Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 09:44 

Editorial contributions to the site by me, I file under the name "The Ramblings of a Moron" for naming continuity, and to warn of non-perfect editorial skills. (Not to mention the high probability of completely moronic things being said.) This is me trying to improve my written communications as well as contribute at the same time. Without further delay:

The Ramblings of a Moron, Articles by Cynagen
This post does not reflect the views, opinions, or stance of Widescreen Gaming Forum and it's staff. It is only of my own, so anything you have against it, PM me or comment.

"Atten-hut!" Welcome to the world of R.U.S.E. where your battlefield, espionage, and anti-espionage tactics go hand in hand in hand to change up the playing field in your favor by tricking your enemy one direction, and flanking from another.

A fresh change to a stagnating RTS genre is very much welcome with R.U.S.E. and with it's interface closely resembling that of World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, and Company of Heroes, it will most certainly receive the open welcome of many gamers. Play from an overhead tactical, or zoom in to watch the carnage, the choice is yours. However, I do find you will more than likely spend 90% of your time in overhead tactical view, this isn't that big of a drawback as there are well detailed models for each type of unit at the widest zoom, a refreshing change from usual usage of an icon for a unit. Even better is similar units stack up automatically when within close range of one another, thus allowing easier control of a larger group of forces. Tactics with small or large groups are very much important and key to victory in this game, though there is some tactical loss in the game with the reduction of units available to bare general classes.

The learning curve is semi-steep. If you've already got a great handle on all the aforementioned titles in this article, you will have little trouble adapting to using espionage and anti-espionage R.U.S.E.s to throw your opponents off and give you the tactical advantage. If you're like me, a novice in the RTS genre, you will endure some hardships and major losses. The background music for the beta does retain the military cadence feel and instill a sense of real battle in your virtual world, though feels repetitive. Lack of unit types may be the easiest way to deal with adding in new gimmicks, but it also has the downside of reducing the tactics of troop placements and troop selections for battle to just click-attack-this.

I'm loving this beta though, and can't wait to see what the final product looks and plays like with all the modes unlocked and with no timer limit on the battle. I will however be wary of any DRM that Ubisoft decides to shove down our throats with this game, especially after the whole Assassin's Creed 2 fiasco. I feel it will come down to DRM making or breaking this game.

This Ramblings is only a preliminary review based on the limited Beta version and is not meant as a review for the final version, please follow this thread for an update after the release of the game.

Scoring:
Graphics: 9/10 (Models are very detailed at both overhead tactical view and battlefield view levels.)
Audio: 7/10 (Seemingly repetitive cadence, though very high quality and wonderfully produced.)
Action: 7/10 (Being as you will more than likely spend 90% of your time in the overhead view, the absolutely stunning battle animations of each unit will be lost upon you.)
Re-playability: ?/10 (I cannot give a score here as this is not the final version.)
Value to Cost: ?/10 (See previous summary.)
Overall: ?? (Now waiting for the final version to really give this game it's final review.)

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 15:13 
Founder
Founder

Posted to the home page. Thanks for letting me know that I missed this.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 00:07 
Editors
Editors

I couldnt get into it, tried it only for a very short while but it did fully support triplehead from the looks of things, and here at WSGF thats a big deal.