Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 16:18 

So, I work from 7 - 4 and I get off and proceed home. My wife usually works nights, so most of the time, I'm sitting there watching tv, wasting away on the couch.

I have some games I play on my PC, but not having the internet at home (I'm writing this from work) I can't play BF2 anymore.
I've beaten, numerous times:

Oblivion
FarCry
Deus Ex 2
HL2
FEAR

I play Civ2 all the time, but that game is starting to get on my nerves too. I hate RTS, puzzle, and RPG's are starting to annoy me. Since I don't have the internet, do you guys know of a great out of the box game that doesn't require me to download 16 patches before I can actually play it (Gothic 3)?

Also, I don't want to get out of the house and walk or do exercise or something. I just want to entertain myself.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 16:51 

Firstly, I think its interesting that you consider playing games more productive than watching TV. I'm with you and feel the same way, but it is a funny way to look at things. Along that note, if I spend the whole night watching TV, the night feels wasted. But if I stay up until 2am playing the latest game thats caught my attention, its another matter all together.

To answer your question, games to play out of box;
GRAW (Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior)
Rainbow Six: Vegas

Both have patches, but are only needed for the online playing side of the games.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 17:05 
Editors
Editors

Classic games which are free Transport Tycoon TD patch is great. E-comerce ahoy.

Otherwise endless hours out of crash day enjoyed it loads.

not to mention Fable. that's pretty cool.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 19:04 

Never thought of GRAW. I played the first Rainbow 6 back in the day, but it didn't really draw me in.

I think my problem is that I'm too addicted to BF2, and I can only play the really horrible bots. I mean, I get in the chopper and I can desimate them on their highest difficulty setting. :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 19:07 

Firstly, I think its interesting that you consider playing games more productive than watching TV. I'm with you and feel the same way, but it is a funny way to look at things. Along that note, if I spend the whole night watching TV, the night feels wasted. But if I stay up until 2am playing the latest game thats caught my attention, its another matter all together.

Most computer games give you a fake sense of accomplishment, making it feel like playing them isn't really unproductive at all. You defend planets from invading demons, save hostages from fanatic terrorists, get shiny new armour for your RPG avatar, command your troops and conquer your enemies, win World Cups and Grand Prixs, and you can compete with other real people over the Internet.

But, erm, yeah, I play computer games a lot. Maybe too much. MMOs are the worst of all, so stay away from those, Jenkinsbball!

Try Company of Heroes. Yeah, it's a strategy game, BUT it's very different from stuff like Command & Conquer or Warcraft. In the singleplayer campaign, you mostly just command a small number of squads, and there's hardly any base-building. I've heard of many players who dislike traditional RTS games, but really dig CoH. So give it a shot.

Oh, have you played Deus Ex (1)? It's much better than 2. (Unless you play games for the visuals rather than the game).

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 20:21 

But, erm, yeah, I play computer games a lot. Maybe too much. MMOs are the worst of all, so stay away from those, Jenkinsbball!

Not likely to be a problem for him, as he said he doesn't have internet access at home. :)

Try Company of Heroes. Yeah, it's a strategy game, BUT it's very different from stuff like Command & Conquer or Warcraft. In the singleplayer campaign, you mostly just command a small number of squads, and there's hardly any base-building. I've heard of many players who dislike traditional RTS games, but really dig CoH. So give it a shot.

For what it's worth, I was convinced to try CoH with this same rationale, but in the end it was still just an RTS to me. A well-done RTS, but I'm not a big fan of them, and CoH was no exception. Foruntately I got it for only $20 at Best Buy.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 20:44 

Never thought of GRAW. I played the first Rainbow 6 back in the day, but it didn't really draw me in.

Vegas isn't really anything like the previous versions, none of the planning and the action feels like its on steroids :o

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 22:08 

[quote]Never thought of GRAW. I played the first Rainbow 6 back in the day, but it didn't really draw me in.

Vegas isn't really anything like the previous versions, none of the planning and the action feels like its on steroids :o

That's what I hated. All that planning crap and following it and such. I want to just find my way in and massacre them without worrying I didn't go through this or that door.... or something.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 23:03 
Editors
Editors

Oh, have you played Deus Ex (1)? It's much better than 2. (Unless you play games for the visuals rather than the game).

Even if you play games for the graphics, Deus Ex was better than its sequel. ;)

Have you seen Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? Hitman: Blood Money? Hitman: Contracts? Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in the US)?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 23:10 
Editors
Editors

The games that have kept me entertained the longest that are OFFLINE are

- PES4, 5 and 6 (over 250hours combined)
- NFS:Most Wanted (76 hours)
- GTA: San Andreas (42 hours)
- Toca Race Driver 3 (28 hours)

This is going by what my xfire profile tells me :D

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam