Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 31 Jul 2024, 16:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 15:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Pan's Labyrinth is one of the better movies of this century, for sure. The best of them all IMO, though, is Letters from Iwo Jima.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 22:26 

yeah, letters is great too, maybe thats why i got it on releaseday on bluray? :p

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 03:41 

I found Gran Torino to be Eastwood's best film of his recent offerings.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 18:03 
Editors
Editors

Hey, it's just like pharmaceuticals. They spend more on advertising than on R&D. I'm guessing bribes and kick-backs are included in the advert budget.

The fact that I know how much a couple of companies spend on R&D makes this even more scary...

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 20:56 

I don't mind that they spend a lot in marketing, but it seems to me they could do smarter marketing. I'm not really sure how many people bought Mirror's Edge because they saw an ad for it on Spike, but I bet it's almost none. I keep seeing ads telling me to preorder Halo ODST to unlock some special character skin on PC gaming sites... what dedicated PC gamer on a PC focused gaming site is interested in a skin for Halo ODST? Not many.

Smart marketing... that's where I think they need to focus. Don't ask me for an in-depth plan of action, I am not a marketing person, but it just seems to me like most of that money they spend is a waste.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 21:36 

well, yeah youre probably right, marketing could be more efficient, but youre example has a minor flaw i think, because if you consider that so and so many PC gamers also own a console, then its highly likely that this ad might also affect some people visiting that site... guess it always comes back to statistics huh?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 23:14 

well, yeah youre probably right, marketing could be more efficient, but youre example has a minor flaw i think, because if you consider that so and so many PC gamers also own a console, then its highly likely that this ad might also affect some people visiting that site... guess it always comes back to statistics huh?

While some dedicated PC gamers have consoles as well, I would assume it is a small percentage that play online FPS games on an Xbox 360. I mean, I could be wrong... but even if I am, wouldn't that still be pretty far down the totem pole of sites you target with that sort of thing? I haven't seen those ads on normal gaming sites nearly as much.

Maybe it is part of Microsoft's plan to get all PC gamers to switch over, I don't know, but when I see it on three or four dedicated PC gamer websites on the same day, such as Blue's News, it just seems a little off to me.

That's just one example in a sea of wasteful marketing though, at least in my opinion.