Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 22:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 21:54 

just

This "spyware" isn't scanning for personal informations! It is just scanning your ip-adress and some other anonymous informations to send/show you adverstisments! There are just some guys who are paranoid and are hyping this shit. :roll:

So if you are thinking this is bullshit, you can't use steam for example. Steam makes the same thing, the only difference is that valve isn't using this information for advertisment, instead of this, they are using it for statistics.

For the console-gamers: XBOX-Live collecting informations too.

To my sentence with "do you have to hide something": I ment computer informations, ip-adress and stuff like that.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 21:58 

There is no reason they need to scan my system to generate ads for a game that is costing the same price as all other games out. Ingame ads are meant to lower the price of the game.

So which is it for EA, lower the price with ads or get rid of the damn ads.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 22:02 

I know I personally feel that if a game is going to have ads, then it should be free to play. The ads are paying for the development cost so it seems ridiculous to me to pay money to play something ad ranched. But sadly, we do that already for TV. Ads pay for the programing, Tv show cost, and prodcasting. Yet somehow consumers are still stuck with a $30 a month bill to pay for things already paid for. All we are realistically doing is paying for the privilege of watching those ads, or playing a game with ads. its so greedy that I wont even touch BF2142 because of this. I wont be apart of their corporate rule and treat my privacy as if I was a bug in a jar. And so I thought maybe you guys would like to know about this too. I'm happy that majority of us all feel the same.

Generally though I hate in game ads. Developers aren't allowed to really make them look like they belong in the game cause the sponsors want to the ads to be as noticed as possible. A example of this be like playing BF2 now. But when you walk into a construction site all the inside walls have the same new movie release poster every 3 feet. On every wall. As if someone would really walk into a building and hang 20-30 posters of a US movie in the Middle East :p if they want to do in game ads do some clever ones. Like, give people a dodge truck to drive instead of seeing a perfectly preserved dodge truck billboard.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 22:07 

There is no reason they need to scan my system to generate ads for a game that is costing the same price as all other games out. Ingame ads are meant to lower the price of the game.

So which is it for EA, lower the price with ads or get rid of the damn ads.

One idea could be that the advertisment will be personalised. Like Jedediah posted they could maybe scan your cookies. So if you are often surfing on sites about "karate" for example you maybe get advertisments about clothes or something. Implausibly (right word?!) but possible. :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 22:09 

Heh, what would happen if we went to Anti-EA Spyware sites all day? :P

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 22:11 

:lol:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 22:28 

If it was a google game, I could see personalized ads. This isn't google :P.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 02:26 

Erm...Steam only checks game times, logons, stuff like that...

They don't track what you do, outside of the use of their software...

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 02:45 

ROFL... you make me want to buy the game now! :lol:

Seriously though, if you did visit anti-EA websites you could expected masked men to kidnap you from your home. The next six months of your life will be spent in a "re-conditioning" facility where you are exposed to EA propoganda. Those that survive come out pro-EA and believe 4:3 monitors are the future & widescreen is just a fad. Those of us that have escaped live now underground... and have severely overactive imaginations. :p

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 03:17 

More news:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11290

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next