Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 21:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Burnout Paradise
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 04:01 

I was about to shrug it off and say I dont know, but then i had the itch to play again so I hopped on to check it out for my self and..

Mine shows exactly what this wiki shows 2:48 since it got updated. I don't believe that License effects the time at all.

http://burnout.wikia.com/wiki/Burning_Route

As for the next DLC, theres 3 that I find particularly interesting:
http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/island.php (Premium)
http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/cops_and_robbers.php (Prem?)
And the next all around general free content update

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 04:03 

Well I got the game and am enjoying myself nicely. Though I need a little work on taking people down. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nxzoymmmyi0 As this video would show.

It terms of music, has anyone figured out how to do the custom soundtrack feature?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 06:16 

Mine shows exactly what this wiki shows 2:48 since it got updated.
You are referring to the Ultimate Box update right, because that's the only one for the PC so far isn't it? I am playing the UB version, maybe I confused the Hawker time with another, I'll check again.

@Jedediah,
Nah, you're doing fairly well for having just started playing. Once you get to know the map better you'll be fine. You went a little light on some of your failed takedown attempts, but being as you're new to the game and were on city vs rural streets where there are more pillars and such to smack into, it's understandable.

You don't really need to nudge the front end of their car over like that though, quite often that will result in too much speed and hitting something other than their car, esp in higher license levels where they go speeding by fast and you have to boost a lot to catch up. It's quite effective to nail their rear quarter or side, esp if you have an object or another car to push them into. Once you do it more though you'll find even pushing from behind then swerving a bit will send them off into something.

They'll try to do the same to you though. So if you suddenly feel like you can't steer the car and you see no one beside you, look up ahead for an out and try to boost to it. One of my fave takedoens is the Traffic Check, whereby you can use easily manipulated traffic vehicles to do the work for you. The best smackdown takedowns though are the T-Bone and Vertical by far.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 11:21 
Editors
Editors

Easy takedowns : navigate to I-88. No oncoming. Push'em into the railings, nailing their rear/side quarter like Frag said. Everything gets much easier once you've unlocked "strong" cars and/or know how to avoid wrecks, find a repair shop quickly if necessary, and so on. It takes practicing in the beginning but it'll feel all too easy soon enough ;)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 14:46 

[quote]Mine shows exactly what this wiki shows 2:48 since it got updated.
You are referring to the Ultimate Box update right, because that's the only one for the PC so far isn't it? I am playing the UB version, maybe I confused the Hawker time with another, I'll check again.

From the page:
In Paradise's free February update, Burning Route target times earlier in the game were extended, making them easier to complete.

Old time for the Hawker route was 2:45 (as you stated that you seen in videos and according to the wiki) new time after the update is 2:48.

I found this good to know

Barrel Rolls will automatically right themselves. Players can steer into the roll bypassing the auto correction to allow for more than one barrel roll. Releasing the stick will allow the vehicle to auto-correct and land properly.

So basically to do a double barrel roll you simply have to turn the direction in which you are rolling.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 18:44 
Editors
Editors

:shock: Thanks a lot, I *knew* there was sth fishy with my car doing only single barrel rolls and wasting the rest of its airtime. Knowing this might even help me getting the x40 stunt combo ! Sweet :D

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 08:02 

From the page:
In Paradise's free February update, Burning Route target times earlier in the game were extended, making them easier to complete.

Old time for the Hawker route was 2:45 (as you stated that you seen in videos and according to the wiki) new time after the update is 2:48.

Ah, I see, though I think they went overboard with that and should have focused more on the stunts. It's not only too hard to hit flat spins and esp barrel rolls, they could have at least allowed a few crashes that put you exactly back to where the timer was when you recover.

Conversely, I've yet to find a Burning Route that isn't relatively easy once you find a route that works well. You actually have to force yourself to be challenged more by purposely picking a harder route and/or use no shortcuts. I've been able to beat that 2:45 time on the Hawker Burning Route with no boost. I have consistently gotten times under 2:46 with no boost AND several stunt jumps thrown in.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 14:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Poor me, I cun't seem to get anisotropic filtering working on this farking game.

Letting the game do it, it looks like ass. As does forcing it via video drivers. Tried 181.20, 182.05, and 182.06 drivers. Other specs in sig. I've also turn off.on any other video optiosn ahving to do with texture filtering.

Help or ideas?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 16:02 

[quote]From the page:

Ah, I see, though I think they went overboard with that and should have focused more on the stunts. It's not only too hard to hit flat spins and esp barrel rolls, they could have at least allowed a few crashes that put you exactly back to where the timer was when you recover.

Conversely, I've yet to find a Burning Route that isn't relatively easy once you find a route that works well. You actually have to force yourself to be challenged more by purposely picking a harder route and/or use no shortcuts. I've been able to beat that 2:45 time on the Hawker Burning Route with no boost. I have consistently gotten times under 2:46 with no boost AND several stunt jumps thrown in.

Yeah I fully agree, In general the game is far too easy. I also dislike that theres not that big of a difference between the 3 car types, Like I have won multiple races and stunt runs (right before getting elite) with the inferno van. There was no reason for me to ever use a Speed classed car ever aside from burning routes, but even then I still probably could have done those runs with the damn inferno van.

But yeah somewhere I remember Atomica (which i love btw, such a great personality for this) saying that you have to boost lots and use shortcuts to win burning routes, On my -26 second hawking burning route I used no short cuts at all, and you've done it with no boost. :/

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 03:19 

...I remember Atomica (which i love btw, such a great personality for this) saying that you have to boost lots and use shortcuts to win burning routes,...
Yeah, I think he was a good voice over for the game too and the tips are blended in nicely, despite a very snobbish review I read claiming the guy was unbearable to listen to.

One of the things I liked the most was the casual way he mentioned odd things you could do in the game, applicable to online play. Like waiting on overpasses for unsuspecting drivers to fall victim to your vertical takedown trap.

I can't help but think it would have been a much more cool sp experience had they scripted the cars you shut down to pull such stunts on the player. Imagine finding the shut down cars in such a way, esp if they worked together against you. LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next