Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Jul 2024, 11:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2009, 22:44 
Editors
Editors

Yes H264 is one of the recommended codecs.

I only use DIVX because my H264 encoder will not work with fraps files.

Actually since I am sending it out as an uncompressed .AVI via Sony Vegas it should work. Going to try it now.

I do a ultra high quality 2 pass H264 in AviDemux.

Looks like now I have to do a 4 part test.

Vegas --> Large Uncompressed File --> AutoGK DIVX
Vegas --> Frame Server --> AutoGK DIVX
Vegas --> Large Uncompressed File --> AviDemux H264
Vegas --> Frame Server --> AviDemux H264

So far the 2nd part of my video I tried the Frame Server out and the quality looks identical to the first video without adding the middle stop of rendering a uncomrpessed video that uses up a ton of space and kills my HDD.

However until I do the exact same video via that method and play them side by side I wont make the final call.

Im doing test 3 right now, instead of taking the uncompressed file and running it through AutoGK to compare quality I am doing the H264 encode to see how good it looks and the file size it comes out with. I put a very large target file size so it will give me the largest file size to give max quality with that codec. I did this for AutoGK also. Using a target file size gives a higher qualikty 2 pass method. If I was to designate like a 200mb file it probably would look neary as good as the really large version.

The reason I did not do this is because I want perfect quality before I send it out to get disected by youtube and to make sure it gets the HD link.

If it was for my own personal video for sure it would have a smaller file size. I mean you can rip a 2 hour DVD into decent quality in 700mb, however that is below SD resolution usually HD stuff is tremendously larger and H264 is the only way to go IMO for HD.

Edit: Well test H264 finished but its totally wrong..

Quality is supurb and I know I can get a very small file size out of it and keep almost all the quality, but its out of sync just a bit in the begining and the color hue is off! very strange problem.

All the reds are blue, the blue is green, its like a shift of hue. Its kinda cool lol, infact you would not even know if you had not played the game that it was off but watching it side by side with my other file you can see clear as day that the hue has shifted for some strange reason.

Edit2: just noitced it came into AviDemux that way so its messed up from the get go not just the output. So wonder why it can not read the file right.

Edit3: Hah! fixed Dr. Google showed me the way. My losless codec is a 24bit file and Avidemux was treating it as a 32bit file so the colors were off. You can fix it just by running a filter called Swap U&V (UV Swap) and it looks right to me! However in the same forum posting I found the fix they mentioned the new release should have it fixed. So I am going to go download the new version and see if it fixes it without a filter.

Also I am interested in seeing how youtube handles a x264/AAC .MP4 file instead of a XVID/MP3 .AVI file. Even if my quality is the same for both at the source there decoder/transcoder deal may show very different results when it is viewed on youtube. So I'll stay posted with the results.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 00:24 
Editors
Editors

Ok my edit list is getting big so new post :P

My Uncompressed Middle File into DIVX via AutoGK is done, comparing it to the file that came from using the Frame Server the verdict is......

They are 100% the same!

Same file size, same quality. My eyes can not detect a difference between them. So if this is the case the Frame Server method is obviously the better choice for what I am doing to avoid killing my HDD having to process that huge 56GB file and it takes out a step in the process.

For those interested here is the website for that program, it has a Sony Vegas plugin so thats why its working so well for me.

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

I also got the new beta version of Avidemux installed and indeed it did fix the color problem without me having to use the UVswap filter. So going to do one last test here and that is to encode a x264 from the uncompressed file to max quality and then send it off to youtube. On my end the quality is the same though the x264 should be able to get much better results when I start making the file size smaller. Anyways take this file and send it out to youtube to see if it gets degraded in quality more/less/same compared to the DIVX file.

Also I will try a average bitrate encode of like 2000 to see how small the file will be and see how that works out too.

These big files take forever its been like 8 hours since I started uploading the 2nd part of my video and its still not done. Its not my ISP its youtube thats making it take so long.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 03:44 

Yeah i can also say that if you are getting high FPS in this game, it leads to insane mouse lag issues.

My 8800 gt only gives high FPS in the small rooms, hence i never really noticed the "mouse lag" as being a big issue like everyone was complaining.

But when i dropped a few detail settings and was getting constant 150+ fps i was getting the insane mouse lag. So i do agree that the developers have somehow tied the mouse movement to the frame rate (when they made it for the 360) and forgot that some PCs will just be able to totally shred this game at 150+ fps. Hence forcing V-sync (out of game, and turning it off in game) is essential for anyone running the latest video cards.

Otherwise the game is very fun.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 05:26 

My Uncompressed Middle File into DIVX via AutoGK is done, comparing it to the file that came from using the Frame Server the verdict is...
Above you said you were using Xvid, which actually is it? I prefer Xvid over Divx by a long shot. I did a comparison of Divx Pro vs Xvid in Adobe Premier Pro on some DiRT captures I had. Once I started getting close to the file size of the Xvid compression the Divx Pro compression started showing heavy artifacts.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 06:33 
Editors
Editors

XVID, as its generally considered a slightly better quality and much more widly supported since its open source.

I just got to work and part 2 was done uploading earlier so it should be ready to view by now. Going to check now...

And here is Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXsaFGp31U

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 06:53 

So, uh, about the game. It was alright, by that I mean I played it, enjoyed it, but I didn't find any "WOW" factor in it that would make it particularly memorable.

Anyone catch the Anime movie EA made to advertise the game? I didn't specifically look for it, but it was on Showtime very late at night one time. Didn't feel like reaching for the remote when it came on, and then I was like...wait a minute, this is familiar..

:D

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 06:54 

XVID, as its generally considered a slightly better quality and much more widly supported since its open source.

I just got to work and part 2 was done uploading earlier so it should be ready to view by now. Going to check now...

Not to mention is one of the number one most used video codecs out there simply because of the Scene. 700MB xvids and tv shows.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 06:55 

[quote]XVID, as its generally considered a slightly better quality and much more widly supported since its open source.

Not to mention is one of the number one most used video codecs out there simply because of the Scene. 700MB xvids and tv shows.

I miss stage6....

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 07:03 

I miss stage6....

Along with tv-links. :(

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 07:04 

[quote]I miss stage6....

Along with tv-links. :(

It was like BAM HD television. I was watchin mah Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

:cry: