Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 23:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Modern WarFAIL 2
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 20:32 

There will not be even list of servers, just service IWnet, that will "intelligently" connect you to the game with adequately skilled players. Shame on Activision-Blizzard (the owner of Infinity Ward).

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 20:36 
Insiders
Insiders

The only positive thing I can say is that if the party system works as well as it does on the XBox it will be a good thing... never split the party!

Still it is overall suck, especially as they could have included the ability to do both.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 22:27 
Editors
Editors

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx

Callous, arrogant, and dismissive, both from the IW guys and the interviewer. Class act.

One of the comments posted this quote from the podcast: "Buy the game try it and let us know." So that must mean if I just cough up the dough IW will make me happy? Sign me up!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 00:22 

One of the comments posted this quote from the podcast: "Buy the game try it and let us know." So that must mean if I just cough up the dough IW will make me happy? Sign me up!

lol if I buy the game and I'm not happy, they take it back ?
pfff I'd rather download a demo & try the game :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 01:39 

This guy makes a good point:

You people really do not see what this is all about do you? You think IW has done this to protect the casual gamer? Not a chance, it is simple economics, this way they can screw more money out of you and have you over a barrel

They have learned from the console market that they can get money from your initial purchase, but then screw you for an extra 30 - 60 dollars each year with DLC, stop teh clans modding the servers, releasing maps, then ever 6 - 8 weeks release DLC which contains 3 new maps with a few little tweeks and charge you $10 a time, and if you want to play online you HAVE to buy it, because all the servers will be running the new DLC, and if you don't buy you don't play

So all of you putting down the clan members that have been paying for the servers you have been playing since CoD first came out, well just bend over and grab your ankles, your about to be shafted, and they wont even use lube

IW are not doing you or anyone any favors, they are just milking you for all they can get

No dedicated servers means no custom content. (look at L4D, they have dedicated servers but the map content is lacking big time because of how its set up with the lobby system, its just not that great) Thats the biggest single loss to me, I have put (this may blow you're mind) over 2,000 hours into custom games on Counter-Strike and WC3 EACH. I contribute to a Source mod, both stand alone and server modifications (administrative tools etc) Both of which were available in the previous CoD games which are now gone.

The only positive thing I can say is that if the party system works as well as it does on the XBox it will be a good thing... never split the party!

Do you have problems with that on the PC at all? I join my favorite server and all my friends hop in and we play on there for up to 3-4 hours, the party is never split.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 02:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes on BF, you can get balanced to the other side. And you are not guaranteed of getting the same side when you join on a lot of games. I am not too worried personally cos CoD is a crap squad game... can't spawn on squad and it is pretty random spawning... but I know there are a lot of others who do like it as a team game.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 02:28 

Yes on BF, you can get balanced to the other side. And you are not guaranteed of getting the same side when you join on a lot of games. I am not too worried personally cos CoD is a crap squad game... can't spawn on squad and it is pretty random spawning... but I know there are a lot of others who do like it as a team game.

Isn't auto team balance a server option though? Cant you find a favorite server with it disabled?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 03:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah sometimes, but not always, and it is a hassle. So I love XBox Party joining, I hope it is as good on MW2.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 16:49 
Editors
Editors

Callous, arrogant, and dismissive, both from the IW guys and the interviewer. Class act.

You've seen the way Bobby Kotick (CEO/President of Activision) wants to treat both gamers and developers? After reading his interviews, it doesn't surprise me at all that Activision and IW are trying this.

Still, I think MW2 is going to be dead on the PC, while DICE clean up with Bad Company 2.

I just hope that it's not pirated much, so they can't scream "OMG! Piracy!" but that is probably a vain hope. Far too many people seem to think that it's OK to pirate it as a protest vote... but while publishers think that one pirate = one lost sale, it's shooting themselves in the foot. If you're not gonna buy it as a protest, please don't pirate it either. (Obviously not aimed at you, GA, it's a generalised 'you'. :))

Hey, if IW wanted to make themselves really popular, they could make MW2 will come with StarForce on the DVD. :P

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 17:09 

It ties to Steam, and for a lot of people that is just as bad.

Again though, they see Steam's high numbers and assume tying it to Steam is a good thing. I think they have relatively positive intentions with all of this, they just misunderstand (or dismiss) a large part of their audience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next