Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 18:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: STALKER info ...
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 10:34 

I have not played too much yet, but the game has not impressed me so far . . . just the standard FPS, except with RPG elements.

How is it online (let us just say for a good reason I cannot play it online)? That is the selling point for me, really . . . which has the best online play. I could be satisfied with a game for a month or so with just single-player . . . but after that? (A major reason why I did not get Company of Heroes).

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:16 

I'm calling this right now... STALKER is the best first person shooter ever to come out on the PC. I cannot for the life of me think of one other computer game that has as much atmosphere and realism as this game does.

I really feel like i am over there in russia somewhere. This game really takes me away to another reality. Very cool, Man this game is really really good.

Holy cow! This game rocks! When was the last time you had a pack of wild dogs chase you down and maul you to death?!!!

Has anyone seen lightning like that in the sky before? The sound effects are completely dead on and the enemy AI is the best I have ever seen... OMG

This game is ten times better than FEAR!!! The weather engine in this game is insanely creepy! I have NEVER been in a game before where I was inside a dark building and had lightning in the sky light up the room for a few seconds.. omg lol

No other game I have ever played has ever given me this much atmosphere and realism. I hope you guys that cant get the game to run go out and buy better video cards or something.. cuz this game is the best first person shooter EVER MADE PERIOD!!

Good lord...

The game is decent. BEST GAME EVER OMGWTFBBQ it is not.

It's cool you like it and all, but you are the definition of a post-release hype fanboy. How is Vanguard treating you these days? Still playing it or did you quit it like everyone else?

Anyhoo...

Why does it seem like you are 3 feet tall in STALKER? When you are standing next to others talking to them... you always have to look up at them? It's annoying because it feels like you are always crouching.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:21 
Editors
Editors

that was my first thought as well. LAGGY...it just SEEMS slow. Until that gets fixed I'll probably not bother with it...graphics are decent, concept is good...gameplay...not steller at all.

I'm glad it's not just me who feels that it's laggy. :) But still, that sucks that others have problems. :(

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:34 
Editors
Editors

I'm loving it ... it isn't laggy for me unless I enable SLi ... :roll:

Saying that I'm not very far into the game ...
I have spent most of my time tweaking or looking for tweaks for a better experience.

Like ...
Fixing the text for TripleHead ... two days of trial and error with the files !!
Reducing the size of the crosshair ... so glad about this one ... :D
Adding more items to buy in the traders shops ... (***)
Change the players height to be more real ... it seemed very low ... (***)
Change the weights of certain items in my inventory and added the ability to carry more ... (***)
Changed the names of the guns to real names ... found mod on the net.
Worked out how to add edge softening to the deferred lighting the game uses when the lighting is at max. (Normal anti-aliasing can only be used with Static lighting)
Played with the damage and weapons to try to make the game less frustrating ... (***)

(***) From what I have read on the net the patch addressed many issues that are not mentioned in the readme for the patch so some of the changes/tweaks I have made may no longer be needed.
That said ... unless Racer_S updates his FOV tool I won't be using the patch ... :wink:

It is now great fun and it gets better the more I play ... it's getting close to being as good the original Deus Ex ... :shock:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:37 
Editors
Editors

Yes, mate, but you have 8800GTX. :P

:lol:

It's good to know if I do upgrade in April it will probably get a lot more playable. :D

And all those tweaks! :shock:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:41 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... it's quite a tweakable game ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 21:43 
Editors
Editors

Should be as good for the Modding community as Oblivion, then! :D:D:D

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 16:49 
Editors
Editors

I am loving this game ... the further I get into it the better it seems to get ... :shock: 8)
I've just got to a part that is really creepy ... really CREEPY ! ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 19:23 

First - I LOVE this game. Yes, it has its problems, but it presents the most immersive game world I've seen in a long time and that's a quality I value highly. I often think of the best games as vacations into strange and unknown worlds, and Stalker definitely delivers that feeling, big time. The graphics and lighting are some of the best I've ever seen - way better than Half-Life 2, way better than Doom 3 IMO (though I'm not sure if those are still considered standard bearers graphics-wise.) Just flat out beautiful, even though the world itself is fittingly bleak. The character models could be better though - they don't rise to the level that the environment itself does.

Second - not sure if someone has posted this, but there is finally a mod page up for Stalker here:

http://stalker.filefront.com/files/Stalker/Mods;3785

I've tried googling for mods and come up empty so I thought I'd share this page with the rest of you if you haven't seen it ..

Sad that the GSC forum is STILL down ... they shut it down days ago. I wonder if they got swamped with complaints from consumers angry about the loss of saved games after the patch? I can see how that would be frustrating (I wasn't far enough into the game at that point for it bother me, though).

Hope we get an FOV fix for the patched game, but I'm going to keep playing it, regardless.

Here's an English-language forum where new mods are discussed ...

http://board.oblivion-lost.de/forumdisplay.php?f=98

You can also post requests there as well. I'm definitely going to try the mod that eliminates timed quests, which I hate - and the mod that gives guns their real-life names ...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 19:44 
Editors
Editors

I totally agree with you Blinky ... awesome game ... :shock:
For me gameplay is the the key to a good game ... this has tones of it !

The game just gets better and better the more I play ...
For those in doubt ... get past the first hour or so before you completely make your mind up ... I think it will grow on you too ... :mrgreen:

I might get that mod that eliminates timed quests ... they are such a pain ... not that I have gotten to one yet (that I noticed) but I usually don't like timed missions etc. in games.

Thanks for the links ... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next