Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 00:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Prey Demo!
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 01:38 

I was playing it today, it runs pretty nicely, but its built off the Doom3 engine so no surprise, I honestly found multiplayer very cool...it will take...ALOT of getting used to. and I haven't tried single player.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 02:34 

I didn't like Quake4 and Doom3, both were boring, lacked any refinement and style and were basically disquisting: instead of thrilling with gameplay, story and action they disquist you with images of bloody guts, body parts and mutilated bodies, and Prey demo failed to impress me either for pretty much same reasons. I was bored with it well before it ended. The portal trick and walking on walls wear off pretty quickly. And um... it's just ugly.

Amd why the hell do I have to edit the config file to get 1680x1050? Despite the fact that the game interface offers wide aspect ratio? WTF?

Am I the only person who thinks that Doom3 engine isn't looking all that good? Flashy and shiny, that's all.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 05:51 

you forgot slow...:(

I wish this was a faster paced game...

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 06:08 

Doom 3's engine is laggy for no good "visual" reason if you ask me. I personally don't like any of Carmack's work since Quake2's engine... Which is the engines of all engines, it spawned HL, HL2, among dozens of other games. It was VERY simplistic and well, I thought perfect for the time it was made in.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 06:23 

I found it fun, I'll probably buy it if there is nothing better on the shelves.

And, what *is* it with the fact you have to edit the cfg file, but chose the aspect ration in game?

I must say though, I am loving my widescreen. I become so much more immersed, because of the peripheral vision really...I love it. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 07:37 

I really liked the game, but, like Doom 3 and Quake 4, it is not very immersive... I have yet to really be pulled into a game like I was with HL2, but that is another story.

One thing that bothers me is the way you are forced to look up or down as you go over a "corner" on the gravity walkway things... I kept having to move my mouse up or down after I finished "rounding the corner" to look straight in front of me again... well, something like that. All I know is that part felt very wierd, as I had to move my mouse when I knew I shouldn't have to.

Did the FOV seem to set incorrectly to anyone else? I seemed to notice a very slight fish eye feeling when using the correct FOV and resolution. Maybe it was just the fact that I was shooting at things that were physically above me, but the floor/ceiling they were on did not appear to be upside down. I got really messed up when the bar was to your side (on your left/right), but you were looking down at it. I knew I was looking down into the bar, like from the ceiling, but I was beside it. Confusing as hell, if you ask me, especially since it became much harder to aim.

Otherwise it seems like a really good game; the voice acting seems a little week, but much better than Doom 3 and Quake 4.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 07:48 

yeah i thought i got fish eye as well :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 16:05 

I enjoyed the demo only coz it was free. The grandpa and girl could have died sooner. :p Prey looks like a great Multiplayer game to pull out at LAN parties; otherwise single player looks like Quake v4.1

In multiplayer, it's just too funny seeing people running up walls and camping from the ceiling. :lol: And painting your enemies with an acid gun? priceless.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 00:27 

I loved it! (I also loved Doom3 and Quake4.) I've preordered it already to get the art book.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 15:23 

it is odd but nothing groundbreaking. wheres the next gen graphics rather than the doom3 stuff? worries me when my 754 chipped and 850 agp machine can run a brand new game maxed out at 1440 res

Do you like having to spend craploads of money on new hardware just to be able to play games with some more polygons and pixel shader effects? o_O

I'm very happy to see efficient (good visuals AND good framerates) graphics engines, such as the Doom III one, being used even if they're like 2 years old. I can't stand unoptimised engines like the Oblivion one which frankly don't run properly on older systems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next