Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Sep 2024, 23:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Modern WarFAIL 2
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 20:44 

Progress on LAN and dedicated servers...

http://www.teknogods.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=227

Wow, so fast! It's beta but it works!

Looks like it supports the Spec Ops game play, but not the MP; yet.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 22:40 

To say that boycotting and voicing disagreement does not work is incorrect. It doesn't always work, but it is better than being pissweak and saying nothing when you believe in or fundamentally disagree with something.

In Australia, Ebay tried to make PayPal compulsary, ie removing the ability to make cash/transfer payments which increased the sellers costs, and increased Ebay's income (I think Ebay owns PayPal) under the guise of "Security" and "buyer protection". There was a very large lash back & boycotting from the Ebay public, including complaints, media attention and so forth. Eventually a Government Body responded and Ebay had to do a backflip on thier decision.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 01:04 

To say that boycotting and voicing disagreement does not work is incorrect. It doesn't always work, but it is better than being pissweak and saying nothing when you believe in or fundamentally disagree with something.

In Australia, Ebay tried to make PayPal compulsary, ie removing the ability to make cash/transfer payments which increased the sellers costs, and increased Ebay's income (I think Ebay owns PayPal) under the guise of "Security" and "buyer protection". There was a very large lash back & boycotting from the Ebay public, including complaints, media attention and so forth. Eventually a Government Body responded and Ebay had to do a backflip on thier decision.

I didn't say boycotting and voicing disagreement doesn't work. I said that in this situation, it won't work and people just cut themselves short in terms of missing out on a really good game. It's only detrimental to themselves since IW isn't going to add in dedicated server support, the monetary possibilities are worth too much for them to want to add that support in and it means that you just miss out on a great game. Single player was seriously great fun and the multi-player is at least functional. A couple things could be changed to improve it but for the time being it's definitely functional.

EDIT: Some updates to the game will hopefully include things like being able to choose region (it occasionally tries to hook me up to a US game if it can't find a game that very second locally). Although I have now edited the cl_maxping option in the .cfg so that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 01:13 
Editors
Editors

It definitely is a step backwards in terms of PC MP, I just can't understand why people would boycott it when it won't make a significant enough difference to make IW think about going back to allowing dedicated servers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't expect IW to reconsider their positions, release dedis, or "change their tune", so to speak. This isn't my goal. I won't buy their game primarily because I refuse to pay money in support of underhanded and deceitful business tactics. Secondary to this, I believe they are going in the wrong direction with PC technology, to the detriment of the customer/gamer's experience. There are more reasons, such as the absurdity of a $60 price tag, the brevity and linearity of the SP campaign, etc.

Progress on LAN and dedicated servers...
http://www.teknogods.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=227
Wow, so fast! It's beta but it works!

Awesome community win.

^^THIS^^

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 01:29 

Didn't Half-Life 2 retail at higher than 50?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 02:22 

Didn't Half-Life 2 retail at higher than 50?

No, it came in 3 packages Bronze Silver and Gold. Gold was $90USD, Silver must have been $70 with Bronze being $50.

Bronze got you HL2 + CS:S + DOD:S + HL2DM(IIRC?)
Silver got you Bronze + Valves back catalog
Gold got you Silver + a bunch of physical stuff that they shipped to you like a collectors edition box, posters, the soundtrack, a postcard etc.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 02:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Silver was 60 and got you every single Valve game (at the time). Bronze was 50 and got you HL2, CS:S, and HL2DM (a few weeks after HL2's launch when they actually released HL2DM), but not DOD:S.

Only dumb people bought anything other than HL2 Silver.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 04:14 

Only dumb people bought anything other than HL2 Silver.

I bought Gold and I was very happy with my purchase TYVM.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:22 

I think I bought Bronze. I don't really remember but 70 seems too high for what I paid. But I do have Half-Life Source so I guess it worked out for me.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:32 

I think I bought Bronze. I don't really remember but 70 seems too high for what I paid. But I do have Half-Life Source so I guess it worked out for me.

Maybe you bought that when it was $0.50 or whatever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next