Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 05:51 

[quote]
When has that logic EVER worked in history?

It worked pretty well in the Caribbean. When piracy died down over there, the empires realized they didn't need to use their navies to combat piracy. So they stopped doing that.
True, but then again, that costs great time, money, and manpower. Implementing anti-DRM measures that have already been developed is quite easy and inexpensive.

The companies who actually understand that consumer's hate DRM for reasons other than attempting to pirate it are mostly the ones that are being eaten alive by most other companies. (Ex A: http://kotaku.com/5085915/90-of-world-of-goo-installs-are-pirated)

They would save money by not using the DRM, and then make more money from all the people that would not boycott their games.

World of goo is a bad example of such, Look at Sins of a Solar Empire. It was topping the sales charts, and exceeded their expectations big time. It had no DRM.

THE POINT IS THAT DRM DOES NOT WORK.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 05:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Implementing anti-DRM measures that have already been developed is quite easy and inexpensive.

If it drives away customers, and I'm not saying it shouldn't, then it's quite expensive.

Perhaps I could see you're view a little better if you stopped trying to imply all pirates are losers/no life kids.

What difference does it make whether I belittle the pirates or not?

You will continue to assert I should bend over to spy software on my PC

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said anything that would imply that.

I will continue to assert we shouldn't have to.

Believe it or not, there are ways to avoid dealing with DRM aside from stealing. I can think of two. You could just not have the game. Or you could buy the game, crack it, and keep it all to yourself.

They would save money by not using the DRM, and then make more money from all the people that would not boycott their games.

World of goo is a bad example of such, Look at Sins of a Solar Empire. It was topping the sales charts, and exceeded their expectations big time. It had no DRM.

This here is what we call confirmation bias. Instead of beginning with facts, you begin with a theory - that no DRM means more sales. You then move onto the data, and the first sample (World of Goo) does not fit your theory, so you throw it out, dismissing it as a "bad example" and focus only on the data that does fit your theory.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 05:56 

Perhaps I could see you're view a little better if you stopped trying to imply all pirates are losers/no life kids.
Not at all!

I'm merely implying that there are some kids (where does "no life" come into play?) who pirate things not in the spirit of anti-DRM or for trying to attain free games, but simply because they can.

The two other people I mentioned in my "rant" of sorts is a college kid (none of those exist anymore) and a man who flashes Xboxes and lives in his parent's basement.

I think both of us can at least agree that anyone who uses someone else's software and illegally installs it into another company's hardware for the purchase by pre-teenage kids as a living can hardly be considered someone who is high on a social hierarchy...

And im done posting in this thread,any time that cranky hermit resorts to picking apart each sentence of peoples posts its enough.

Depending on the DRM type, I don't think there would potentially be all that much saving done...

Although to be fair with Sins, it does use a CD key for installation and online play, and a CD key is required for such (prompting buyers who would want to play online). While I'm not saying it's why the game sold well (it isn't) you can't really disregard World of Goo simply because it works against your argument.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 06:40 
Insiders
Insiders

It's the same ol' "buy it then get home and download it for the crack." for me.

I think the most stupid thing of that whole FAQ is the fact that even AFTER you authenticate the install, you STILL need the disc in-drive to play. What kind of horseshit is that?

On the somewhat-bright side, I'm thinking the that the method for registering on unconnected computers will be the gateway to getting a working crack.

One big reason for me purchasing it is for MP.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 07:22 
Editors
Editors

I'm sick of seeing these threads, we've all seen it before it's the same topic over and over, so let's leave it guys, agree to disagree and move on.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 07:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Here's a better idea - instead of downloading the whole thing, just get the crack. You'll save lots of time, and you won't strengthen the piracy scene.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 07:43 

I think the most stupid thing of that whole FAQ is the fact that even AFTER you authenticate the install, you STILL need the disc in-drive to play. What kind of horseshit is that?

On the somewhat-bright side, I'm thinking the that the method for registering on unconnected computers will be the gateway to getting a working crack.

One big reason for me purchasing it is for MP.
I'll admit it, I crack all my games.

After I install I see no reason to go and drag out the disc whenever I feel the want to start up a game. It serves no purpose in the drive, so why try put it in?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 08:37 

Thank you rockstar, you've made my decision to buy things from gog.com instead of you quite a bit easier now.

GTA's were always in the 'meh, kinda ok' category, now IV puts it in 'it's been fun, bubye now'

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 09:03 

Oblivion had no crappy DRM, only a disc check. Hmmm....?

Oh and to be more on topic: damn i was really REALLY looking forward to finally getting a chance to play some GTAIV... but sadly no. I will never get to play this game. :(

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 09:41 
Editors
Editors

You know the DRM factors were more of a secondary issue to me (the disc check just makes no sense coupled with activation). I was more baffled by the laundry list of required apps that piggyback on top of the game.

Games should be simple to use. Forcing anything on the customer that creates barriers to product usage is very likely going to hurt sales. Why a company would do this, I do not understand. Granted, maybe Rockstar has coded the "World's Easiest Installer" that will make everything work like a charm, without errors or hassle, and will even spit a chocolate chip cookie out of your CD drive while the game installs--but somehow I doubt it.

Another case in point: 2K immediately lost my potential sale for Bioshock when I installed the DEMO and instead of running, it terminated with a SECUROM error. Why would I buy the full product if the free sample won't even work?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next