Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 23:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 13:32 

[quote]'Only' 25% said they do it all the time. Along with 18% on the console. Its not /that/ much different.

True, but that includes all consoles.

I don't know anyone who didn't mod their original Xbox to play old console games.

Why does it matter what era they are pirating from?

Are you saying that its okay If I pirate say Dues Ex?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 15:44 

[quote][quote]'Only' 25% said they do it all the time. Along with 18% on the console. Its not /that/ much different.

True, but that includes all consoles.

I don't know anyone who didn't mod their original Xbox to play old console games.

Why does it matter what era they are pirating from?

Are you saying that its okay If I pirate say Dues Ex?

Where did I say it was okay?

You said the rates were not drastically different, I said it includes old consoles which were easier to pirate with.

?

And, since you mentioned it, I do not have a problem with "pirating" games you cannot buy new anywhere, no, so in that sense age matters. Whether I pay $100 for System Shock 2 on ebay or not the old publisher and developers get nothing from it. If they rerelease it, I will gladly buy it, but in the interim it doesn't really matter. Deus Ex is still sold though, so it does not fall under this category.

And that comes from a huuuuuge piracy hater.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 16:13 

I said it includes old consoles which were easier to pirate with.

I disagree, the Wii is easily the easiest console to pirate with.

The original Xbox was decently easy, it still required additional hardware that 99% of people didn't have. (Those pieces being a Memory card and a method to connect it to the computer, via AR or a USB xbox controller converter.)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 20:07 

Internet Poll.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 21:57 

Things like this are the reason that I still bought Assassin's Creed 2 despite the DRM. Ubisoft has reached oppressive, draconian methods at this point to control our gaming, but they've done so because pc gamers as a community won't fork out the cash to save the very industry that they love so much.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 22:07 

[quote]I said it includes old consoles which were easier to pirate with.

I disagree, the Wii is easily the easiest console to pirate with.

The original Xbox was decently easy, it still required additional hardware that 99% of people didn't have. (Those pieces being a Memory card and a method to connect it to the computer, via AR or a USB xbox controller converter.)

I don't really know how they compare, all I have is friends to go on and I know most of them modded their Xbox to play old 2D console games, which at the time I thought was no big deal because those games could no longer be bought anywhere. Now we have WiiWare and collections and other such things.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 22:56 

Didn't have, but were still incredibly easy to get.

AR was twenty bucks at any Gamestop, and then you only needed Splinter Cell, Mechassault, or Agent Under Fire. It's not like you had to rip open the console and flash the firmware.

I, for one, totally disagree about "supporting the industry you love" by giving into Ubisoft's draconian DRM. Vote with your dollar - DRM only hinders paying customers. If you're so desperate to play it, find a friend who has it, just pirate it (not that I'm endorsing such an action), or go without playing that game. If you keep buying games with horrible DRM attached to them the issue is only going to get worse.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 23:43 

[quote]The original Xbox was decently easy, it still required additional hardware that 99% of people didn't have. (Those pieces being a Memory card and a method to connect it to the computer, via AR or a USB xbox controller converter.)

AR was twenty bucks at any Gamestop, and then you only needed Splinter Cell, Mechassault, or Agent Under Fire. It's not like you had to rip open the console and flash the firmware.

I, for one, totally disagree about "supporting the industry you love" by giving into Ubisoft's draconian DRM. Vote with your dollar - DRM only hinders paying customers. If you're so desperate to play it, find a friend who has it, just pirate it (not that I'm endorsing such an action), or go without playing that game. If you keep buying games with horrible DRM attached to them the issue is only going to get worse.

Well, that wasn't really my argument. I was arguing that although I find DRM to be a flaw, I still bought AC2 because I think that we've caused companies to reach this level. I think that our community has driven Ubisoft to this so I can't blame them for it. Since I have a really stable internet connection, I've actually yet to have a single instance of DRM-trouble while playing, so it's worked out quite well thusfar.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 02:06 
Insiders
Insiders

If you keep buying games with horrible DRM attached to them the issue is only going to get worse.

How would that make it worse? *Pirating* games with DRM, a strategy which you actually suggested, would make the issue worse, for what should be obvious reasons. But if games with DRM sell, and therefore it worked, why would they invest in even more DRM?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 03:11 

I don't really know how they compare

Pretty much this:

Yes but compared to hacking a Wii, the only thing that you need is an SD Card which most people have already for their digital cameras or phones.