Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 01:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 01:36 

did anybody manage to get programs such as patch commander or jklauncher to work with the steam version?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 05:55 
Editors
Editors

I wish they had done this right, if they had updated all the games to work on vista 64bit I would have paid $50 for it as it would be like a full game to me. However to just rerelease old stuff I will dig out my old copies in storage instead.

I loved Dark Forces the first game, it was one of the games that introduced me to "high end" computer gaming.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 08:50 

I used god mode to get past that little yoda-like jedi dude. Screw him, that was just insanely frustrating.

Rest of the game is ace, I'm up to the final planet. I'm playing nothing but Jedi Knight and Deus Ex IW right now, despite buying several new games recently.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 17:59 
Editors
Editors

Deus Ex IW

So what is your opinion of IW? When I tried the demo years ago it was so "not Deus Ex" and rough performance-wise that I dropped it and never looked back. Does it have some redeeming qualities?

On topic: I dug around and found all my DF/JK discs. I do have the whole series--happy day. :D

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 18:47 
Editors
Editors

DXIW is crap. It's an XBox game, and it's very, very obviously one. Modern systems play it OK, but at the time it was the best example of a terribly ported horror of a game.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 19:20 
Editors
Editors

DXIW is crap. It's an XBox game, and it's very, very obviously one. Modern systems play it OK, but at the time it was the best example of a terribly ported horror of a game.

That's pretty much what I remember. I think IW was one of the first games that fostered my hatred for postfx, bloom in particular.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 19:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Deus Ex IW is just like Deus Ex if you castrate everything that was good about it for the sake of console accessibility.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:18 
Editors
Editors

Deus Ex IW is just like Deus Ex if you castrate everything that was good about it for the sake of console accessibility.

Except in IW even the plot sucked. If the plot had gripped me and kept me on edge the way the originals did, I could have forgiven a lot. However, it wasn't. Nothing about that game was redeemable. :(

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:36 

I like Invisible War. Is it as good as Deus Ex? No. Are the small areas with loads in between annoying? Yes.

Neither of those things mean the game is bad though, at least to me. Besides, in a time like now where pretty much every game is a console port, IW does not stand out in that regard anymore.

To play it right, max the resolution, force massive amounts of AA on it and turn off bloom completely. Then, download the texture pack made by John P, which is excellent. You can also shrink the HUD, which works well and makes the game look smoother, I also suggest you turn off the useless HUD elements which you can do in the options.

Do all that, don't expect something as "PC" as Deus Ex, and then play the game. You might really enjoy it, I know I do.

Of course, my love of cyberpunk and that genre's almost extinction might have something to do with that.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:05 
Insiders
Insiders

The consoley interface and graphics and HUD are minor annoyances, but what really kills it for me is the lack of the skill system. 90% of the awesomeness of Deus Ex revolves around the skill system. Without it, it's not much more than a mediocre stealthy shooter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next