Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 00:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Age of Conan Online
PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 03:07 

I just picked up this game today. Really liking it, you lvl very very fast from 1-10 which is where i am now. Graphics very nice, combat is wierd so I had to adjust.

I got my left hand fingers resting on 1,2, and 3 because those keys are used to fight.....left, overhead, right and my right hand on the mouse with both left click and right click depressed same time to move forward and to pan around or i can move forward with thumb hitting a button on my mouse

You can move WASD, but then you gotta take your fingers off and hit 1,2, or 3. Well, it is simpler just to leave your fingers on 1,2,3 and move with your mouse. Strange but now i am used to it, trust me, you get used to it

Lots of quests on starter island which is geared for lvl 1-20... goes fast. Here is the best thing so far...creating a female..OMG they are drop dead gorgeous. Best looking females in any MMO i ever played. Awesome. If you wanna take your top off and have a look feel free, hehe. But both sexes retain the lower underwear regardless

The female Stygian is very very sexy

This game has a mature rating by the way, lots of swearing, nudity, blood, head decapitation etc..

One major complaint...I still cannot log into the official AoC forums. This is just DUMB, just so stupid preventing people who purchased the game and used thier key and are actually in the game playing and they wont let them on the official forums. UNBELEIVEABLE!

Install for this game took about an 1hr. Yea that's right, about 30gigs of space is needed to load up this monster, OMG

Once you get used to combat it is a very enjoyable game. You don't leave the starter island until lvl 20 so I cannot comment on the REAL Game which is huge I hear.

I created a Demonologist and got this really cool demon pet, not so much unlike the Succubus in WoW. But this pet is male and very evil looking with awesome detailed wings, glowing green limbs, bloodied sword in hand to help u fight...i got this pet at lvl 9

Just like WoW, you cannot use a mount until lvl 40. The lvl cap is at 80

Wanted to comment on the water in this game...best i seen so far. Water is very nice in Lord of the Rings Online but this game really has it down. You all know how screwed up water can be as it falls over the edge of a falls.... at the brink where nobody seems to be able to code that in right.....well in this game they got it right, looks very realistic as it is falling over

I play the game on low settings but i still use the 1920 x 1200 resolution, no shadows or grass, but I still get lots of foilage and bushes and trees view distance turned way down for now, getting 25fps avg frame rates. Runs very nice on these settings. My specs:

Pentium D Dual Core 3ghz 2gb Ram Nvidia 7800 video card

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 15:35 

I just got this game Tuesday and only actually started playing last night.

Couldn't play Tuesday because of the serious patching that had to be downloaded and installed. We are talking a 300MB patch, then a 600MB patch, THEN a 4.8GB update. I don't understand why that had to happen. It's all good though.

I made an Assassin on Bane server (Cultural PvP). I chose Cultural PvP because I like that you are only PvP'ing the other two races (there are three). It gives it more of a normal feel to PvP.

I have only gotten to level 9 on my Assassin, sine I did not have much time to play yesterday. From what I have seen, my favorite things about this game are:

Graphics are insanely nice! I am playing at 1920x1200 with 8xAA and everything on high. Beautiful world (from what I have seen) and JetSonic was right about the water! best I've seen in ANY game. The developers claim DX10 is not implemented yet, but there is an option to turn it on in the settings and to enable SM 3.0. Doing that does make the game look a lot better.

Combat is very fun once you get it out of your head that you can't just right click a mob 50 feet away and it will automatically run you to him and start attacking. It's very fun to have to swing your weapons manually, despite how tiresome it may sound. It gets to be second nature after only 10 to 15 minutes of playing. The combat system is much more advanced in this game compared to most MMO's which is why I feel PvP is going to be very, very fun in the future!

Variety. There are three races and TWELVE classes to chose from. It reminds me of EQ2 when I used to play. You don't see the same old five classes etc.. It's nice to have that variety, and I think that will play a large role in the PvP mechanics.

The last think I like is the fact that this well known company has a background for great PvP (Dark Age of Camelot). I feel like they will do a good job with it. We shall see.

Some of the bad things that I dislike, or will take some time to get used to:

Mob AI doesn't seem to be very good. It's almost like if you pull a mob from a pack, it's random if the rest of the pack will come with it. You can clearly tell a linked mob from a patrol. If I pull the patrol, carefully, he will come alone. Sometimes if I pull that same patrol, the mobs near it will just decide to come after me, even though I pulled the patrol with enough caution and distance. It is hard to explain, but if you are in game and see what I am talking about, you will understand that something just.. doesn't seem right.

Graphical glitches. As nice as the graphics are, there are some NPC's and items of armor that, when worn, just don't look right. Headbands clipping through hair is distracting due to flickering polys. There is even an NPC in the starter town whose breasts clip through her top! I trust that these little glitches will get cleaned up in the near future. It's just an annoyance for now.

The interface could use some work. Well, could use some customization. For some reason, I'm not sure if it's my client or what, but all of my interface options for the UI in the settings are unchangeable. They are like grayed out and I cannot change them. Hopefully once I am able to change them, I can customize my UI the way I want it.

I obviously need more time with this game, since I have barely played it, but I am enjoying it and looking forward to how the PvP evolves. here is a scaled down screenshot of my topless Assassin in the harbor of the starter city(Not safe for work):http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2788/cwaocsi2.jpg

Take care.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 19:04 
Editors
Editors

Wha? if you take all your cloths off you actually get nekid??

That alone is a big difference from other MMORPGs and if the dancing night elves at the auction house did it for those poor nerdy guys, then I fear what topless assassins may do...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=77gioDwm3mY

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 19:48 

here is a scaled down screenshot of my topless Assassin in the harbor of the starter city

Hmmmm. Gravity a little strong there.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 21:54 

You are just used to fake boobs. :D

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 22:25 

You are just used to fake boobs.

Fake or real, there is something very wrong with that pic.

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 02:16 

Seems to me she's wearing an unusually stiff belt and is severely malnourished and thin.

Those breasts seem fine, especially after all those patches and hot coffee and other misc. nonsense peeps keep getting worked up over.

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 07:38 

Seems to me she's wearing an unusually stiff belt and is severely malnourished and thin.

Plus I don't think most people hike their pants up above their belly button...

They're not hip huggers, they're rib riders!

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 09:33 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Seems to me she's wearing an unusually stiff belt and is severely malnourished and thin.

Plus I don't think most people hike their pants up above their belly button...

They're not hip huggers, they're rib riders!

are you talking to me?

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 13:03 

This game isn't like WoW where you can create a new character and go immediately to Stormwind or Ironforge...no you are stuck inside this box called Tortage, a city, a place that is off the main map

And you are here for 20 lvls!!! Correct me if i am wrong, but can you leave early for the mainland? But why whould you want to, the lvl of mobs on the mainland start at lvl 20+ i hear.

You just get this feeling you in a box in the starting levels with all the instances. In Lord of the Rings Online i believe it's lvl 5 or 6 you can actually go to the main game

When you start a new character you get the feeling you so far from the real game and you just stuck there, nothing you can do, i don'tl like that.

I do hear that the game opens up with bigger zones on the mainland but I wonder if their are instances on the mainland too. The instances I must admit are a drawback but maybe this is only until the game settles down

Instancing is to help stabilize the servers, so maybe this will all change once the game has settled into its groove...i don't know