Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Oct 2024, 13:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 17:13 

If it doesn't work though, I will hate it, because it will not serve a purpose but to annoy me.

I think thats where you and the rest of us differ though. You seem to be expecting it to succeed, we expect it to fail. After it fails we will all be back on the same page according to this quote.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 17:39 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote][quote]"People are jerks. People steal stuff because they can, it's that simple." That is a broad and frankly narrow minded assumption. Next time read a post in context.

It's pretty common sense.

No its not, its a sweeping generalisation about a group of people you don't agree with to the point it gets to you on some level. If pirates where classed as a demographic, like gays, that kind of remark would be considered prejudice as you are assuming with no prove, what most pirates think and the reasons behind it. OK so used an extrema example but the principal is the same, assuming almost every pirate is doing it for bad or immoral reasons is just wrong in itself.

So I stand by my opinion that's incredibility narrow minded, just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you should make sweeping statements like that, if anything else it just makes it seem like your not considering any other points of view.

BTW, I've tried to word this very carefully so as avoid insulting or offending you.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 21:19 
Insiders
Insiders

No its not, its a sweeping generalisation

It's common sense, and denying it is absurd. Pickpockets steal because they want money. Shoplifters shoplift because they don't want to pay. Pirates pirate because they don't want to pay.

about a group of people you don't agree with to the point it gets to you on some level.

Don't downplay theft.

If pirates where classed as a demographic, like gays, that kind of remark would be considered prejudice as you are assuming with no prove, what most pirates think and the reasons behind it.

Again, it's complete common sense. Common sense does not need proof. Contrariness to common sense needs proof. It's not prejudice to make a common sense claim no matter who you are discussing. For instance, the majority of gays desire equal rights. I have no evidence or proof of this, but I'm claiming it anyway, and you are not going to tell me I'm being "prejudiced" for assuming what most gays think in this regard.

assuming almost every pickpocket is doing it for bad or immoral reasons is just wrong in itself.

Look at what I did to your claim. Does it make any sense now? If not, why are software thieves so special that they are entitled to a benefit of the doubt that any other kind of thief would not?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 21:27 

I think you miss understood Skids position...

Skid is saying that people pirate for certain reasons, not simply because they are assholes.

assuming almost every pickpocket is doing it for bad or immoral reasons is just wrong in itself.

Look at what I did to your claim. Does it make any sense now? If not, why are software thieves so special that they are entitled to a benefit of the doubt that any other kind of thief would not?

It makes perfect sense... the number one reason to pickpocket is probably because someone has no money and wants food for them selves or even their children. If that's a bad or immoral reason then lock me up...

There are still some modern day robin hood's, "Steal from the rich, give to the poor", I think that's bad but not immoral.

Now I'm sure there are some people who do not need the money who simply steal because they can, which is bad and immoral like Skid was talking about...

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 21:29 
Administrators
Administrators

In legal terms piracy is not theft its breach of copyright, and the public is split down the middle with if they thing illegal file sharing is stealing.

For example on last weeks 8 out of 10 cats they used a survey with the question Is illegal downloading stealing, 59% said no.

Your "common sense" appears to not be as common as you might think. Hence why I still stand by that is a narrow minded point of view to take.

I was also putting in the remark DaFox just made but I see I don't need to know.

There is an underlying reason as to why I disagree with your point of view, while I was in secondary school and collage I only had enough money to get maybe 4 games a year, so my friends would always trade games and let each other make copies of them. Now that I can afford my games its mainly thanks to the games I had pirated that I choose to play the games I do now, and even bough games of otherwise smaller titles I may of otherwise overlooked.

This type of behaviour is especially true of music pirates, time and again its been show then the people that spend the most money of music and mp3s are the pirates, the reason, there is more music out there for them to consume then they have money to pay for it.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Skid is saying that people pirate for certain reasons, not simply because they are assholes.

I understood that just fine. It's a load of crap. People who acquire a product without paying for it... want a product and don't want to pay for it. It's not "certain reasons."

the number one reason to pickpocket is probably because someone has no money and wants food for them selves or even their children.

We have social programs such as welfare for that. Your province does too. Being poor sucks, but it doesn't mean starvation. Try again.

There are still some modern day robin hood's, "Steal from the rich, give to the poor",

Like who?

Now I'm sure there are some people who do not need the money who simply steal because they can,

And I'm sure this applies to the VAST majority of thieves.

In legal terms piracy is not theft its breach of copyright

Widely believed myth, but it's not true. Theft is a very broad term, and displacing a physical object is only one kind of it. You take something that doesn't belong to you without the owner's permission, you are stealing.

For example on last weeks 8 out of 10 cats they used a survey with the question Is illegal downloading stealing, 59% said no.
Your "common sense" appears to not be as common as you might think.

It just means that common sense is easy to overlook when free games is involved.

Hence why I still stand by that is a narrow minded point of view to take.

It's a logical point of view. If there's only one logical explanation, I'm not one to ignore reality just for the sake of being "open minded." Pirates want free games is no more narrow minded than 2+2=4.

There is an underlying reason as to why I disagree with your point of view, while I was in secondary school and collage I only had enough money to get maybe 4 games a year, so my friends would always trade games and let each other make copies of them.

Maybe you could have gotten a part time job, and therefore helped the economy as well as earn your games. And don't tell me there was no time for it. If you had time to play games, you had time for a part-time job.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:51 

The number one reason to pickpocket is probably because someone has no money and wants food for them selves or even their children.

I would pickpocket for fun if I had the ability. I could pretend to be a spy or something. I wouldn't give a crap about any kids though. Why should I? I would be a pickpocket.

Now if I was a prostitute, I would support my kids then cause I could pretend I am a manwhore with a heart of gold.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:03 
Administrators
Administrators

Widely believed myth, but it's not true. Theft is a very broad term, and displacing a physical object is only one kind of it. You take something that doesn't belong to you without the owner's permission, you are stealing.

Incorrect, in the UK piracy is copyright infringement which is a civil offence, while stealing is a criminal offence. Also to steal something you must remove the orginal, hense why its COPYright infringement not stealing.

It just means that common sense is easy to overlook when free games is involved.

The question was about illegal downloading in general not free games, and common sense is mostly dictated by common consensus.

It's a logical point of view. If there's only one logical explanation, I'm not one to ignore reality just for the sake of being "open minded." Pirates want free games is no more narrow minded than 2+2=4.

Just because its logical doesn't mean correct, things aren't invented because people think of the logical step forward, they think outside the box to invent new products, logic is just cold in the real world.

Maybe you could have gotten a part time job, and therefore helped the economy as well as earn your games. And don't tell me there was no time for it. If you had time to play games, you had time for a part-time job.

I had a part time job thank you very much, don't make assumptions, I also went to a fencing club.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Incorrect, in the UK piracy is copyright infringement which is a civil offence, while stealing is a criminal offence.

"Stealing" does not refer to a single type of behavior. You can't say it's a "criminal offence" that precludes copyright infringement.

Also to steal something you must remove the orginal

Not at all. There are many kinds of theft. Not all of them involve "removing the original." For instance, if I embezzle funds, that's theft, and yet the "original" is a wad of paper that stays in the bank vault.

The question was about illegal downloading in general not free games

What I said about free games applies equally to just about anything one might download.

common sense is mostly dictated by common consensus.

Common consensus would usually agree that to cheat someone out of payment for services rendered is a form of stealing. And yet, when this is boiled down to a mouse click, the temptation is difficult to avoid, and one rationalizes to avoid thinking of themselves as a thief.

Just because its logical doesn't mean correct,

It's a much stronger case for being correct than anything you've offered to the contrary.

things aren't invented because people think of the logical step forward, they think outside the box to invent new products

People don't *defy* logic to get things invented either. Thinking out of the box and being logical aren't mutually exclusive. Doing both is pretty much required unless your goal is to invent things that don't work.

I had a part time job thank you very much, don't make assumptions,

I had assumed you were being truthful when you said you only had enough money to afford four games per year. Part time jobs tend to generate more income than that.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:33 
Administrators
Administrators

With regards to points 1, 2 they have there own terminology to separate them in terms of law not group them together.

Common consensus in that matter is not as black and white as you think people believe it is.

I never said one way or the other whether I thought it was right or wrong, my argument is you should think of things as as black and white as you and Velvet is.

To the last point, yes, computer, laptop, living, rent, textbooks and college are all free so I had a shit load of money floating around. :roll: for someone using decent points so far I'm a little surprised you didn't think that one though. Also I take special exception to people who randomly call or imply I'm a lier, although I take greater exception for people who tell me I'm not allowed my point for view but I don't expect people to do that here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next