Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 17:05 

Greetings - Was thinking about buying this game but am now hearing that the port from the 360 is not the best. For those of you that are playing it...

1. How are the graphics in the game? How do they compare to FEAR and GRAW for example? Especially if you have a high-end gaming rig.

2. How does the save system work? Can you save any time you want (i.e. quicksave), just at checkpoints, only at the end of a level, etc.

Thanks, Mark

AMD FX60, ASUS A8N32-SLI, 2GB Corsair, 2TB Hard Disk space (4 x 500GB, Raid 0), Zalman CNPS9500, Thermaltake 750w PSU, BFG 7950GX2 1GB video, Gigabyte 3D Aurora, TH2GO, 3 x Dell 2001FP LCD

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 19:43 

is the PC version already released? :shock:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 04:51 

just installed it and gave it a test run. seems that it only saves your progress at specified checkpoints. the quality of the graphics is excellent (just as good as fear) even though i was only running it @ 1024*768-- doesnt seem to have any native widescreen res options -- im actually lookin to find a 'fix' for that right now.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 08:54 
Editors
Editors

Hello and welcome to the WSGF ... 8)
im actually lookin to find a 'fix' for that right now.

Did you find this ? ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8072

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 12:25 

The PC version is completely identical to the 360 version. I actually have bought both versions as I have console-only friends and PC-only friends that I want to play the Co-op game with. Ubisoft is LOVING me this year.

I hooked my 360 up to the component input on my 2405 and had the PC version running through the DVI. I set both systems to 1280x720 and did the split-screen PIP. They look pretty much identical. I give the edge to the PC version as the edges were crisper and textures are sharper as well. Some of this could be attributed to the interface (component vs. DVI-D). Obviously you can turn the resolution up even further on the PC and it would look substantially better than the 360.

The port is ok, but the 360 version runs better. I am quite sure that my PC is more powerful, yet there are framerate issues (not too bad though) on the PC version that you simply don't get on the 360. I am kind of bummed that they couldn't optimize the PC version to run a little smoother, but overall it is the same experience. According to some forum posts, even 8800GTX's struggle at the same points, which is ridiculous considering the specs on that beast. The game has never been "unplayable" by any means, but there is some noticable chop in certain areas that really bug me.

The save system is also identical to the 360 version and uses checkpoints. No save-anywhere option. The checkpoints are that far apart, so you won't have to redo too much of a level when you die.

I would say that it looks VERY similar to GRAW. Especially the first few levels where you are in Mexico. The environments look almost identical.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 12:41 
Editors
Editors

Thanks Gabbo ...
It's good to hear that the PC and 360 versions are pretty much identical ... I have seen this posted before somewhere but now I have it from a reliable source ...
I've been playing the 360 version on my 43" Plasma ... I love the game-play and it looks great but I'm so useless at using the controller for this type of game ... :roll:
After saying that ... because of this game I'm getting a little better ... :lol:
I've even played a little further in GRAW on the 360 as I'm slowly getting the hang of the controller.
Never the less ... I can't wait to get the PC version so I can use a keyboard and mouse and try the res fix for the TH2G.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 13:22 

Well... I take back the part where I said the port was "ok". The port was terrible considering it does not support widescreen resolutions.

Thanks to the contributions of madmos5y, the game supports widescreen resolutions, but there are quirks when hacking the game. When you zoom in with a scope, or switch to nightvision or thermalvision, there is an odd 4:3 framing within the 16:10/16:9 screen. Of course the 360 version supports widescreen perfectly. :roll:

After more consideration, I am VERY disappointed in Ubisoft for not supporting widescreen out of the box ESPECIALLY considering the source. Remember when we thought that the 360 could potentially be very good for widescreen gaming on the PC? Well, this isn't the first case where the developers had widescreen support in the 360 version and then "forgot" to implement it in the PC version. Just Cause anyone?

Ubisoft has been very hit-or-miss with this recently.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 13:43 
Editors
Editors

Yeah what were they thinking... no native WS ... I just don't get why it would be such a problem to include it ... :roll:

Anyway ... how's the key maping ? and can you map all the mouse buttons ?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 14:02 

Yeah what were they thinking... no native WS ... I just don't get why it would be such a problem to include it ... :roll:

Anyway ... how's the key maping ? and can you map all the mouse buttons ?

Ah... funny you should ask.

No. It will not let you map to a Mouse4 button! :evil:

So lame.

I would be even more mean about the game if it weren't so much fun to play with others Coop. If it hadn't had that option, this game would still be on a store shelf.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 14:20 
Editors
Editors

No. It will not let you map to a Mouse4 button! :evil:
So lame. .

Oh no ! ... that's pants ... :(