Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 20:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Episode 2
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 19:50 
Insiders
Insiders

No topic yet? Let's fix that...

Game time says I beat it in 3.6 hours. That's not very long, and I spent a lot of time poking around in the woods. Alyx didn't seem quite as good a companion this time around, and the constant fawning from all the characters is wearing thin. That's pretty much it for the negatives.

Anyone using the motion blur? I think it looks fantastic, great addition. Helps hide vsynch tearing a little, and fast pans look so much smoother and realistic, doubly so if you are capped at 60fps by your LCD (always are with current LCD and display connection tech). The environment looks great, the high resolution model and actor textures are very welcome.

Oh, and it appears it isn't crediting me many of the achievements I should have...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 20:38 
Editors
Editors

3.6 hours ?? Bloody hell, you should slow down lol. I've got 3.2 hours and i've only just ...... (Spoiler! Highlight to read....)
Killed the 2 angry big bug things after nicking the energy from their eggs or whatnot

:D

I'm enjoying it, think it's been great so far. I had low expectations after Episode 1 which i thought was useless, so it's easily exceeded them.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 21:15 

I'm just a bit after that eZ'

It's great so far, absolutely loving it :D

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 23:38 

Stcuk on a bridge where i get to get a car across wich is impossible as the middle part has vanished on me and i see a few floating cars in midair bah

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 00:03 
Insiders
Insiders

<>Wolf wrote: Stcuk on a bridge where i get to get a car across wich is impossible as the middle part has vanished on me and i see a few floating cars in midair bah

Really? hm it the bridge really GONE or is it just not visible? Go back a save point or two.

Let's see some screens!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 01:20 

<>Wolf wrote: Stcuk on a bridge where i get to get a car across wich is impossible as the middle part has vanished on me and i see a few floating cars in midair bah
That took me a while to say "if this was real......how would I do it?"

But seriously folks, please don't give away the answers to any of the puzzles. That's half the fun :D

Post subject: Re: Episode 2
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 06:45 

No topic yet? Let's fix that...

Game time says I beat it in 3.6 hours. That's not very long, and I spent a lot of time poking around in the woods. Alyx didn't seem quite as good a companion this time around, and the constant fawning from all the characters is wearing thin. That's pretty much it for the negatives.

Anyone using the motion blur? I think it looks fantastic, great addition. Helps hide vsynch tearing a little, and fast pans look so much smoother and realistic, doubly so if you are capped at 60fps by your LCD (always are with current LCD and display connection tech). The environment looks great, the high resolution model and actor textures are very welcome.

Oh, and it appears it isn't crediting me many of the achievements I should have...
It's not realistic or fair to go by the actual play time mentioned in the game stats. Heck I can beat Prey on Cherokee in just over 6.5 hrs actual game time without any death walking, done it twice now (Takes a lot of quick saving a replaying some segments though). It doesn't account for reloading saves, replaying some segments (are you playing on the hardest difficulty?), cutscenes, level loading, etc. You can probably figure about double what the game time says for real time. The one review I've read so far (Eurogamer, 90% rating) says about 7 hrs or 50% longer than Episode 1.

My only beef so far is them adding HL2, which all of us buying the expansions already have, and jacking up the price to that of a full length installment. I've seen it advertised at Circuit City for $38 and it's sold out, but my inclination is I'd rather not pay more than $25-$30 for an expansion.

That being said, I do like that they kept the system spec low and I hear the ending is spectacular. I may just have to break down and give it a go at $38. The inclusion of Portals may justify that amount. There's also a limited number of new titles I can play anymore now that shader 3 is becoming a requirement.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 15:05 

My only beef so far is them adding HL2, which all of us buying the expansions already have, and jacking up the price to that of a full length installment. I've seen it advertised at Circuit City for $38 and it's sold out, but my inclination is I'd rather not pay more than $25-$30 for an expansion.

That being said, I do like that they kept the system spec low and I hear the ending is spectacular. I may just have to break down and give it a go at $38. The inclusion of Portals may justify that amount. There's also a limited number of new titles I can play anymore now that shader 3 is becoming a requirement.

steam packages are a PITA. and the "steam gifts" are a crock too - i mean, seriously - what gamer that is interested in EP 2 doesnt already have HL2, EP1, HL, CS, and the like? and 50$ for 2 games i want, and 2 i already have? or 30$ each for the 2 i want?

they could have made it easier and just made them 20$ a piece a la carte. i dont currently have 50$ to drop on a game, much less 60$.

however, i am glad that i can finish the story without a major upgrade. i just ran thru EP1 last weekend on my laptop - so i am sure my gaming box can still handle it. ya, i know it's upgrade time (i am 2 generations behind) but rent and feeding family has to come first.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 15:09 
Insiders
Insiders

steam packages are a PITA. and the "steam gifts" are a crock too - i mean, seriously - what gamer that is interested in EP 2 doesnt already have HL2, EP1, HL, CS, and the like? and 50$ for 2 games i want, and 2 i already have? or 30$ each for the 2 i want?

they could have made it easier and just made them 20$ a piece a la carte. i dont currently have 50$ to drop on a game, much less 60$.

I miss the Black Box. :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 16:55 

I beat it in about 4 hours. Its not bad....nothing unexpected except at the end.