Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 previews of Oblivion
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 03:01 

That's a good point IIDX, hadn't thought of it that way. Anyway, the countdown to Oblivion has begun! Have you guys heard anything to confirm the date the retailers are speculating (March 20-21?)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 05:40 

That's a good point IIDX, hadn't thought of it that way. Anyway, the countdown to Oblivion has begun! Have you guys heard anything to confirm the date the retailers are speculating (March 20-21?)

Sorry if I sound like a know it all, but I'm the kind of guy who reads ALL the previews and interviews and has the FINITE information, I try my best not to speculate on rumors. :lol:

Anyways, as it stands right now Bethesda is still sticking to their "Early 2006" release date, however they have said in the past week's interviews that they have a release date in mind, and are simply waiting to finalize it and announce it. Pete Hines specifically said in the IGN interview that they will make an announcement in the "next few weeks", and that "the end is near".

Another big thing to note is that xbox.com recently changed the release date from TBA to March 20th (or 21st can't remember), but Bethesda insists that it had nothing to do with them and MS did that on their own.

Either way, expect a release date announced within the next 2 weeks (possibly even this week, I'd bet on it personally) and expect the release date to be before the end of March (another thing I'd bet on)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 18:01 

Graphics look like they're still being optimized. The rig they set me up on was a powerhouse--a Dell 3.4GHz packed with an ATI X1900 512MB card. The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room

What about RAM and harddisk? Lack of RAM and shitty harddisks are the reasons for stutters, not the CPU/GPU. Oblivion has freaking huge outdoor areas, so 512MB of memory will definitely not cut it for this game. Since it's a Dell, I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 512MB RAM, because Dell don't know shit about what hardware is good for games (their gaming PCs have Intel CPUs - nuff said).

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2006, 18:30 

Just wanted to post a quote from Pete Hines in an interview.

Basically he said "whatever resolution your video card supports, Oblivion will support out of the box. If your video card can do it, Oblivion can do it"

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 04:59 

Graphics look like they're still being optimized. The rig they set me up on was a powerhouse--a Dell 3.4GHz packed with an ATI X1900 512MB card. The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room

What about RAM and harddisk? Lack of RAM and shitty harddisks are the reasons for stutters, not the CPU/GPU. Oblivion has freaking huge outdoor areas, so 512MB of memory will definitely not cut it for this game. Since it's a Dell, I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 512MB RAM, because Dell don't know shit about what hardware is good for games (their gaming PCs have Intel CPUs - nuff said).

If Dell sent out that rig with only 512MB of ram and a 5400 RPM HD, I'll eat my computer, lol. It had at least 1 GB if not 2 and a 7200 RPM HD.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 05:46 

They had 2 gigs of ram, someone else said in another preview.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 10:38 
Editors
Editors

:shock: Ouch. :?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 12:13 

Oh man... if the game doesn't run well on a x1900/512, 2GB RAM, 3.4GHz system, maybe we'll have to buy an XBox 360 to be able to play this game at good framerates... :cry:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 12:15 
Editors
Editors

Well, that's just stupid. :evil:
Who the hell makes a game that noone is capable of playing because current machines are not able to run the freakin' game. :?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 13:48 
Editors
Editors

Well, that's just stupid. :evil:
Who the hell makes a game that noone is capable of playing because current machines are not able to run the freakin' game. :?

Someone who has been paid a lot to make it good on a console. *cough*DeusEx:InvisibleWar*cough*