Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Aug 2024, 08:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you get sick?
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

EA games usually make me sick, but not because of motion sickness.

haha havnt played bf2 or bf2142 in quite some time...

I just dont stick with FPS games too long anyways.

I like head bob, makes it more realistic.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 20:19 

i also think it is mental thing caused by the nature of playing PC games, by the nature of this whole activity - sitting in front of your PC. I was able to play long time ago any game for long time. Then i could get involved too much in my favourite game which turned into bad experience occasionally. But you keep playing. Then there is point when you stop playing games so much or you just accept, that playing computer games has its pluses and minuses as well.

Pluses - that is your desire to play that game, you enjoy it.

Minuses - what you see is not REAL, you are looking into some place in front of your eyes where the picture is moving, the game is happening, it is different from what you see when you look outside when you walk the street, when you sit in the bus or lay in the bed. It is similar to watching TV yet different, because in front of your computer you are ACTIVE (at least in the mind). It influences how you feel while you are playing the game and even later, although in more fine-hidden way.

Don't be affraid too much. There is allways SOME KIND OF FORCE or just NATURE in you, that will show you, what is the way for you how to spend your time in front of your computer. It expresses itself. It will allways show up and tell you, OK, now it is enough, or it is time to change a game, or activity.

However, i would recommend to face such a problem (bad feeling from playing computer games) with an INACTIVITY (of mind). Being quiet when i am sitting in my bus that is carrying me home lately afternoon gives me different kind of experience, somehow supperior to playing any game. These moments happens naturally, like in bus while sitting, it is no kind of meditation practice, you can call it meditation itself :-).. so to sum it up, being in game can be wonderfull, time consuming experience, but being out of the game can be much more pleasent experience as well. Choose wisely, it is your life. PS but changing FOV may help as well :-))))))

Few simple methods that may help you brake the immersion in using your PC
- move your head from the screen, realize that it is just screen, it is no real prison that is constraining you in front of your PC
- go sleep (if it is late in night :-))

simple and effective

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 21:49 

I haven't had a problem with getting sick to my stomach since I lowered my resolution. At first, I didn't know how to put in a custom res, as my desktop is at 1152x656. I just bought Far Cry and it detected it right out of the box, so I'm good on that too.

I expect to get an actual computer monitor for Christmas though. My best guess, is that it'll be 1280x1024 max. Not a big deal, as playing games and such on my big screen is a big hassle at the moment.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 23:01 

Interesting topic. Games have never made me sick nor has motion in general. I'm curious: do those that feel a little off because of games also suffer from motion sickness?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 18:22 

Interesting topic. Games have never made me sick nor has motion in general. I'm curious: do those that feel a little off because of games also suffer from motion sickness?

Nope. Well, when I was younger, I'd get sick to my stomach reading in a moving car, but that went away with age. Now it seems I only get sick with games with a high FOV.

Odd though, because Prey and HL2 both made me sick running on a 20" lcd @ 800x600. Maybe it's just the way the game is made. They're trying to get too realistic with the look of the game maybe. Because, I played Oblivion and BF2 on the same monitor with no problems. More cartoonish games seem fine to me.

I've never had problems with consoles on my widescreen either.