Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 00:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 22:26 

[quote]Does it feel like your on ice skates as with nigh on every other Valve game ? ... :P

Good god! Me and all my friends praise the movement in all valve games, Nothing else feels nearly as good as them. In my opinion obviously.

That being said...

I hopped on as soon as it came out, did my settings. The menu really seems to have a console feel to it rather than the VGUI menus in past valve games which are very inaccessible to a controller. and for some reason (hello consoles) they did away with the numbered mouse sensitivity in exchange for a slider which I really do not like. But what ever I can always change it in the console to match my other source games.

Then I tried to quickly hop into a game, the game started it took like a minute to connect then the loading screen popped up and i waited while it did nothing for another minute and it said I was disconnected from the server and spat me out to the main menu. At which point it showed on the menu that one of my friends on steam was playing so I clicked there and joined his lobby, same thing. Closed L4D and restarted steam went back in connected to my friends game in progress (I was replaced by a bot) and just took control of the bot, felt very nice and streamlined.

Then we played through, first of all its stupidly easy on "normal"(2/4) not one person died. I did not really enjoy the experience and disliked (but still glad that I purchased) the game after that first initial impression.

I started up again this morning playing singleplayer, I went much much slower as I would in a singleplayer game checking every closet, and every inch of the level in general. And then I really started to enjoy the game once I really new the level and the guns, the movement and all that jazz.
I think I just jumped in too fast at first.

Valve pulled a Halo in this one, you can see your legs!

If anyone wants to try the early demo but did not preorder:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/l4dearly/default.aspx

Simply leave the transaction ID blank, fill the rest out and hit submit and viola! Access to the early demo.

Multiple people have confirmed this to work.

normal is WAY too easy, i only really like hard and hardest (dont remeber the actual names. but the 2nd hardest one feels like normal should feel. Anyways, I really like it though, I love zombies and i love valve.

what's the console command if I want my mouse sensitivity at 16, i do really miss that number input, i dislike the new menu very much. but it works, besides the previously mentions server browser missing.

it hasd a nice feature to invite your friends to the game though, that's nice.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 22:43 
Editors
Editors

Oh no you're not!! I completely agree with you, ...
Yeah, HL1 was ridiculous with that. It's like Freeman's boots were coated with Crisco or something.
Wow ... I'm not alone ... he-he ... I feel all warm and fuzzy now ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 22:44 

The mouse sensitivity command is simply:

sensitivity 16.0

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 03:43 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Oh no you're not!! I completely agree with you, ...
Yeah, HL1 was ridiculous with that. It's like Freeman's boots were coated with Crisco or something.

Well you are and you aren't. I definitely understand what you're saying, but I did my best not let that keep me from enjoying the game. But yeah there were definitely moments where I was like: "Really game? Really?"

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 04:38 

:lol: ... It is something I have always had a problem with with Valves games
Move in any direction ... let go of the key and you keep going in that direction just for a moment ... to me this feels like being on ice skates ... :lol:.
It's still realistic in a sense, because you can't stop on a hairpin in real life...you have to slow down first (unless you hit a wall, but that's a different story...)

I think the demo's interesting, albeit a great bit different from the other glorious Valve games (ALL HAIL!).

"The Director" system seems to work out nicely. I've played it through a couple times and it did seem to be a different experience (even though the levels were essentially the same geometry).

The third time through it I did see the zombies bust through a wall to get to me. That was brilliant :twisted:

I have screenshots up in my folder on the FTP. Don't think you can get to them without FTP access though... (and there's a good number of them too...)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 04:47 

[quote][quote]Oh no you're not!! I completely agree with you, ...

Well you are and you aren't. I definitely understand what you're saying, but I did my best not let that keep me from enjoying the game. But yeah there were definitely moments where I was like: "Really game? Really?"

I actually tried to feel it in l4d, and I think that I can feel what you guys are getting at... But it feels completely natural to me, Probably because ive played over 5000 hours worth of valve games.

I must say though that theres a whole sub genre of gaming within valve games dedicated to the physics of moving.
ala Xtreme-Jumps for CS1.6
http://xtreme-jumps.eu/news.php
and KZMod for the Source engine
http://kzmod.com/news.php

The only other games that seem to come close to this kind of dedication towards the movement would be Quake 3.
ala DeFRaG
http://www.breakdown-hq.com/

While the Quake 3 guys have basically desected the movement of their game down to a science, the CS1.6 'KZ' player numbers are huge clocking in nearly 55000 members on the official site.

With that being said, I played with my friend on Expert(4/4) just now and wow... Thats what the game is about, the zombie count scales dramatically with difficulty.

What was once rather bland (no different than other free source coop mods ala Synergy) turned really intense, fun and original once the difficulty gets ramped up

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 10:08 
Editors
Editors

Don't get me wrong guys I don't hate Valves games I just don't think they in general are the the bees knees as many do.

I can live with the ice skating ... I just don't like it.
To be fair it isn't as noticeable in some games as in others. ...

DaFox ... it's amazing how "into" these things people can get ... wow
Wish there was an anti ice skate mod ... :P

Anyway ... can't wait to give this game a bash ...
All the comments on the game have me all revved up ... this could be the first MP game I get really into.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 13:58 

normal is WAY too easy, i only really like hard and hardest (dont remeber the actual names. but the 2nd hardest one feels like normal should feel. Anyways, I really like it though, I love zombies and i love valve.

Agreed. I played on normal at first with my friends, and it was too easy, so we decided to crank it up to Expert (the highest difficulty), and holy shit, we got owned so hard.
In the apartements in the first map, we were ambushed by a Hunter, a Smoker, and a Boomer, at the same time. We didn't make it very far after that :lol:
Now we play every game on Advanced, it gives a good challange, and the Tank is still hard to take down.

Another thing about the demo. The subway map isn't the entire map, the safe room at the end is just a regular room with ammo in it, as can be seen in one of the gameplay videos from PAX.
I think this is nice, because now we won't be able to fly through the map the instant the game gets released.

I normally don't like MP games, I'm more of a SP guy, but I'm having tons of fun with this. I think it's because all MP games are usually just DM, TDM, CTF, and I can't stand those MP modes. CO-OP on the other hand, man, it's sweet :D

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 15:09 

Agreed. I played on normal at first with my friends, and it was too easy, so we decided to crank it up to Expert (the highest difficulty), and holy shit, we got owned so hard.

hahahaha ,me and friends were like 'we're hardcore , we'll play on expert from the start' , 50 attempts later and the furthest we had made it was out near the police car on the road.
NOTHING is more intense than the first time you see 40 zombies burst through a wall and run at your group, i think i was laughing for about 5 minutes after our first wipe

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 15:57 
Editors
Editors

Well you can play as the zombies in single player by using the console. It's buggy because you're not meant to do it, but it works well enough !

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745482

Got these screens by using the add_z command to spawn as many zombies as i wanted. :P

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next