Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WALL-E Game
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 18:12 

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32584.html?type=flv

Did anyone else pick this up? Its quite abit of fun, and challenging at the later levels, but it does get abit repetitive.

The only real problem I have with the game is the controls, They are HORRIBLE.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 02:51 

Looks kinda cute, but are there good puzzles in it? By bad controls you mean like a bad console port where it's really hard to move the direction you want to go and aim accurately?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 02:59 
Founder
Founder

Saw the movie this weekend with the kid. Thought it was pretty good. Pretty dark for a Pixar movie. What version you playing? If PC, what is the WS support like?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 09:16 

I've been reading more about WALL-E and some are saying it's a PS2 port, which would likely explain the bad controls which others have mentioned is a problem.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 09:51 

Looks kinda cute, but are there good puzzles in it? By bad controls you mean like a bad console port where it's really hard to move the direction you want to go and aim accurately?

There are decent puzzles, the puzzles are fun once or twice, but they do get repetitive unless you REALLY like them.

And yeah the PC version is probably a damn PS2 port, not to say that it looks bad though. I just wish it looked way better. The game is 300MB after installation, with 1.5GB of cinematics on the disk :roll:

The game is defiantly a bargain bin game but i suggest trying the demo. In my opinion its worth picking up if you can grab it on sale or whatnot. It would probably be better to pick up on 360/PS3 if you have either.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 14:49 

Can you elaborate on what you meant by horrible controls?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 23:22 

Can you elaborate on what you meant by horrible controls?

Hmm where to start.

The first time I played I had rebound jump, which caused me not to be able to finish a section of the tutorial for some reason. Resetting the controls to default and then not reassigning jump fixed it though.

The movement controls are just fugly, Maybe im just spoiled by Gears of War but using the mouse to look around just feels completely wrong in WALL-E for some reason. So I use the keyboard, which doesn't feel all that much better but the way it works is WASD are like 'move in the X and Y axis' but moving the camera can change the axis, its really fucked up. Then i have the arrow keys to move the camera which iI find works nice just Holding W to go forward and the left/right arrow keys to make decent turns.

Then theres zooming in to first person mode, you cant move around just look and use your laser. But you cannot use the damn mouse to look around, so its a pain to try to hit something with your laser using the WASD keys.

Its really hard to explain but its pretty bad.
Try the demo though. I'm guessing the full game is more fun than the demo considering it only has 2 levels and it took me like 10 levels to get the controls down.
http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=3303&id=15405

Overall im happy I picked this one up though.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2008, 13:19 

I DLed the demo and have played it a bit. It's kinda fun like you say and some of the physical puzzles are challenging. Currently I'm stuck near the end of the level on the demo where you're chasing Eve and get stuck at that dang security door. I can get one blue light strip to light up but then I don't get any further.

As for the controls I have no trouble with movement, laser, box rolling, etc, it's just that the mouse cam is slow to react. Clearly a sign of being ported from console gamepads without accounting for the deadzone of the mini toggles. You move your mouse to change the look then the camera rubberbands in response and ends up moving too fast at the end of your mouse sweep.

I've seen it priced for $20 at WalMart, but I'm not sure it would be worth even that much. I had to turn the music off. It's cute and campy for like a minute then you get sick of hearing the same song over and over and over. So far I'd say this game would be a hit mostly with grade school age kids maybe, not to disrespect any adults that like it.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2008, 14:36 
Founder
Founder

How is the WS support?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2008, 15:36 

How is the WS support?

Widescreen resolutions were not showing up for me on this one, Only 4:3 and 5:4 did. Someone with a widescreen will have to check.

On a side note, I've finished the game. 5 Hours long, did not go for 100% completion (finding the secrets / getting all the boxes) But it was defiantly a fun experience. It didn't get as repetitive as I was expecting which is good. Its defiantly something I wouldn't recommend paying full price for but if you can find it on a bargain bin for ~$20 its defiantly worth it.

It is nearly a tear jerker too, when wall-e feels sad I felt sad.