Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jul 2024, 10:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 14:53 

Arx Fatalis was totally awesome
I definitely recommend it, nice story although it needs its patches as I remember it. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again...

and the documentation for such games bundled without it, is readily available at replacementdocs.com

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 14:56 

I played vanilla Gothic 3 from start to finish and loved it. Yeah a few quests were bugged but otherwise i did everything and got two of the endings. Awesome, amazing game. Much much better than Oblivion (without mods). I put around 200hrs into each of them, but characters/story/quests etc. were all much more interesting in Gothic 3. Especially the weird tablet quests in the desert and the smiths quests (if I remember correctly...) it was a long time ago...

For me too, Gothic 3 was much better than oblivion, better stories, better sense of scale, better sense of achievements since very few things really respawn

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 17:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Cranky, out of those games, I'd say the only one you need need need to play is Planescape Torment - Bioware's BEST RPG ever. That game puts all other Western RPGs to shame, it really does.

I've played all of them, and I intend to finish all of them. Actually, I've got in total 64 games on my list, and those were just the RPGs.

Planescape Torment, from what I have played, is second only to Fallout. And I have finished Fallout, but not Fallout 2 - I'm working on that one right now. Just got to New Reno and made my weakling 4-STR character a boxing champ by punching the opponents in the legs repeatedly until they can't stand up.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 18:02 
Editors
Editors

Eh, to be honest Planescape beats Fallout for me. But to each their own. I've always preferred fantasy settings to 'real' ones. Post-apocalyptic or otherwise. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Fallout is really the only RPG that really pulled off the illusion of giving you true roleplaying - actual free choice and not just a set of predetermined paths with predetermined outcomes. Planescape Torment still feels like a choose your own adventure book, albeit an unprecedentedly deep and broad one.

BTW, Planescape Torment is Black Isle, not BioWare. Black Isle also did Fallout 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2, and they assisted with Baldur's Gate 1&2 though BioWare did most of the work.

BioWare's version of "roleplaying" is to occasionally make a quest with an alternate solution for evil people. Like slaying a kitten instead of getting it down from a tree.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:04 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, Black Isle. I knew I was forgetting someone important... :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 16:36 

Hmmm...looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I think I may buy this one.

I haven't really played a decent RPG since Oblivion let me down so deeply. If this one is a return to form, that would be welcome indeed!

I'm just hoping that Dragon Age will also bring the genre back for players with, er, a brain.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 12:04 

Hmmm...looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I think I may buy this one.

I haven't really played a decent RPG since Oblivion let me down so deeply. If this one is a return to form, that would be welcome indeed!

I'm just hoping that Dragon Age will also bring the genre back for players with, er, a brain.

Wait so you haven't played the Witcher??????!!!!! :!:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 13:48 

Yes, I did! Forgot that one...and yes, it was an excellent game. See what Oblivion has done to my memory? It's tainted eveerrrything....it...won't....go......away.....stop the levelling, stop the levellling....killling vampires at Level 1 with a rusty sword....death by rats at Level 20.....aaaaaargggghhhhh!!!

I feel better now thank you.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 16:01 

[quote]

Yes, I did! Forgot that one...and yes, it was an excellent game. See what Oblivion has done to my memory? It's tainted eveerrrything....it...won't....go......away.....stop the levelling, stop the levellling....killling vampires at Level 1 with a rusty sword....death by rats at Level 20.....aaaaaargggghhhhh!!!

I feel better now thank you.

Oblivion is an open world hack n' slash game... think of it like that and it is more enjoyable, that's what I did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next