Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Sep 2024, 23:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 03:53 

DLC doesn't bother me too much. We live in an age of hyper-marketing, why should games be any different? Consumer decides what they want. Chopping a game into bits and selling different pieces isn't a big deal as long as the product is worth it, and the overall price scheme matches consumer expectations. In some ways, if the game blows like er, oh, I don't know, say, uhm, Oblivion, you could make the argument that had all the content been included up front perhaps the game would have cost $100 or more. Hence you buy the basic game and shell for $60 and then buy DLC for things like pretty armor for a horse.

I'll pay $200 for a good Dragon's Age over the $60 I blew on Oblivion, which would have been better spent gambling at the back of the local 711 on cockroach pit fights, getting drunk on rancid banana wine and hurling garbled curses at the fruit flies that were trying to get in on the fermentative action.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 04:42 

I don't "do" DLC and I never will. In just 3 or so years it went from nothing to every single gamer with too much money hopping on forums and comment pages of article;

"Oh I hope they will do a DLC!"

When the year before they were releasing this stuff for free. I will do expansion packs. Hell, keep your three DLCs and make it an expansion pack, that's fine. It's the principal of the thing for me.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 05:20 

I don't "do" DLC and I never will. In just 3 or so years it went from nothing to every single gamer with too much money hopping on forums and comment pages of article;

When the year before they were releasing this stuff for free. I will do expansion packs. Hell, keep your three DLCs and make it an expansion pack, that's fine. It's the principal of the thing for me.

The idea that we used to get stuff like the Fallout 3 DLC for free is very misinformed. We never did.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 05:26 

[quote]I don't "do" DLC and I never will. In just 3 or so years it went from nothing to every single gamer with too much money hopping on forums and comment pages of article;

The idea that we used to get stuff like the Fallout 3 DLC for free is very misinformed. We never did.

Considering I didn't just fall off a damn plane and lived through the rise and fall of PC gaming I find it hard to believe I'm the one who's misinformed.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 07:19 
Insiders
Insiders

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 07:22 

You're a little late on that Mach1.9 ;)

[quote]I don't "do" DLC and I never will. In just 3 or so years it went from nothing to every single gamer with too much money hopping on forums and comment pages of article;

Team Fortress 2.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 07:30 

[quote][quote]I don't "do" DLC and I never will. In just 3 or so years it went from nothing to every single gamer with too much money hopping on forums and comment pages of article;

Team Fortress 2.

How is that anything like Fallout 3 DLC?

I am talking expansive singleplayer content here people, not multiplayer maps. That kind of DLC is basically just expansions but smaller, and for a smaller price. We never got that crap for free... if we did I want an example, just one. TF2 ain't it (and even TF2 is a freaking outlier if I ever saw one, multiplayer game wise).

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 07:32 

Considering I didn't just fall off a damn plane and lived through the rise and fall of PC gaming I find it hard to believe I'm the one who's misinformed.

So, you're assuming I "fell off the plane" then? As I said above, give me one example of singleplayer content the size of Fallout DLC that was released for free. Just one.

Also, PC gaming has not fallen...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 10:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Haha totally missed those posts, bloody RSS reader!

At M1.9 I'm slow, imagine how bad I'd be if I was stuck at 55mph :p

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 11:07 

[quote]Considering I didn't just fall off a damn plane and lived through the rise and fall of PC gaming I find it hard to believe I'm the one who's misinformed.

So, you're assuming I "fell off the plane" then? As I said above, give me one example of singleplayer content the size of Fallout DLC that was released for free. Just one.

Also, PC gaming has not fallen...

Suck it: the witcher enhanced edition

:P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next