Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 21:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 15:27 
Founder
Founder

You can complain about their standards all you want, but EA will probably not listen, or care.

Which is precisely why it's called... a rant. :twisted:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 15:27 

http://www.bfroe.com/12.png

hmm no problems here playing online

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 16:12 

If seeing a little more is unfair, then so is seeing better and farther. So is a lower ping etc. Like I said it's not a great argument.

I am talking about the controllable vs the uncontrollable. These contollable rules or standards are set up by the game à la game settings. Once you start modifying these settings in an external manner, well, then you've got conflict.

Since it seems this kicking is just a rumor, there really isn't any point discussing it anymore.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 16:36 
Editors
Editors

[quote]If seeing a little more is unfair, then so is seeing better and farther. So is a lower ping etc. Like I said it's not a great argument.

I am talking about the controllable vs the uncontrollable. These contollable rules or standards are set up by the game à la game settings. Once you start modifying these settings in an external manner, well, then you've got conflict.

Since it seems this kicking is just a rumor, there really isn't any point discussing it anymore.

I don't think you have a great point. What about editing your .cfg for Counter Strike? It's not in the options but you can change 90% of things there happily. Infact, when you join some servers they force you to change your rates and other settings, but yet these are nowhere to be seen in the ingame options menu?

Is editing your cfg considered cheating? Is it giving you an unfair advantage? Because PB only kicks for values way out of the range, but again these aren't anywhere in your option settings, but i'm sure the top clans in the world would never even consider playing with a default .cfg.

If you can change rates, maxfps, cmdrate fov etc, then why not the resolution too?
I'm just using CS as an example , i'm sure EVERY other online game out there you can edit your cfg in some way without it being considered an "unfair advantage"

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 17:14 

I'm not talking about what is cheating and what isn't. What could be considered cheating in a particular game, well, that's what I am trying to get at. Those things you have talked about, changing variables and commands in configs and ect, could be considered cheating, if Valve wishes.

Did you know there is a weather variable you can turn on and off via config for counterstrike? This, I believe, is a "cheat variable" and is not allowed on certain servers. There are others, too. Here is the perfect example of the kind of cheating I am talking about. Valve considers the variable a cheat, therefor does not allow you to enter the server with it on. Same could be said for resolution.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 17:48 

http://www.bfroe.com/12.png

hmm no problems here playing online

Try using widescreen since last two days.

That shot is a few days old

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 23:16 

It was working fine for me just a couple of hours ago.

I did have a problem with punkbuster kicking me, but downloading the manual updater from the evenbalance website and manually updating the 2142 version of PB completely solved my problems.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 00:01 
Founder
Founder

Did you know there is a weather variable you can turn on and off via config for counterstrike? This, I believe, is a "cheat variable" and is not allowed on certain servers. There are others, too. Here is the perfect example of the kind of cheating I am talking about. Valve considers the variable a cheat, therefor does not allow you to enter the server with it on. Same could be said for resolution.

You make an fair point. In the end it's up to EA/DICE to decide what is a cheat or not, and if they figure any extra peripheral vision is bad, then they don't properly support the technologies. That's their choice, it's their company. Certainly makes my decision easy if they continue to remain stubborn.

O/T: People kept asking about your av? Now I know why, cos I wanted to as well. :wink:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 02:05 

I've been boycotting EA games for sometime and this just reaffirms my position. EA does nothing but suck up good game studios and milk their games for cash by releasing sub-standard products that are rushed out as soon as possible for the sole purpose of increasing their bank account.

The fact that BF2142 does not support widescreen is nothing short of incompetence on DICE's part. It is just plain bad coding practice to make assumptions about the users hardware and then to hardcode them into a program as has been done with BF2142.

And I don't buy the crap about widescreen being an unfair advantage. Having an optical mouse gives you an advantage over someone with a ball mouse. Having a faster computer gives you an advantage over someone with a slower computer.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 16:16 

And I don't buy the crap about widescreen being an unfair advantage. Having an optical mouse gives you an advantage over someone with a ball mouse. Having a faster computer gives you an advantage over someone with a slower computer.

If you are claiming that an optical mouse over a ball mouse and faster computers are obvious advantages, which I completely agree with you (who wouldn't?), then widescreen is clearly an advantage over players using 4:3 resolutions. How are they going to control this? They can't really. They just chose to remove people from servers who are running widescreen resolutions. Am I mad? No, because I don't play EA games, they are rubbish.

Now, I would protest against Valve doing this on Counter Strike: Source. They wouldn't do this because they care about their player base. I could see this possibly coming into play for CAL though, since it's taken so seriously.

Okay, I am done debating over such a poor game that I will never want to play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next