Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Oct 2024, 12:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 00:05 

Well, I cancelled my pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2. I decided that playing the 'wait for a no-internet-crack' game was stupid, as it still involves giving Ubisoft my money... and quite a lot of it, since I had the £60 Collectors Edition ordered. If I buy AC2 at all, it'll be when they remove that stupid permanent-net-connection-needed idea, or possibly on a console when I see it going for a fiver.

Why do you need to wait for a crack? The crack would be for long-term reasons, to ensure you can play the game in 20 years. When it releases I plan to play it online, because why not?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 14:48 
Editors
Editors

Because I do not agree with needing to be online to play a single player game.

Unless I'm playing a multiplayer game on Steam, I game in Offline mode. And with the modem off. I don't see the point in having my system online when it isn't necessary.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 00:28 

Because I do not agree with needing to be online to play a single player game.

Unless I'm playing a multiplayer game on Steam, I game in Offline mode. And with the modem off. I don't see the point in having my system online when it isn't necessary.

Well I agree it shouldn't be required, but I would also say it is no big deal. I don't see why you would shut the Internet off to game, almost every game is designed for the exact opposite now.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 11:16 

*for security reasons... well it could be a reason, the less online you are the less vulnerable
it's also why I don't endorse the fact that it's not possible anymore to have a dynamic IP
while a fixed IP is nice for server roles & the like... a bit variation prevents overexposing one's computer to all kind of threats...

*for privacy ... these days almost all apps connect to the internet without explicit content, I know some knowledgeable people are watching what happens, but what if something important is missed by them ?
like an app giving out personal data under the cover of online verification ? how much time till it's found out ? but then what if you were affected ?

so as a rule of thumb an app that doesn't need internet should be forbidden to access it (I actually do that, although there's ways around a firewall...)

*for ease of use : if you play while travelling or not at your home ...

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 11:43 
Editors
Editors

Well I agree it shouldn't be required, but I would also say it is no big deal. I don't see why you would shut the Internet off to game, almost every game is designed for the exact opposite now.

When I'm gaming, I can't see what activity there is on my network connection. I like to know what is going on. If there is activity I cannot account for, I get concerned. Call me a control freak. It's why I hate auto-updaters - there is this sudden, random burst of activity for some inexplicable reason. If my system isn't online unless it needs to be, while offline, it's not vulnerable to an external nasty.

Now, if I'm playing a multiplayer game, I'll accept the necessity of an active network connection (of course) but a network connection should not be necessary in any way, shape or form for a single player game. I use Steam under sufferance more than anything else, because it doesn't force you to always be online; you can still play in offline mode.

As for Firewalls... the only firewall worth using is one in between the internet and the PC - a hardware firewall. Software firewalls are utterly, utterly useless as the threat is already on the system before the firewall can do anything about it.

Let's just sum it up as: I don't trust the internet as much as other people obviously do.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 11:45 
Editors
Editors

*for privacy ... these days almost all apps connect to the internet without explicit content, I know some knowledgeable people are watching what happens, but what if something important is missed by them ?
like an app giving out personal data under the cover of online verification ? how much time till it's found out ? but then what if you were affected ?

Ah, what was that iPhone app that phoned home to the developer every time you ran their program to tell them where you were, IMEI number of the phone, what you had run since you last opened their program and other deeply personally identifiable information?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 18:46 

yeah well I don't know about this particular issue since I'm not fond of iphones in the first place...
however simply searching "iphone privacy issue" raises particularly interesting results ;)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 08:45 

http://kotaku.com/5474209/assassins-creed-ii-pcs-drm-sounds-as-pleasant-as-a-stab-in-the-neck

Wow it is actually worse than I imagined.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 10:00 
Administrators
Administrators

http://kotaku.com/5474209/assassins-creed-ii-pcs-drm-sounds-as-pleasant-as-a-stab-in-the-neck

Ok I'm not longer getting this game on release I'll wait until there is a crack available for it. I can see it now, many excised people get there new games login to play, and the volume crashes the server, everyone losses there game and any unsaved progress. Or, an annoyed person with this idea of DRM to stop piracy at the expense of the customer, hacks the server and brings it down.

Hmm that gives me an idea (eyes up 4chan) :twisted: .

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 12:15 

I must :bowdown before this "ho so wise" move from ubisoft ... :roll:
how about dissuasive nuclear power directed at pirates hum ?

:cheers ubisoft
*whispers to some virtual ubisoft guy* you know that a crack will come out anyway right ?so .... what's the point ?

welcome to the new world, where a crack is the only "freedom" they will leave to us :(
and where I'll have to teach people left & right where to search for solutions to their problems, isn't that a bit counter-productive ?
*bangs his head against the door*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next