Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 10:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:28 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with ad-supported free games. They tell you up front that the game is ad-supported, you don't have to pay a thing, and it's up to you if you play it or not.

Now, ad-supported paid games are another matter. If a game forces ads on me and doesn't give me any benefits to make up for it -- discount on the purchase price, additional content, etc -- chances are I'm not going to buy it.

The trend towards ad-supported games is unmistakable. But free games in exchange for putting up with some non-intrusive (loading screens) ads is fine with me.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:48 

Speaking of BF2142, that's exactly what EA did. Full game price, ingame ads, unstable/buggy release, it was basically the worst of all worlds.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 19:46 

I apologize Tamlin, I shouldn't have posted anything, it's only jamming a stick in a hornet's nest.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:24 
Editors
Editors

I apologize Tamlin, I shouldn't have posted anything, it's only jamming a stick in a hornet's nest.

:lol: Thats true! Many strong feelings for and against piracy. Much of it comes from fustration over the means used to "prevent piracy" and "catch pirates", which basically only have the effect that they piss off honest users. There are also many greyzones used on both sides. Companies goes to the extent to take control over your computer which is your property, while looking for pirates. Honest people gets pissed off by this. I can see where they are coming from and understand their fustration. But, some use it as an excuse of why they are a criminal. Its like those blaming society for everything they themselves do wrong.

Piracy is wrong regardless. Therefore, WSGF doesn't support piracy or encuraging to piracy.

No company "ows" anyone a game or software. They should reconsider some of their methods though which only punishes honest people and making it more difficult for many staying honest. :)

Pirate discussions are fruitless anyway and a hornets nest as you say!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:33 

Heres a most recent example of 2 companies doing promotion the right and wrong way.

C&C Gold free iso release by their makers to celebrate 12th aniversary: right way.

Releasing ad-supported farcry/ghostrecon(been removed already)/prince SOD, over a subscription based download pos (fileplanet): wrong way.

Know why I bought GTA3/Vice/Andreas? because they released the first 2 for free!, no ads, no crippleware, old but great way to promote sales for more recent versions.

By the way Tamlin, so I know for future reference. Where do NoCD patches line in with your policies? like when I use em for games I've bought so I can enjoy the cd/dvd-less advantage that only the pc has at the moment.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Releasing ad-supported farcry/ghostrecon(been removed already)/prince SOD, over a subscription based download pos (fileplanet): wrong way.

You don't have to subscribe to Fileplanet. A free account will allow you to download those games. And there's nothing at all wrong with releasing a game for free but with ads in the loading screen if they tell you up front that the game has ads in it.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:40 

I won't be getting to see how their ad-support is, I'm unable to use fileplanet, no matter how many times I tried it always ends up spitting out 'couldn't add to queue'. They should've used filefront or some other site that actually works.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 20:45 
Editors
Editors

It's not exclusive to them,

All the games are mirrored on Gamershell.com already.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 21:06 

Heres a most recent example of 2 companies doing promotion the right and wrong way.

C&C Gold free iso release by their makers to celebrate 12th aniversary: right way.

Know why I bought GTA3/Vice/Andreas? because they released the first 2 for free!, no ads, no crippleware, old but great way to promote sales for more recent versions.

By the way Tamlin, so I know for future reference. Where do NoCD patches line in with your policies? like when I use em for games I've bought so I can enjoy the cd/dvd-less advantage that only the pc has at the moment.

From what I remember GTA2 was released for free (with the first one) about a year or so ago, perhaps 16 months.
Are you telling me that you bought the GTA3/Vice/S.Andreas only then?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 21:56 

Well, yes.

Being bored quick means I can't afford to pay 50+ for each games, I wait till they're under 30-40, so I bought those 3 as a trio pack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next