Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 13:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 23:15 

Prior to the advent of Steam and teh likes I had to travel 30miles to Galway city to pick up a game. A sixty mile round trip. In my case and for this reason alone Steam is worth it's weight in gold.

well I can see what you get at, and it all comes down to : steam needs serious competition on the online game market so that their service improves ...
and there's a lot of room for improvement as can be seen in this very thread...

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 01:57 
Insiders
Insiders

Too true, but Steam is by far, by best DD system I've seen and used. I've tried a couple other and they just lead me to cursing at my screen and writing constructive hate-mail.

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 06:04 

Look. You're not a lawyer, ok. But I don't care about the EULA or other stupid initials.

Perhaps you should at least care sometimes what the EULA says. They contain information as to what you can and cannot do with your copy of software. And sometimes discrepancies are found. Still, times have changed when softwares years ago did not come with such things and people believed that software/applications they purchased are theirs alone as property.

Do you really think companies are your parents? That they will provide you with your nourishment? That they are only interested in YOUR welfare?

They are only interested in planned obsolescence. Do you know how much companies get scared that there are still people playing COUNTER (...) STRIKE today?

I did not conjure up that analogy or idea, nor do I believe that they should take care of us, the customers. Whether or not the developers of any software want to provide post-release support is completely up to them. They, the developers, are the ones who make the choice of taking care of the customers who use their software.

But at the same time, things change, hardware evolves, and computers become more efficient. Developers want to take advantage of that extra computing power. So they make an improved iteration of their product.

You think it is in their best interests to KEEP *YOUR* games in THEIR server for you??? NO!!!! They AREN'T!!!

Ok, they have "back up" plans, of course, but you know that they also have the on-off switch! The delete key! The "I want those guys to stop playing portal so I'm just gonna delete it from the server and the money they paid for it will be all wasted for them because we spent it and we want more" attitude.

If the people at Steam are willing to simply pull the plug on a variety of software and/or games that sit on their server, it is their call. However, it is virtually guaranteed that if they do so without any forewarning, they will be criticized for such immediate action. They do, however, likely have a good and general idea as to how to proceed in the event that they have to remove old products to make room for new one. Yet there is one thing people have forgotten.

Half-Life is over 11 years old as a game. About 5 years after this, Steam was released and Half-Life can be a part of it. It is the oldest title available on Steam and can still be played to this day.

I LIKE having CDs and boxes and if I take good care of them I'll never misplace it. Do you understand that? Do any of you understand that? Having the CD and box for games that I don't have to ask permission over the internet is the only way I can guarantee my money has been spent in something no one will take from me. So, you guys are so bad at tidying up your rooms that you need the COMPANY to keep the installation files for you, even knowing they will fuck you tomorrow?

Or do you agree with your posessions being taken from you? Ok, come and tell companies to come here to my home and steal back my guitar, my fridge, my books then.

I want to go LEGAL and support companies and that's what I get? You know, if I just downloaded pirated copies of games, and unlocked my XBOX to download content from a torrent server, it would be much easier. But I wanted to be legal. To pay to have my things. And not have then arbitrarily taken from me.

But no. People don't understand. I get bad karma. And still will have my posessions "revoked" from me

So far, there is no record of any legitimate game purchase being taken away due to digital distribution. But you like your CDs and boxes and that's understandable. I do too. I sometimes like having a hardcopy if it means that I can install it and be done with it. But at the same time, hardcopies of today are becoming more troublesome with games being riddled with invasive copy protections. That becomes a hassle to some of us who wanted a game that just simply run without having to deal with a copy protection system. And some of those copy protection systems has potential to make a computer unstable.

It isn't so that our place is a mess. But I will admit that my room is indeed not tidy. On the other hand, I still know where my copy of BF2 is and I still have Return to Castle Wolfenstein sitting in the jewel case. As I mentioned before, Steam is a service that can provide convenience. There is a risk involved and there are disadvantages to using it. And we know the risk. Is it paving the way to the worst case scenario where they will suddenly turn evil and shut everything down? I personally doubt that. Storing information in the cloud is becoming a unique feature for internet applications. Would they delete the installation files from their servers? That's highly unlikely. The cost of storing data on hard drives and whatever storage medium in use today continues to go down. Will they ever dare to turn off the authentication systems altogether? That depends on the direction that Steam is going. So far, I do not see Steam going anywhere any time soon.

I may not have understood your bitterness against digital distribution in general. But I have seen a few implementations of it. Amazon lets you download mp3s you purchased and it has no strings attached to it. Music from iTunes also do not require authorization from Apple to play now since they have removed the protection system from it. Some games from Steam do not come with any form of DRM, enabling people to be able to launch and play the games without the need of having Steam running to play. It's not conforming to anything. Rather, people like the convenience over what they may have to deal with if they purchased the hardcopy instead.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 14:38 

recent updates to steam saw some some of my portal savegames going to steamcloud, it's now disabled but they are still sitting there on the web ...

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 14:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Last update gives ability to enable/disable Steam Cloud for all individual games. That i have installed, anyway. I just wish they'd save control schemes, as well.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 18:34 

*launching game through steam*
-"oops I forgot I was downloading something steam won't be able to connect..."
-"ho well I'll just cancel it"
*clicks "cancel" button*
the window fades out but after a couple seconds reappear again ....
================================
*launching game through steam (steam already launched)*
-girlfriend: "wan't to watch something with me?"
*since I see a cancel button in the steam window telling me my game is currently launching, I click on it thinking I got rid of the whole gamelaunch process *
WRONG! after a couple seconds HL2 shows up ...

conclusion : the cancel button is just here to look pretty :mrgreen: :lol: (& nothing beats killing the process directly :p )

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 02:37 

The problem with cancel is that steam is largely single threaded, so especially when its loading something it will lock up.

Luckily loading is usually instantaneous (unless my hard drive is strained then its terrible.)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 02:35 
Administrators
Administrators

Now that I have used Steam for a while, I have personally found Steam to be one of the best things that has ever come along.

Gone are the days of trying to find my brother online, find online servers or running a dedicated server, checking that the right ports are forwarded, that our games are at the same version number, and headbutting the wall because you still can't play alongside each other for unexplained reasons.

Steam > Invite Friend > Play.

I think with gaming online becoming more popular due to things like Steam that make it so easy, my brother and I are finding more and more co-operative games than ever before which was always a real treat before. Previously we'd just have to go onto a multiplayer server and deal with the 11 yr old TK-ing you to take your vehicle.

If Steam said 'we are no longer hosting these games online, here is a standalone installer to download by 'x' date before we remove it completely', I'd be cool with that too. But I am the type of person that enjoys the newer games and really if I never played alot of my older games again, I wouldn't lose any sleep. I bought the right to play them at the time, got my monies worth, and don't really look back.

Also, games are much cheaper on Steam than in shops here in Aus, sometimes half the price or even less, depending on the sale they have on.

I know everyone doesn't feel like me, this thread definitely shows that, but for people like myself and my brother, Steam is gold.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 17:37 
Insiders
Insiders

*launching game through steam*
-"oops I forgot I was downloading something steam won't be able to connect..."
-"ho well I'll just cancel it"
*clicks "cancel" button*
the window fades out but after a couple seconds reappear again ....
================================
*launching game through steam (steam already launched)*
-girlfriend: "wan't to watch something with me?"
*since I see a cancel button in the steam window telling me my game is currently launching, I click on it thinking I got rid of the whole gamelaunch process *
WRONG! after a couple seconds HL2 shows up ...

conclusion : the cancel button is just here to look pretty :mrgreen: :lol: (& nothing beats killing the process directly :p )

Oh good god this!

Also I just finished going through a two month long support ticket because the new .url shortcuts got borked. I'll post a link later.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 15:32 

[...]Steam > Invite Friend > Play.[...]

That made me remember the old days of 56k direct modem to modem play (through phone)
LOL it was really a hassle to be able to connect to each other ...

on the other hand lag was not too extensive, considering the old technology...

Anyway, you made a good point, don't have much "friends" in steam though because most of my real friends don't have steam & don't want to hear much about it ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next