Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Jul 2024, 00:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 12:56 

I was really impressed with the performance of the game (autodetected Ultra Quality). It was running no less than 35 outside and uptp 60 indoors.

That was until i headed west into a large forest and the framerate took a huge dive, like unplayably slow!

I think my CPU is my bottleneck here... and my onboard sound isnt helping either (and my Audigy 2 doesent fit in the case...)

Paradigm Shifter... your pc is almost identical to mine apart from your faster CPU, hows it running for you?

(i have HDR on, i dont find the jaggies much of a problem in this game...)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 14:14 
Editors
Editors

Heh, well, unfortunately, I don't have my X1900 rig available at the minute - I'm away for a conference for the next four days... on my 2500+/6800GT rig (got a chance to test it last night) it does pretty well, although it's really obvious that it isn't at max - the ground in the distance looks pretty poor... I'll try turning off HDR and ramping the textures up a bit more.

I'll get back to you on how it runs on the X1900 on Wednesday, if someone reminds me... ;)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 14:22 
Editors
Editors

Well, i also bought it today and can say that it runs very well on a X1900XT.
I have everything maxed out except for AA (cannot go together with HDR :evil: ) and it runs awesome.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 15:06 

IIDX, I wasn't comparing WoW as a whole to Oblivion, just items and spells/skills, as well as dungeon design.

There are 2 things which make visuals impressive.

- Technology (pixel shaders, high definition rendering, high poly-count, etc).

- Art and design (models, textures, world/building/level design, animations).

Oblivion clearly wtfpwnz technology-wise (though, at the cost of framerates on non-state-of-the-art systems), and I can't say that it isn't great art-wise either. But I think World of Warcraft is slightly better in this 2nd category. Stormwind, Ironforge, Mauraudon, Onyxia, Shadowfang Keep, etc. etc. are artistically the best shit I've seen in any video/computer game, ever.

Have you played through World of Warcraft instances? (Ignore Molten Core - that's the only one which doesn't look amazing imho). Every single room has been hand-crafted. No copy-paste-rotate duliplication done with some high-level dungeon editor. In Oblivion, so far, it seems to me that there's lots of duplication, and the few dungeons I've seen so far don't come close to Blizzard's work. The Oblivion ones I've seen all had Doom-style, grid-like architectures which made them seem a bit unconvincing. They're not bad though, just not amazing, imho.

But yeah, Oblivion's got a totally different art style - it aims to be realistic. Some of the buildings I've seen in Oblivion do look amazing (like that cathedral in that little city with the paranoid Elf in the south - don't recall the name), and the building interiours are awesome too. I guess it's mainly just the few dungeons I've seen so far which didn't blow me away. But then again, I've not seen very much of the game yet, so I probably haven't seen the best stuff yet...

(I entered the first Oblivion gate yesterday btw. I'll go check out the tower inside it now I think. Maybe that'll change my opinion :p).

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 17:45 

Yeah I actually have two 60s in WoW...the instances were cool in it, but I find the oblivion dungeons far more engrossing...actually I don't know, I like both a lot, so it's tough tos ay that.

But just FYI, Oblivion dungeons were also all hand designed and made. I admit there is a kind of series of dunegons, the cave looking one, the ayleid ruin, the old worn out castle etc. But still they all look so great to me I never noticed anything wrong :P

Oh well, to each their own, I respect your opinion I just don't understand it! :P (sorry I'm too obsessed with TES games)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 18:51 
Editors
Editors

Well, I've just experienced my first Oblivion crash to desktop... not entire unexpected given that the system is was running on isn't the most fantastic thing around any more... the Windows install itself is a little flaky sometimes, so I don't think I can blame it on the game.

I have one complaint - I broke into one shop as an experiment - no one saw me go in or out, or even be in the damned place - I got to a town a little way away, and suddenly two guards jump me! Huh? Are they clairvoyant or something? :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 20:54 

Long post.

Well, I agree that Oblivion's dungeons have a similar "feel" among the individual types, but bear in mind the world Bethesda is trying to create. In Oblivion, all the ruined forts look similar (not the same, but similar style) because they were constructed by the same society at roughly the same period in Tamriel's history. Go tour some ancient Roman ruins in Italy, and I'm sure you'll get the same "feel" amongst all the buildings. I can't speak for WoW (never played), but Cyrodiil is one province probably on top of one type of bedrock, which would suggest lots of similar caves. To arbitrarily have different styles would feel out of place.

*SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*

However, Bethesda does a good job differentiating in certain spots. Early on in the game you "crash" the Mythic Dawn's party, so to speak, in their cave, which is really stylistically done IMO. Also, there are side quests where you actually go into an impressionist painting and fight painted monsters. EXTREMELY artistically done, I think. Also, there is one instance in which you go into a mage's dream, which is also spectacularly done.

/ *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*

Plus, each city has it's own architectural style, drawing on influences from surround provinces. Different landscapes dot the different climate areas. The list goes on and on. Oh, and the water effects cannot be compared to any game out today. *Sigh* All right, I'll stop ranting. I'm just too in love with this game now and feel I have to defend it at every given moment.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 23:49 

I thought that the X1900 cards were able to run AA w/ HDR. Can anyone with a card in this series post their results? I'm thinking about upgrading (currently using 7800GTX 256mb) and was debating whether to get the 7900GTX or the X1900XTX.

From what I hear, the 7900GTX and the X1900XTX are about neck-and-neck, except the X1900XTX was supposed to run HDR & AA but the 7900GTX couldn't. The 7900GTX, however, is supposed to run quieter and cooler. But if the X1900 cards won't run Oblivion with both enabled, I'll probably lean toward the nVidia card.

And while I was on the fence about Morrowind, I can honestly say that Obivion is fun to play. Not perfect, mind you -- but fun. I chose a stealth profession, and the main quest so far seems to favor warrior classes over stealth. I think that the "role-playing" elements in Morrowind were better, even if the game itself was less accessible.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2006, 00:00 
Editors
Editors

Hello ... welcome to the WSGF ... 8)

My 7900GTX's can do HDR and AA in some games ... just depends on the game :?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2006, 00:01 
Editors
Editors

I thought that the X1900 cards were able to run AA w/ HDR. Can anyone with a card in this series post their results?

I just read this on IGN.com ... :cry:

Bethesda recently announced that the PC version of ES4 cannot have both HDR and AA, but it looked quite nice with just HDR. Load times are faster on the PC, but the visuals are about equal. The 360 version of Oblivion does both HDR and AA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next