Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 08:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 16:18 

I think you are missing the point.
The point is that you dont mind while others do. So if asked then you would say "yes I would like to participate" while others would say No.
The point is that you dont have a choice.
And yes it is like someone watching you pee... its literally EA watching every move you make on the web.
Very "similar" to someone watching every move you make in the privacy of your home.

I know that, but my point is - unless youre plotting a terrorist attack or have indecent photos of kids why do you care if your PC usage is on a statistical spreadsheet with like 10 million other PC's? Id have thought as long as no one can see your personal details such as credit card number, national insurance, home address, then no harm or nuissance can be done towards you, therefore theres no issue or cause for concern?

This may sound like im defending EA, im not. Im just discussing reason about all points of view.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 20:49 

Apparently, EA has realized that they f*cked up: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ea-revises-origins-eula-to-make-it-sound-decidedly-less-sinister/3624/

Its a step in the right direction, but it could still be alot better. The new EULA almost sounds like an apology.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 21:10 

Unfortunately I think it was probably just a test, now they know the people weren't ready. But that doesn't mean they always won't be.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 22:57 

The revised EULA isn't any different than before. Like the linked article says, it's reworded to make it sound less sinister. The issue at hand is that in order to use Origin at all, you have to participate in their data mining. That's something I do not want. Steam collects information about my computer hardware and OS. But they do so in a survey which is completely optional and brings up a dialog box asking/prompting you for your agreement.

I do not want a dynamic experience. I want to opt out of anything that has to do with monitoring what I do with my computer. But you can't get to do that with Origin. All I want is EA to simply make it so that the only thing EA knows are the things I personally submit to them. That's it. I can care less about EA thinking that I may like this so-and-so game.

So unless I misinterpreted something in the revised EULA, Origin still will leave a sour taste as I shove a 40mm shotgun blast down someone's throat.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 13:16 

The revised EULA isn't any different than before. Like the linked article says, it's reworded to make it sound less sinister. The issue at hand is that in order to use Origin at all, you have to participate in their data mining. That's something I do not want. Steam collects information about my computer hardware and OS. But they do so in a survey which is completely optional and brings up a dialog box asking/prompting you for your agreement.

I do not want a dynamic experience. I want to opt out of anything that has to do with monitoring what I do with my computer. But you can't get to do that with Origin. All I want is EA to simply make it so that the only thing EA knows are the things I personally submit to them. That's it. I can care less about EA thinking that I may like this so-and-so game.

So unless I misinterpreted something in the revised EULA, Origin still will leave a sour taste as I shove a 40mm shotgun blast down someone's throat.

I Completly agree :)

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 16:44 

This doesn't mean that once you and millions of others are buried in the online play that EA won't slip revisions into the EULA, a small update screen blinking in and out like so many companies use and you'll never know, or most won't..

Seems EA's arrogance and self involvement is finding new ways to push more users to bit torrent. I have a feeling the guy who did the ALterIW network will be in great demand to build a MW3 and BF3 network.

Post subject: that just remind me this
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 19:40 
Editors
Editors

that just remind me this Youtube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdIA0jeW-24

looks like i wont play BF 3 on my own computer ;)

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 16:27 

While agree that this data mining should be optional, the over the top, outrageous language and exaggerating what it does doesn't help make serious argument. From reading the Eula Thayer don't monitor Internet traffic, individual files, key log, web cam footage, etc. It monitors it's own application use and catalogs installed software and hardware on the pc. Is this too far? Everyone has an opinion, but really focus on the actual issue, not mudding it by saying it does something it doesn't.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011, 07:11 

Somewhat related... EA has updated their Origin Terms of Service doc... They now follow Sony's example in the "you can't file a class action lawsuit against us" clause. News article at Kotaku, with excerpts here:

By accepting these terms, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY THIS PROVISION, YOU AND EA ARE FOREGOING THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL.

YOU AND EA AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING.

I just don't understand it these days. Why must we agree to something in order to use a company's software? The users, gamers, and players want to just play the game. Why are we being forced to agree to some obnoxious agreement terms that protects the company more than it protects the people who uses the software?

I don't agree with the things that EA is shoving into their Origin service. Yet to be able to play BF3, I'm being forced to agree to it. Why can't I simply say "no" and have EA provide a substitute or alternative of some sort?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011, 09:14 

They may have those clauses there, but that really doesn't stop any one from actually filing a class action, that clause is there to just scare away those that might try something. At least that's the way it works in the few companies I have worked for.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."