Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 12:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on PhysX
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 00:12 

Well, I clocked my card up from stock speeds to FTW speeds (670/1458/1188) and my framerate in Lighthouse has jumped worlds.

Inexplicable, but it might work for you too! :D

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 17:55 

Its marketing.

NVIDIA CAN do this. But then what would DX11 have to offer? They've beat DX10 into the ground...no one cares. Alot of gamers are on XP still. DX11 offers in-game intergrated physics? ZOMG MUST UPGRADE! its really a business instead of science. Its available, just not to the public...yet...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 10:11 
Editors
Editors

No PhysX in AoC afaik; but physics, using CUDA ;) Sounds cool that devs can use CUDA the way they want, rather than being "forced" into using PhysX. It's even better that physics become a part of DX...

However PhysX is a beast of its own with some unique features (advanced all-in-one physics engine w/ soft bodies, high parallelism allowing persistent debris, etc.) that still make it an interesting path for game creators to follow - even though very few games would ever use even half of its capabilities.

The more options for devs to effectively implement physics in their games depending on their specific needs, the better I guess. Be it by using GPU-accelerated PhysX, CPU-bound Havok or any other custom solutions.

The Death Of PhysX has been foreseen since the engine first popped out. Who cares about he future really ? The only certain thing by now is that 'advanced physics' in games is the next big thing.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on PhysX
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 21:18 

If I have older PhysX games that installed the Ageia drivers in the Control Panel will they use the NVIDIA driver's PhysX? Do I still need the older drivers for these games?

Also here is a neat article about PhysX.

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT070510142143

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 22:19 
Editors
Editors

PhysX is a library so newer versions should take care of older games... You *should* be able to uninstall the Ageia drivers.

In reference to the neat article: http://physxinfo.com/news/4241/physx-an-easy-target/
And to add to the mix: http://physxinfo.com/news/3892/mafia-ii-is-not-using-gpu-for-physx-cloth-simulation/

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 23:38 

Don't blame me, blame Wikipedia. :mrgreen: