Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Aug 2024, 14:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 14:19 

new content is always welcome :D
i think i have over 800 hours in my Oblivion save (been playing it since it came out :D) and i still havent "saved the world" :p ill save the world when i feel like it but im still doing side quests lol

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 01:09 

Yeah, I agree. I would much rather go back to a point and click style RPG like the Baldur's Gate games, than spend hours on Oblivion. It just wasn't rewarding enough for me. For one thing, once I reach huge levels, I want to be able to lord it over scummy Bandits, not be on equal levels with them.

I am sure you know that there are tons of mods out there that fix this problem.

Or you can do it yourself. :wink:

There are two integer values that you can set which effect leveled loot and monsters. The numbers are the maximum offset for leveled elements appearing.

This means that a level 10 character with an offset of 5 will only see loot/monsters from 5-10 on the leveled lists. Change the values to one less then the max level and you will never lose anything from the table. This means that a level 50 character can encounter monsters and items from level 1 to level 50.

I use KCAS so my max character level is 255. I set both the values at 254. This means that each level I only add things that I can encounter and I can still meet the level one bandit and stomp it good. 8)

You can make a simple plugin with the two values changed and everything should work fine.

iLevCreaLevelDifferenceMax
iLevItemLevelDifferenceMax

They are GMST values.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 01:47 

Sakatei - yeah, I installed a bunch of mods just to make the game playable. OOO, some texture stuff, etc. Helped tremendously but I hate having to use mods, it ruins the game for me. There is the issue of compatibility and bugs which generally comes up.

Levelling and scaling issues aside, the plot was boring and the world very derivative feeling to me. Morrowind was so fantastic in terms of originality, lore and challenges. Oblivion was definitely different...but better? I suppose that is subjective.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 03:10 

They both have their strong points.

I felt the dialog system in Morrowind blended all the characters together. Oh look a (insert class here). The felt like cookie-cutter characters.

I spent a lot of time modding Oblivion as well. I have made one giant plugin with all my favorite mods (MMM,Frans,Harvest,Illumination Within, ETC). There is over 100 of them and the total size is more than the original Oblivion. It runs find with only the occasional hiccup. Best of all no conflicts.

I love KCAS however. The old leveling system is dumped and I just play with no worries about stat increases. Want to get stronger in something, just do it. Like Betrayal at Krondor. :D

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 10:05 

Sakatei can you please give detailed instructions on how to do that?
I tried a mod once and while it was possible to still meet level 1 rats (or whatever), it usualy meant they were stronger at you from the beginning. For example as soon as I got to the surface for the first time I went few meters on the other side where there are 2 human bandits, one as an archer, and they killed me in like 2 sec.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 19:32 

The mods that do it usually add more enemies as well which would explain the larger encounter groups.

To just change the values..

1. Get the Construction Set for Oblivion. You can download it from the Elder Scrolls Website.

2. Install TESCS (The Elder Scrolls Construction Set 8) )

3. Open the TESCS.

4. Under the "File" menu select "Data...".

5. You will see a list of all plugins (mods) you have in the Oblivion Data directory. Select the "Oblivion.esm" plugin so it has the x marked. Make sure nothing else is selected.

6. Click "OK". The plugin will now load. You should not get any errors because only the "Oblivion.esm" should be loading.

7. After it has loaded go to the "Gameplay" menu and select "Settings...".

8. You should see a list of variable names on the left. Ones that start with "f" are floats, ones that start with "i" are integers, etc. Find the listed variables...

iLevCreaLevelDifferenceMax
iLevItemLevelDifferenceMax

9. When you select the variable names you will see the numeric value in the right field. They should both be "8". Based on what you know about the level difference select a more approiate number for both.

10. When you are done click "OK". You should see an "*" by the title on the Title Bar.

11. Go to the "File" menu and select "Save".

12. Name your plugin and click "Save"

13. Exit the TESCS.

14. Go to the Oblivion launcher or the Oblivion Mod Manager, whatever you use. Select and activate your plugin.

- If you are using Oblivion Mod Manager make sure the plugin loads last or close to it. If two plugins change the same thing the one loaded second overrides the first one. This is why the original "Oblivion.esm" always loads first. If you add a plugin made after the one you made it will load after. You can update your plugin by oening it in the TESCS and saving it again. Or you can change the date created value or load order in the Oblivion Mod manager -

You should be good to go.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 22:07 

I don't understand your step 9. :?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 23:04 

Pick a value close to what you think your max level would be. Vanilla Oblivion max is around 100 so put 99 if that is the case.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007, 07:53 

Heh, I understood what you said about changing the number. What I don't understand is what the number does.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007, 17:22 

Then why ask for it? :D

http://cs.bethsoft.com/constwiki/index.php/ILevCreaLevelDifferenceMax

It keeps things from being removed from the leveled lists.