Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 22:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Modern WarFAIL 2
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:11 
Insiders
Insiders

One of the annoying things about lack of servers is the subsequent lack of community. I have an XBox and I have a group of mates that play BFBC every monday with, the match making service is fine for that. We join as a party and never get split, just great.

What it misses though is the community you get with seeing the same guys every time you go to certain servers, have a laugh with them and groan the most when you get slotted by them (damn you, Rubbishbin2000 for hundreds of deaths over many hours of BF2!). I cannot recall ever seeing the same name twice while playing BFBC, they are all just faceless targets. Whereas there are guys I have played with/against on and off for years using dedicated servers, and in different games... cos they go to the same BF2, BF2142, oD4 etc servers as I do

It sucks a lot

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 14:43 

Well I was going to buy this and Borderlands...

But both are listening servers...

So MP is dead.

Modding is dead.

Competitive gaming is dead.

Oh well.....

:'(

Hilarious because since Prototype the only games i've bought have been half life blue shift, fallout series (1,2, tactics) and darkest of days.

Hm... so Dragon Age Origins it is then...

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 16:23 

Well I was going to buy this and Borderlands...

Wellll Borderlands is more along the lines of something like diablo with guns isnt it? Those types of games have never had dedicated serves.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 16:29 

[quote]Well I was going to buy this and Borderlands...

Wellll Borderlands is more along the lines of something like diablo with guns isnt it? Those types of games have never had dedicated serves.

Exactly.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 18:09 

Definitely agree with Mach. There's a big community feel with dedicated servers and while I play stuff on the 360 with friends, it'll always be restricted to a "Saturday night activity." Or whatever days you have off, I dunno.

[quote]I did play a few rounds of Unreal Tournament on that cool level with no gravity though. That was fun.

That would be DM-Morpheus. ;) Love that map. Shock Rifle FTW.

Off-topic but: Hall of Giants with [extra] low-grav and super jump == awesome. Throw in some instagib for extra lulz.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 18:27 
Editors
Editors

Off-topic but: Hall of Giants with [extra] low-grav and super jump == awesome. Throw in some instagib for extra lulz.

Sounds awesome! When I made the Shock Rifle comment I was thinking specifically about nailing people in mid-air, launching them to the top or far sides of the map. Good times...:D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 18:29 

[quote]

Sounds awesome! When I made the Shock Rifle comment I was thinking specifically about nailing people in mid-air, launching them to the top or far sides of the map. Good times...:D

That's what I remember about it... that was like 10 years ago and I only played the map (and demo) like 5-6 times, but I remember vividly the fun of that map.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 19:06 
Editors
Editors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vOMuAhz6rE

Not as good as the L4D2 vid, but some nice moments.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 19:57 

They responded in a horrible Game Informer post that basically makes fun of anyone who cares and calls them "nerds" and "pc fanboys."

They said this system is in response to overwhelming complaints from normal gamers who find the server browser system and such confusing, and the modded servers with special people allowed to play elitist and annoying.

As a casual multiplayer gamer I agree, but the tone of the article and their comments annoy me anyway as a person hardcore in other genres who has been talked down to similarly by Bethesda and others.

Read it here: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 19:59 

I just learned about it right now
bad news but really, I don't care that much... I just don't have enough playtime to play every good game out there so ....

if that could stop cheaters it would be good for me, but I doubt it
if that could give them more sales it would be good for them (even if I don't really care), though I again doubt it

it's not because one can't use a product for free that it will go buy it ...

Well I wishes them all the success in the world, but I have my doubts about them achieving just that. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next