contribute anything else you feel might help, not just the above.

thanks.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 06:21 

I can get some more info later, but for now you get some answers and a link.
http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/
Community-run site where players and DMs schedule games. I think they've got some info/FAQs on multiplayer around there too.

To play online, you have to make an account on nwn.bioware.com and register your key(s) there. You log in with this info in the game, and it will lead you to a Gamespy browser; I'm not sure if you can connect to a game without using the master server/having that account (ie: old-skool TCP/IP).

Depending on the server, they might allow characters from the "local vault". I think you have to save them in a certain manner (from the in-game menu) for it to work too, otherwise you just get the Lv1 of your character.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 09:18 
Editors
Editors

I've logged into Cynagen's server and started a character. No local characters are allowed, so everyone starts from scratch (unless the system changes in the future).

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 13:05 

I've found my bioware.com info but I've made 2 accounts, 1 after a reinstall much later and don't know if either of them are already linked to my game keys. Is there any way to have it display em if they're already entered? All I seem to be able to display is the new key entry, does that mean no keys are in the account?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 16:25 

First off, if you have regged keys, it should look a bit like this on your account page:

Then on the key page, it should show you your keys (convenient for copypasta during install), along with the ability to remove them:

I blacked mine out, of course. But they're there.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 23:56 

Hmm, guess I made accounts and never actually put the keys in, I was sure I did at some point.

Hope I don't have a 3rd account floating somewhere with em.

Will it say so if I enter em and they're already somewhere else?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2008, 01:52 

No idea, but I'm pretty sure it should tell you they're taken.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2008, 19:33 

I've logged into Cynagen's server and started a character. No local characters are allowed, so everyone starts from scratch (unless the system changes in the future).

The reason everyone starts from scratch is so we don't have people starting a character and then bringing them in and ruining it for everyone else. And this is suppost to be a BONDING experience. Buddies levelling up in-game side by side, comrades. Letting in local characters would ruin that to some degree.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2008, 21:21 
Editors
Editors

The reason everyone starts from scratch is so we don't have people starting a character and then bringing them in and ruining it for everyone else. And this is suppost to be a BONDING experience. Buddies levelling up in-game side by side, comrades. Letting in local characters would ruin that to some degree.

Understand completely, and I'm fine starting fresh. It's just that having had the joy of casting about fireballs and magic missile storms, it is sort of a bummer having to go back to relying on the Rod of Frost so much. No worries...I'm at level 3, so it won't be long before Fireball is mine. :wink: :twisted:

One very significant change playing MP is not having the pause feature. It shocked me how much faster-paced the combat is, but I'm finding it to be an enjoyable change. The first few battles, though, I was pounding away on my spacebar to no avail while my wizard was getting skewered by goblins. :lol:

One question, we are focusing this server on co-op play, right? I'm not so inclined towards PvP.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 04:13 

Understand completely, and I'm fine starting fresh. It's just that having had the joy of casting about fireballs and magic missile storms, it is sort of a bummer having to go back to relying on the Rod of Frost so much. No worries...I'm at level 3, so it won't be long before Fireball is mine. :wink: :twisted:

One very significant change playing MP is not having the pause feature. It shocked me how much faster-paced the combat is, but I'm finding it to be an enjoyable change. The first few battles, though, I was pounding away on my spacebar to no avail while my wizard was getting skewered by goblins. :lol:

One question, we are focusing this server on co-op play, right? I'm not so inclined towards PvP.

It's not geared towards PvP even though it IS available. PvP is normally enabled as non-group, meaning you can initiate PvP with anyone. This server is set to group PvP only, meaning you must share at least 1 group with an individual player/character in order to engage them, otherwise, it's not allowed. Also, multi-group is allowed, simply because of the previous setting, so you can quickly join with an individual and beat them to a pulp, then leave that group and fear no (constant) retaliation from a sore loser.