Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 23:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 18:24 
Editors
Editors

The answer to all of those is 'yes', but there's nothing wrong with the monitor. Regardless, the Dell U2311H ignores any scaling information given to it via the GPU and does it's own thing. It never loses any of the image (overscan) but monitor scaling overrides preferential settings on the GPU. This is in XP32, so I guess it might be different with Windows Vista or 7, which use a different display driver model, but I don't see why that would be the case.

Via VGA it works fine. Monitor doesn't override GPU scaling. Interesting...

Excuse me while I test an idea...

Idea tested.

Latest XP32 drivers installed, resulted in DVI hookup defaulting to 60Hz, rather than 59Hz. Don't ask me why it defaulted to 59Hz, but at 60Hz, GPU scaling takes precedence. At 59Hz, scaling was broken. Weird. I don't normally bother to check what refresh rate is now - especially since at 59Hz the monitor was reporting 60Hz refresh rate, but Windows was adamant it was 59Hz. Set Windows to 60Hz, a whole host of extra resolutions appeared, too. I love drivers. :|

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 20:39 

I like Blizzard's official response of "no we don't do this" followed immediately by "well yes we do actually." If you ban people for using any hack because it could be used in multiplayer, even if it isn't, then you are banning people for singleplayer cheats. That's common sense.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66003

Yeah that's pretty humorous.

I don't see how it has anything to do with protecting multiplayer, They just simply need to not run their AntiCheat checks in singelplayer games. It's not hard.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 22:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Regardless, the Dell U2311H ignores any scaling information given to it via the GPU and does it's own thing. It never loses any of the image (overscan) but monitor scaling overrides preferential settings on the GPU.

GPU scaling doesn't work that way. The GPU does not "give" the monitor any scaling information. The GPU just does the scaling, and then gives the monitor a native resolution picture. The monitor can't "override" the GPU's settings - it's physically impossible. For all intents and purposes, the DVI cable is one-way communication - the monitor cannot send instructions back to the GPU.

Think of it like this. You've sold 480 units, but your boss expected you to sell 1,080 units. Monitor scaling is like this - your report says 480 units, and your boss inflates the figure to 1,080 units, but he sucks at lying, so the final report is clearly distorted.

GPU scaling is like this - you inflate the figure to 1,080 units yourself, and hand that in. The boss thinks you met expectations, and files the report exactly the way it you wrote it. You didn't tell him that this figure is inflated, so he has no idea you are lying, and it is impossible for him to "override" your lies with his own spin, nor is there any reason he would.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 11:58 
Editors
Editors

Bad analogies not required. Read second post. Driver bug with GPU scaling @ 59Hz, or something.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 21:53 
Editors
Editors

Yikes:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/18/blizzard-suing-creators-of-starcraft-ii-hacks/

I'm getting the vibe that I won't be playing any future Blizzard games.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 02:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Suing online hackers is something I can actually dig, though calling it "copyright infringement" is a little ridiculous.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 02:24 

Suing online hackers is something I can actually dig, though calling it "copyright infringement" is a little ridiculous.

Everything about it is ridiculous, as PC fans we should be scared about this kind of crap. Technically if they win with this bullying all of our widescreen 'hacks' are... illegal in the united states on the grounds of copyright infringement... for editing memory values as long as it says so that we can't do that in the catch all software EULA.

They are pushing the EULA crap really hard too, One of the guys that they are targeting doesn't even own Starcraft 2. :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 06:00 
Insiders
Insiders

All of that's contingent on the offense being "copyright infringement," as opposed to damaging the quality of their online service by making and distributing hacks for it. Had they been claiming the latter instead, there would be nothing ridiculous about it at all.

They are pushing the EULA crap really hard too, One of the guys that they are targeting doesn't even own Starcraft 2.

There's no irony here. These are two unrelated statements - they are pushing the EULA hard, and they are also claiming someone who doesn't own the game committed copyright infringement. If the lawsuits were for EULA violation, and one of the defendants did not even own the game, then we would have irony.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 06:30 
Editors
Editors

Technically if they win with this bullying all of our widescreen 'hacks' are... illegal in the united states on the grounds of copyright infringement...

Let's see...I'd be on the chopping block for Ubisoft, EA, Valve, THQ, and others. I certainly hope Hayden doesn't get caught up in this mess.

Nice. Just realized I've modded an Activision game as well.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 06:57 

They are pushing the EULA crap really hard too, One of the guys that they are targeting doesn't even own Starcraft 2.

There's no irony here. These are two unrelated statements - they are pushing the EULA hard, and they are also claiming someone who doesn't own the game committed copyright infringement. If the lawsuits were for EULA violation, and one of the defendants did not even own the game, then we would have irony.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here but, The guy has never downloaded the game illegally, he has never bought the game, he tried out the beta, but he does contribute to the SC2 hacking scene.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next