Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 18:53 

i have been paying HL2 for a while and finished the game, then i installed Episode 1 and played the game for about 3 hours, but only recently that both games started to crash on me after a minute of playing! the game freezes and the sound keep looping/repeating, only thing could do is hit escape to quit. I get a message about hl2.exe not responding or some crap like that, then i get those message son my screen:

it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!! ....so i decided to fully uninstall HL2, episode 1, Steam and everything else on the list. Re-installed everything, and the same problem is still there! :(

what can you guys suggest from the screen? i defraged the game and verified the integrity of the cache for each game, everything is fine, but the games still crash me.

i need to finish ep1 since ep2/TF2/Portal are out in a few days(pre ordered) them and i need to finish ep1 to move on to the next games.....not to mention the list of games waiting for me on the Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Wii and DS!

i've got a very busy schedule as you can see!

thoughts?

im running the games on my Core 2 Extreme 3Ghz/Asus Striker mobo. CPU temp is around 45c and mobo is 40c.....so this is definitely not due to any over heating.

thanks!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 21:18 
Editors
Editors

Did you update any drivers or install any new programs?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 22:32 

Did you update any drivers or install any new programs?

gosh.....i did update to a new 8800GTX drivers(required to play Team Fortress 2), but then again the problem was happening before updating, so i dont think it's the drivers.

im looking through the add/remove in control panel and last i installed were the following:

nVidia Drivers
Sega Rally
XBOX 360 wired controller driver(also recently updated)
Nero 8
PSP Video 9 (converts video to Sony PSP format)
Azureus (bittorent client)

that's it.....what do you think i should do? remove all at try out the game again? .....that would be a painful process! :(

i'll uninstall the nVidia drivers and see how that goes.

thanks,

m,

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 23:32 

ok, i removed the nvidia drivers that were downloaded from the nvidia site, and installed the nVidia drivers from the manufacturer of my videocard(Xpervision)

the game still gave me the same problem....it crashed.

i exited, removed the xbox 360 drivers and unplugged the controller, restarted, fired up the game again....and still the same problem.

then i removed PSP Video 9, rebooted, played HL and still the same problem....though it seems the game lasts longer but now i get MAJOR frame rate drops....like instead of a steady 50-60fps, i get like 10fps.

you know i noticed something in my add/remove called "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable". the first one is 422kb and the second is 2.37MB

since the game gave me a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. could it related to those files? what are they for anyways?

anyways, i'll keep eliminating those programs i installed last and keep checking the game after uninstalling each one of them.

thanks!

EDIT:

ok here is an update, after removing all the programs above the problem still persists! major frame rate drops then the game crashes and i get a window saying "hl2.exe" has stopped working! :(

since none of the above programs were conflicting, i have to re-install them all over again grrrrr!!!!! >_<

not only that, but it seems like it's a Half Life 2 engine problem....how could i fix that? ....i hope to god that this doesn't affect the Team Fortress 2 :(

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 00:37 
Editors
Editors

I read stuff on the Steam forums that people with problems should delete the ".blob" files in your Steam directory. Back them up first incase i'm talking bollocks mind. Give it a try.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 00:55 

I read stuff on the Steam forums that people with problems should delete the ".blob" files in your Steam directory. Back them up first incase i'm talking bollocks mind. Give it a try.

thanks, will try that out now!

btw, the other weird thing is that i played the game from an earlier save game and it ran like butter......it's only where my last save is where all hell breaks loose! strange! ...could it be a bug/glitch?

anyways, do you have a link to that steam forum thread that talk about the problem?

thanks!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 01:29 
Editors
Editors

Not sure which thread it was, i stumbled upon it while trying to read stuff about TF2. Have you also tried to turn HDR off?

There's a HUGE thread about it here, so i guess you're not alone.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500297&highlight=runtime+error+hl2.exe

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 01:31 

There's no need to worry about deleting the clientregistry.blob or those two steam.dll and steamUI.dll files. I HAVE to do that, if I close Steam, and want to run it again. Don't run the Steam.exe from the desktop, but run the one in the Steam directory.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 09:41 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 03:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Hm Nero 8, eh?

The unreleased version, eh?

i echo wuzisface - I've never had ANY crashes.lockups with Steam or any of the Valve games.

Yet anotehr reason to not use Vista until Sp1 comes out