Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 22:33 

Well after hering about this $50 spyware... I would have been shocked if it was any one other then EA... but Iv come to accept the fact that this is normal bussness for them...I could see there being spyware in a free game... but i mean come on you are still paying Full price 4 it. EA will just keep getting away with crap like this as long as we keep giving them our money...

Well when I first saw that 2142 was coming out and knowing how much of a pice of crap Bf2 was and how it still feels like a beta game... I thought of the best quote ever to discribe 2142....

"Out of order? Fu©k! Even in the future nothing works!" -Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

also this just makes me want to go and D/l this game off the net and burn it and give it to evey one I know... I dont see this as stealing because they will still be making money off it from the people that pay them to put ads in the game..no wait i would not even want to d/l this game.... time to boycot EA once and for all....

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 23:42 
Founder
Founder

Thing is, BF2142 is still selling like hotcakes despite EA's/DICE's history, the price of the game regardless of the ads, as well as any issues with the game looking almost like a BF2 mod.

EA are basically like any successful political party. They can do whatever shit they like, screw with the voters any way they like, but they don't care because they'll still get voted in time and time again. How much better can it get for them? :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2006, 01:03 

as well as any issues with the game looking almost like a BF2 mod.

Almost? I hear ya man... It basically is just a mod that costs $50. They even still have the same bugs that were in BF2. I cannot believe that the create/join squad is still as buggy as it was/is in BF2.

Unfortunately I have a very over-zealous friend who LOVES BF2 and BF2142, so I will probably have to get it so he stops bugging me about it.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2006, 02:11 

I personally thought Battlefield 2 was one of the most over-rated games ever.

EA is really a horrible company, they are notorious for in game ads but this is just insane.

In game ads can be ok if they fit the context, for example seeing a Best Buy in Need for Speed Underground 2 was fine to me, it helped the city seemed more believable. It wouldn't really be ok in something like Trackmania though.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2006, 13:04 

. They even still have the same bugs that were in BF2. I cannot believe that the create/join squad is still as buggy as it was/is in BF2.

Actually joining a squad when you die is impossible to prevent using the squad system as an alternate spawnbase and immediately leaving them once spawned. You can only join squads when you're alive, the only exception being when you join a server.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2006, 13:23 

[quote]. They even still have the same bugs that were in BF2. I cannot believe that the create/join squad is still as buggy as it was/is in BF2.

Actually joining a squad when you die is impossible to prevent using the squad system as an alternate spawnbase and immediately leaving them once spawned. You can only join squads when you're alive, the only exception being when you join a server.

Oh... my... God...

It all makes so much sense now! Thanks Lettuce!

EA still sucks though...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2006, 18:49 
Editors
Editors

"Out of order? Fu©k! Even in the future nothing works!" -Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I love SpaceBalls... fantastic film! :D

Unfortunately I have a very over-zealous friend who LOVES BF2 and BF2142, so I will probably have to get it so he stops bugging me about it.

I have a solution: tie him to a chair and subject him to hour upon hour upon hour of all the bugs that BF2 had, without allowing him to play it. If he still says it's the best game ever, submit him for psychiatric evaluation. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2006, 03:01 

Not to mention the fact that they are hosting in-game ads on servers that are run on hardware that is not paid for by EA and on bandwidth which is also not paid for by EA.

Having ads in the lobby where it is EA's bandwidth is one thing, having ads in games that are not being hosted by them, on their hardware or on their bandwidth is another.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2006, 06:12 

Not to mention the fact that they are hosting in-game ads on servers that are run on hardware that is not paid for by EA and on bandwidth which is also not paid for by EA.

Having ads in the lobby where it is EA's bandwidth is one thing, having ads in games that are not being hosted by them, on their hardware or on their bandwidth is another.

I don't understand the argument. When a commercial plays on your TV, isn't that taking your broadcast bandwidth? Does anyone question this? I know, you don't pay for network TV, right? But if you have cable or sattelite, you do pay for extended programming, and yes, the cable and sattelite companies are responsible for some of the advertising featured on those channels (not the networks).

I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, but it's already a part of the society we inhabit. If you like the fact that we have free markets and competition, part of that process is advertising, and there are many ways to go about it. The fact that they're utilizing a medium that you're not accustomed to seeing advertisements in is really the issue I think. But as long as it's done tastefully, I'm not opposed to seeing advertisements in games. As long as they're not releasing a Middle Earth game with Gandalf drinking a Coke... :P

Back on the original topic though, I wholehartedly agree that neither EA nor anyone else has the right to deploy spyware onto your computer. Unfortunately this is another ploy by marketers to watch over your interests and online shopping habits. This may be very helpful information to them, but they must not be allowed to spy on people to obtain it, or as others have said, this will be just the beginning.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2006, 18:11 

That's not exactly it. It would be like a camera company making their camera record advertisements along with your video.

The television stations have the right to run ads because they own the infrastructure and the broadcasting equipment. The camera companies don't get to run their ads for free on someone's TV station simply because they made the camera.

The same should hold true for EA. The fact is, these ads are being run on servers who's hardware was paid for by a third party and who's bandwidth is being paid for by a third party. And I'd be willing to bet that at least some of the game server's code is dedicated to managing those ads for all it's clients.

Then there is also the fact that the price of the game is still $50 US. If they are going to put in-game advertising the least they could do is reduce the starting price of the game.

[quote]Not to mention the fact that they are hosting in-game ads on servers that are run on hardware that is not paid for by EA and on bandwidth which is also not paid for by EA.

I don't understand the argument. When a commercial plays on your TV, isn't that taking your broadcast bandwidth? Does anyone question this? I know, you don't pay for network TV, right? But if you have cable or sattelite, you do pay for extended programming, and yes, the cable and sattelite companies are responsible for some of the advertising featured on those channels (not the networks).

I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, but it's already a part of the society we inhabit. If you like the fact that we have free markets and competition, part of that process is advertising, and there are many ways to go about it. The fact that they're utilizing a medium that you're not accustomed to seeing advertisements in is really the issue I think. But as long as it's done tastefully, I'm not opposed to seeing advertisements in games. As long as they're not releasing a Middle Earth game with Gandalf drinking a Coke... :P

Back on the original topic though, I wholehartedly agree that neither EA nor anyone else has the right to deploy spyware onto your computer. Unfortunately this is another ploy by marketers to watch over your interests and online shopping habits. This may be very helpful information to them, but they must not be allowed to spy on people to obtain it, or as others have said, this will be just the beginning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next