Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 01:44 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm going to visit a friend who has a fairly capable PC, and I plan to download some demos on it. So rank the following demos from best to worst:

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Crysis
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate Demo
Painkiller: Overdose
Stranglehold
TimeShift
Unreal Tournament III

If there are any must-plays that I haven't included, please mention them too.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 02:05 

I'm going to visit a friend who has a fairly capable PC, and I plan to download some demos on it. So rank the following demos from best to worst:

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Crysis
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate Demo
Painkiller: Overdose
Stranglehold
TimeShift
Unreal Tournament III

Crysis
Bioshock
TimeShift
Unreal Tournament 3
Call of Duty 4

They devolve from there.

If you're into Multiplayer, BF2 is a great one.

CnC3 is also a good one.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 03:38 

So he only plays FPS games?

Try also the demo of DiRT and..does he play any strategy or wargames?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 03:45 
Insiders
Insiders

So he only plays FPS games?

I'm asking on my own behalf, and I play everything except sports games and MMORPGs. The games I listed are all shooters because those are all the recently released demos I have interest in playing, and they happen to all be shooters.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 05:09 

The must plays:

Bioshock, CoD4, Crysis, Timeshift, UT3, Need For Speed Pro Street

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 11:44 
Insiders
Insiders

No.

However, Crysis is the first demo I've played through more than once, so I guess that'd be on top.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 13:35 

One more question, are you looking for demos to show off or just generaly good games?

For example Hearts of Iron Doomsday is a good complex demo with lots of depth, but I wouldn't use it to impress someone with the graphics or sound.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 15:42 
Editors
Editors

Honestly, after playing the Bioshock demo (and the full game round a friends)... the only demo in that list I'd say was worth a play was Crysis. UT3 didn't really impress me all that much.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 16:31 

CoD4 (More intense and realistic action, a modder's dream)
Crysis (Clever technology but a bit too much of it, buggy AI) <-This spot may soon be taken by Far Cry 2
MoH: Airborne (Poor mp but great although short sp)
TimeShift (Compelling story, nice gaphics/gameplay, runs smooth)
Perseus Mandate (Same old bland maps and SlowMo gimmicks)
Painkiller OD (Same old monster scripting reskinned)
Bioshock (Just too crazy and full of nonsense to be interesting)

Haven't played the rest. Crysis has some interesting stuff in it but invisibility makes it too easy and the demo and Sandbox2 are both a bit buggy. Rocks drawing into view so closely you can crash into them driving if not careful, flickering textures, multiple rounds to the chest of unarmored troops not dropping them, laser dot on dual pistols and calls for reinforcements disappearing with quick loads, AI can see you cloaked sometimes other times not, etc, etc.

CoD4 has been complained about a bit the other way on damage parameters but there is much less to mod/fix than with Crysis. I'm also not too found of Crysis' sci fi alien nature and the old linear objective and scripted radio chatter that Far Cry had. Even worse is the much more restricted exploration with invisible walls and such. At least with Far Cry you could climb and explore lots of places.

I'd have rated TimeShift higher if it weren't for being a lot like FEAR and a bit arcadish, which detracts from the immersion. Just a guess but I may like Far Cry 2 second best to CoD4 even though I was very upset to hear it won't have any predators in it's mostly African savanna setting. Ubi claimed it was necessary to keep the wildlife from conflicting with the human AI. I had my doubts about that as they could have placed them in remote areas away from encampments and scripted them to avoid vehicles and gunfire.

At least with a few predators in remote areas you'd have a real wildlife experience if on foot away from the camps and it would make stealth work more difficult. Their human AI does look rather promising though and perhaps better than any of the other games mentioned. Even one shot from a distance will result in the AI jumping into the nearest vehicle and tracking you down, running you off the road, and killing you. There will also be way more character interaction than in these other games. Why is it no one mentions Far Cry 2? It's as if few people know about it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 18:06 

also no World in Conflict :p that demo even has multiplayer

imo

WiC
Bioshock
DiRT
SEGA Rally
Call of Duty 4
Stranglehold
Unreal Tournament III
TimeShift

leave Crysis last since it such a system killer even on high end rig it doesnt run that great atm