Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 14:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 17:18 
Editors
Editors

I skipped Bioshock, took a pass on Mass Effect, and will skip Crysis Warhead now that I know it, too, uses the same overly-restrictive DRM.

Hang on... Crysis Warhead has phone-home activation?

Well, I'll be cancelling my pre-order, then.

I can just about accept phone-home activation for an OS. Games are optional, so I'll just pass on Crysis Warhead.

Red Alert 3 is another game that I won't be buying because of this nonsense.

I swear, it ain't gonna be too much longer before I stop buying new games on the PC. :|

Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 17:47 

Have you ever played Bioshock?

Yes. I "got" a copy after the magic tricks were down to a minimum.

My god, that was an amazing game. Great story, shocking twist, terric gameplay, and an environment that almost made me crap my pants when that hydropsphere came over that ridge.

But once I beat it...I didn't want to play it again so soon. I just finished beating it on Hard without Vita-chambers, and that's why its on my mind, but still. It was an amazing game, but just had no replayability value.

You just proved my point. Even with an AMAZING single player, I wasn't interested in purchasing it because I knew after the story....there was nothing left!

Now COD4? I can literally beat that story in under two hours. It's a complete joke. If I want to buy a game that is almost entirely multiplayer only, I'd buy one that actually LASTS and continues having value months and months afters its release date. Team Fortress 2 anyone?

COD4 is more for people have been COD fans, I was in a very serious clan for CODUO and I loved it. COD4 is a fast passed multiplayer thats not for everyone, I understand that. Sure the single player was short sited, but they never came in thinking wow what a great storyline, it was more for the multiplayer like all the other ones.

I agree TF2 is fantastic, and I still play alot. Just to me, the Orangebox was a great deal because I got a multiplayer game with single player games, HL2 gave me CSS with it as well. Fantastic deals. It makes me want to buy it! That is what most pirates look for. Single player? who cares...I'll crack it and play it. Multiplayer? oh that looks like fun. Maybe I should buy it.

Just stating.

oh and I'd thought I'd pass along a comic from my daily reading

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 17:49 

If a a game is too expensive I wont play it. Cause if I rat it and play it then I will talk about it and maybe my buddies will want it and its not too expensive for them so they will buy it thus throwing a wrench in the supply and demand thingy.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 18:24 
Editors
Editors

Hang on... Crysis Warhead has phone-home activation?

I'd put money on this being the same SecuROM as other EA titles:

For the sight-impaired ;)

Like that other bit about the EULA? Made me laugh inside...

I swear, it ain't gonna be too much longer before I stop buying new games on the PC. :|

Same here. EA is making it easy for me to keep more of my money.

-UPDATE-
EA continues to get spanked by pirates and customers.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 19:02 

[quote]Now COD4? I can literally beat that story in under two hours. It's a complete joke. If I want to buy a game that is almost entirely multiplayer only, I'd buy one that actually LASTS and continues having value months and months afters its release date. Team Fortress 2 anyone?

COD4 is more for people have been COD fans, I was in a very serious clan for CODUO and I loved it. COD4 is a fast passed multiplayer thats not for everyone, I understand that. Sure the single player was short sited, but they never came in thinking wow what a great storyline, it was more for the multiplayer like all the other ones.I was a COD fan from the beginning of the series, and would still be playing COD2 if they didn't shut off the master server :roll:

It's just that the multiplayer leaves something to be desired. It's not very deep and is incredibly easy. The singleplayer is simply a joke though. Not a single aspect of it is good.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 19:38 
Editors
Editors

Now COD4? I can literally beat that story in under two hours. It's a complete joke. If I want to buy a game that is almost entirely multiplayer only, I'd buy one that actually LASTS and continues having value months and months afters its release date. Team Fortress 2 anyone?

2 hours?! :shock: Thanks for mentioning that detail. The demo map did seem to move at quite a fast pace, but if the SP content is THAT small I'll probably pass on CoD4 until it's in the $10 range (or on http://www.gog.com ;) ) With the little time I have for gameplay, I really don't need another MP title.

On the whole the CoD games really never hooked me like other guys. I own the CoD 1 deluxe box and have actually completed the SP campaigns. They were fun, but I have no interest in replaying them. MP was fun the few times I LANed with friends, otherwise it was back to Desert Combat (yeah, baby!).

Also, I played CoD before seeing Enemy at the Gates and Band of Brothers. After I saw those my respect for CoD's design team dropped. People raved about CoD's SP campaign...but come on, they lifted ENTIRE sections from movies/shows and used them verbatim. When I played the Siege of Stalingrad level in CoD I was amazed and enthralled. A year later my wife and I were watching Enemy at the Gates, and she was the one who spoke up first and said "Isn't this just like one of your games?" (and she had only watched me play for 1 or 2 minutes...maybe). I just sat there with my mouth open.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 20:54 

2 hours?! :shock: Thanks for mentioning that detail. The demo map did seem to move at quite a fast pace, but if the SP content is THAT small I'll probably pass on CoD4 until it's in the $10 range (or on http://www.gog.com ;) ) With the little time I have for gameplay, I really don't need another MP title.

I dont know if im bad or something but it took me 6-8 hours to play through.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 22:03 
Editors
Editors

For the sight-impaired ;)
Like that other bit about the EULA? Made me laugh inside...

The bit about the EULA makes me want to cry inside, I know that much. With the attitude of stores in the UK about returning opened PC games (because of the fact that, obviously, every person trying to return a game in the UK is a dirty pirate who has copied the disc) they need to start printing the EULA up so you can read it in-store. Because to read the EULA means opening the box and inserting the disc into your computer, and by opening the box, most shops here will not allow you to return the game.

Makes me want to take my laptop with me one day, buy a game, open it in store, read the EULA and then say, "I don't agree with this EULA - and according to it, I can get a full refund right now. So yes please - refund, hurry it up!"

Same here. EA is making it easy for me to keep more of my money.

I really want to buy Crysis: Warhead. I want to buy Red Alert 3.

But I refuse, point blank, to support this sort of crap.

Now I just hope that Fallout 3 won't have this bollocks on it as well. Or I'll be cancelling my pre-order for the Collectors Edition of that, too.

-UPDATE-
EA continues to get spanked by pirates and customers.

That was a fairly interesting read, actually. Thanks. :) Although EA's response is funny, "We've not changed our DRM scheme." Uh, no, no you haven't. You are using a newer form of SecuROM, which people are so far reacting badly toward. What amazes me is that it's no more successful than the older DRM schemes, but at least 'disc in the drive' games weren't a 'rental' scenario like the 'limited activations then you have to beg us for more' one.

The last paragraph is fairly amusing, though... in a 'despair for their stupidity' kind of way... "DRM can encourage the best customers to behave slightly better"... uh... honestly, I'd have said that the 'best' customers were already following to the letter, so all you've done is give them another hoop to jump through. It won't make the already good customers behave better. But it will make the perennial wavers lean more toward the 'bad' choice.

edit:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2330377,00.asp

Editorial. Boils down to "Thanks EA. Thanks for nothing."

Brings up an excellent point about using games for benchmarks, too - reviewers aren't going to go out and buy hundreds of licenses for a game just so they can use it as a benchmark... so Spore, Crysis Warhead, RA3, Mass Effect... the 'free-neutral' advertising given when using a game as a benchmark is non-existent.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008, 19:16 
Editors
Editors

Paradigm, you and I are in the same foxhole. I'll skip quoting your entire post to save screen space, but it still gets a QFT. :)

I'd like to buy Warhead as well, especially since it seems to be the fully polished game Crysis almost was:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/909/909584p1.html

But hey, at least Spore is up to 1.5 stars on Amazon, so maybe I should "look on the bright side" ;) Of course, the cynic in me says someone at EA said "Fix Amazon! Release the shills!" :lol:

-EDIT-
ROFL. PWNed by customer image:

On a serious note...I'd say this confirms games are now RENTALS.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2008, 01:28 
Insiders
Insiders

It's going down in history as a flop because of its DRM now;

It's way too early to call it a flop, regardless of how much the DRM is hated.

what's your point?

My point is that you can't point to Sins and conclude that removing DRM "works." All you can conclude is that it's worked for the games produced by that one company - you can't even prove whether they succeeded because of or in spite of the lack of DRM, much less that removing DRM is the correct way to go for every other company.

my thoughts on the issue is that the harder companies become on piracy, the more problems of piracy they will cause themselves.

There's really no grounds for claiming this. Pirates may feign indignance at DRM and use it as an excuse to download a game, but if someone's main reason for pirating a game was to avoid DRM and being cheap had nothing to do with it, the logical response would be to buy the game and bypass the DRM. DRM might deter legitimate buyers who don't know how to bypass it, but it isn't going to make legitimate buyers turn pirate.

A lot of pirates will pirate a game because it's fifty dollars versus one that is twenty dollars, simply because they don't have the budget to and/or don't want to spend that much for a software that cost less than five dollars to physically manufacture (not produce).

I've heard this claim before. Until I hear about "a lot of pirates" also sending $20 checks to the publishers after helping themselves to their $50 games, I'm not in a hurry to take this claim seriously.

I loved COD4...its on my "to buy list if I ever have money" but honestly besides that game not much makes me think...yeah $40 is worth it for a 10 hour game...or a 20 hour game....nope...give me a GOOD multiplayer too...then I'm interested...

That's quite unfair to the developers. You have their game, you didn't pay them a cent. What right do you have to declare the game worth it or not worth it? That's like being hired to mow someone's lawn and then being told the agreed fee isn't "worth it" unless you water the flowers too.

Even with an AMAZING single player, I wasn't interested in purchasing it because I knew after the story....there was nothing left!

Which is like the guy who hired you saying "I'm not interested in paying you because after you mowed my lawn, there's nothing more you can do for me."

I agree TF2 is fantastic, and I still play alot. Just to me, the Orangebox was a great deal because I got a multiplayer game with single player games, HL2 gave me CSS with it as well. Fantastic deals. It makes me want to buy it! That is what most pirates look for. Single player? who cares...I'll crack it and play it. Multiplayer? oh that looks like fun. Maybe I should buy it.

This is a problem. If developers are forced to focus on multiplayer just so that their games can seem like "fantastic deals" to those who would otherwise take what they want for free, then singleplayer games will stop being cost effective.

The bit about the EULA makes me want to cry inside, I know that much

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. EULAs are really just legal boiler plate. No matter what you "agree" to in a EULA, it can't take away rights that are granted to you by law. They could literally say "you agree to be Will Wright's towel boy for life," and it would mean nothing at all. The only thing a EULA can really do (aside from being legal boiler plate) is grant you additional rights. For instance, the Freespace 2 EULA gives you permission to install the game on your friends' computers using your copy of the physical disc.

With the attitude of stores in the UK about returning opened PC games

Pretty much everywhere, actually. Most places in the US don't even accept opened DVDs anymore.

My take on the DRM is simple. If I want the game, I'll buy it and bypass the DRM regardless of what kind it is. If I don't want the game, I don't buy it, and I won't complain about the DRM because I didn't want the game it "protects" in the first place. And I don't want Spore - the game sounds fascinating on a technical level, but ultimately really boring to play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next