Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 13:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Modern WarFAIL 2
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 02:20 
Editors
Editors

You know, I think the petition/boycott should modify its strategy. Instead of canceling their pre-orders now, everyone should pre-order a retail box, then cancel the pre-orders en masse just a couple days before launch. Activision will then have not only a revenue issue, but also some inventory and shipping issues. ;)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 02:54 

Activision will then have not only a revenue issue, but also some inventory and shipping issues.

Dear world, please never do this.

I would like a Prototype patch before I die.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 09:26 

You know, I think the petition/boycott should modify its strategy. Instead of canceling their pre-orders now, everyone should pre-order a retail box, then cancel the pre-orders en masse just a couple days before launch. Activision will then have not only a revenue issue, but also some inventory and shipping issues. ;)

Tell me how to do it that wan't hurt retailers and I am there. Is there a pre order system online?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 12:18 
Editors
Editors

I don't think this was posted here before : Analysis: How Call Of Duty DLC Boosts Revenue, Publicity
So for all those still wondering, they just screw gamers for mo' money.
That won't ruin my day, I'm not interested in MP and... still have to install CoD4. Despicable motives nonetheless.

Hey, I hope the Establishment in Germany & Australia will acknowledge the fact that, if "violent" video games were really teaching us to be murderers, the death toll among publishers would increase dramatically after screwjobs like this... :roll:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 17:02 
Editors
Editors

[quote]You know, I think the petition/boycott should modify its strategy. Instead of canceling their pre-orders now, everyone should pre-order a retail box, then cancel the pre-orders en masse just a couple days before launch. Activision will then have not only a revenue issue, but also some inventory and shipping issues. ;)

Tell me how to do it that wan't hurt retailers and I am there. Is there a pre order system online?
Oh it would hurt the retailers, but that is part of the equation. Retailers that feel a pinch on the customer end are more likely to put some kind of pressure on suppliers. It's not as if they are without culpability of their own as well. On another forum a fellow posted that a friend who works at Gamestop was instructed by management to tell customers that dedicated servers would be patched into the game after launch. Also, Amazon has executed another review scrubbing to help preserve their sales. At the end of the day, I won't shed a tear if one of these big companies' has a bottom-line shift from black to red (unlikely anyway for a single-product boycott).

I don't think this was posted here before : Analysis: How Call Of Duty DLC Boosts Revenue, Publicity

If that isn't a crystal-clear explanation of why pubs want to impose the console business model on PC gaming then I don't know what is. Thnx for the link.

Hey, I hope the Establishment in Germany & Australia will acknowledge the fact that, if "violent" video games were really teaching us to be murderers, the death toll among publishers would increase dramatically after screwjobs like this...

Didn't you hear? Parents teaching their children to treat other people well has gone out of fashion. The exact same goal can be accomplished via government bans on art and entertainment. ;)

-edit-
Ok. WOW. I'll just quote the quote since it's worth it:
MCV has some quotes Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling saying developers should more actively participate in the marketing of their games. "I don’t think any developer should not have control of how their game is presented or marketed or communicated. And they should take control of that a lot, lot more," he tells them. Though some PC gamers might disagree, he explains IW's hands-on approach is because of how well they understand their audience: "Not only do we know the game but we know the gamer. We know what to expect from them and what they expect from us. So it helps us guide design decisions and decisions overall, including with PR."

I suppose one could twist the interpretation of that statement to mean "we know exactly what they want and thus know exactly how to screw them", but I don't think he is making that claim.

So...genuinely disillusioned or insidiously arrogant?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 20:11 

I suppose one could twist the interpretation of that statement to mean "we know exactly what they want and thus know exactly how to screw them", but I don't think he is making that claim.

Isn't it possible that there is a bigger mainstream audiance that doesnt care about dedicated servers? (I'm part of that crowd i guess).

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 20:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Isn't it possible that there is a bigger mainstream audiance that doesnt care about dedicated servers? (I'm part of that crowd i guess).
They are called console tards.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:09 
Insiders
Insiders

I used to do alot of console gaming, as i could not afford an expensive rig till as of late. I must say server selction on the pc is much better than the way matchmaking works.

I understand the need for match making, but server selection makes it easier to find what you want to play and you dont have to worry about what map gets randomly selected (for the most part).

I like both systems, but matchmaking should only be used in a certain section of multiplayer, the rest of us who just want to pop into a game and play for a couple of minutes and go about our day want to be able to pick our severs. Not only that but I do enjoy a good mod every once in a while. If all you do is play all the same stuff, you will find that the replay value of the game will go down.

POINT: Activision made a bad decision and will probably suffer in sales because of it.

END POINT: Did anyone notice how they didn't really advance the graphics in CoD: MW2? It looks exactly like the first game. :P

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:20 
Editors
Editors

Sure. That third option would essentially boil down IW's message to PC gamers as "we don't care about what you want." Since that is basically what they've been saying so far, I think you answered my question.

402's latest guidance for the community:
Just an FYI, if you're wanting a spoiler free and pure Modern Warfare 2 experience, now would be a good time for a media blackout.

So the Community Manager for MW2 advises the CoD fan base to completely ignore media coverage of the game 2 weeks before launch (when anticipation is at fever pitch)? Does he want to take the next two weeks off? Isn't it his job to promote the game in as many outlets as possible? Just about every review site I know is very careful about avoiding spoilers, so what exactly is this 'purity' of which he speaks?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 22:58 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Isn't it possible that there is a bigger mainstream audiance that doesnt care about dedicated servers? (I'm part of that crowd i guess).
They are called console tards.
:lol:

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next