Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jul 2024, 07:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 18:52 

Has anyone found this in store in the US?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 19:04 

Eh, Oblivion was obviously another game developed with the modern mindset of 'consoles first'. With about eight mods (not including Shivering Isles and the other DLC) Oblivion PC becomes an awesome experience.

I rate it higher than Morrowind with the right mods, but without them far, far lower.

ha you got me interested ! :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 19:13 

Has anyone found this in store in the US?

Its out on steam.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 19:51 

Its out on steam.

Box > Steam

Plus I am avoiding ccard purchases at the moment.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 21:01 

Plus I am avoiding ccard purchases at the moment.

paypal

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 21:42 
Editors
Editors

ha you got me interested ! :)

Um...

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul 1.31
Qarl's Texture Pack 3
Darnified UI

...and a bunch of other texture, quest and location mods that I'll have to go back and check out to make sure. My Oblivion directory current stands at something like 14GB (the stock install is 6GB or so...) so I've got a lot of mods all crowbarred in together.

But those three up there are the essential essentials. Darnified fixes all of the horrible console UI bits. OOO fixes the 'everything levels up with you' flaw, and QTP fixes the blurry repeating textures.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 22:47 

[quote]ha you got me interested ! :)

Um...

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul 1.31
Qarl's Texture Pack 3
Darnified UI

...and a bunch of other texture, quest and location mods that I'll have to go back and check out to make sure. My Oblivion directory current stands at something like 14GB (the stock install is 6GB or so...) so I've got a lot of mods all crowbarred in together.

But those three up there are the essential essentials. Darnified fixes all of the horrible console UI bits. OOO fixes the 'everything levels up with you' flaw, and QTP fixes the blurry repeating textures.

Yeah, I loaded OOO and a few others and that really did make the game playable...but I thought...what I am playing here? Basically a game engine and some textures that some lazy-a$$ed, profit driven corporation crapped together, and then the community had to bust their collective a$$es to make it decent. Not to mention the hassle of ensuring compatibility of all the mods and updating everything, etc. All those idiot pay-for-download contents annoyed me as well.

So I refused to play it further on the principal of it all. Screw Bethesda.

P.S. I always thought Bethesda should have given Oscuro public thanks, paid him for the code, then released an 'Oblivion For Sentient Beings' edition featuring his mods and the best of the rest. Then I would have played it.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 22:53 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, I guess so. However, I suppose we should be grateful that Oblivion was easily modded. Many games aren't. I wasn't pleased at the DLC stuff, but I got it on DVD for dirt-cheap anyway, when a local shop was having a sale. I've have never paid for it otherwise (all the DLC for £4... I thought that was reasonable...) Shivering Isles I really enjoyed, though. In fact, I'd go so far to say that aside from the Dark Brotherhood quests, that Shivering Isles was the best bit of Oblivion.

What I do think is a joke is the DLC for Fallout 3. Sure, some of it's OK. But Operation Anchorage is a complete joke. Most worthless bit of DLC ever. (Again, I got it on DVD rather than download...)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 23:22 

Yeah, I hear you. Aspects of Oblivion were brilliant and it could have been so much more...ah well. Bethesda are like Hollywood to me, all flash and no substance.

Rise just finished downloading...I'm off to check it out.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 01:20 

This is the RPG of the year so far, no doubt. We'll see what Dragon Age has in store.

For all the people who loved Gothic and Gothic 2 but are waiting on this game because Gothic 3 was meh, BUY IT. Trust me if you can trust anyone that you will LOVE this game if you are a Gothic fan.

It doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't tell you where to go, it just sets you loose on a wonderful looking island and tells you to explore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next